• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

I'm sure ITK feels like dv7 does when rubes like me start dropping fire on World Cup threads despite literally not watching any soccer the previous four years.

So Del Po was trapped in an elevator in Olympic Village for 45 minutes during the day before his match with Djok and was rescued by the Argentinian handball team.

I mean, there is way more to gymnastics then what the broadcast tells you. Oh, and the USA was all for moving to the 2 per country rule 15 years ago.

ITK I was a little surprised to hear Biles referred to as GOAT so definitively by the announcers last night. Is that a consensus opinion for those that follow full time? Not that my opinion as a once erry four fan means anything but I feel like GOAT has to have Olympic gold.

Oh and hell yes Del Bro. When he is on he's unlike anyone else on tour.

Once Biles gets her AA Gold she will be solidified as the Greatest of All Time, man or woman. She's won 3 AA Worlds! So the truth is, the US was overscored. Like they are still way better than everyone else but UB in particular they were scored very loosely while the rest of the competition was super tight. That's why I say Gabby won't win an event final medal on bars. 1) The FIG President does not want the US to win all the medals & 2) they'll probably just give Gabby a more realistic score in event finals and overscore some other athletes. She's going 2nd in finals too and the judges tend to keep scores lower at the start.

Last edited:
So if you are favored and hyped do you think that makes things harder or easier since it's completely random judging? I'm thinking makes things easier as its baked into the judges minds you are good. Also an Insanely dumb concept in 2016 where you could easily fixated multiple cameras right a computer program and be done with bias forever.

So if you are favored and hyped do you think that makes things harder or easier since it's completely random judging? I'm thinking makes things easier as its baked into the judges minds you are good. Also an Insanely dumb concept in 2016 where you could easily fixated multiple cameras right a computer program and be done with bias forever.

That's a good point.

Female fencers sure scream a lot. If they only go 1 round, congrats to Muhammed.

USA trying to get a big win over Australia in Field Hockey.

Up 2-1 with 8 minutes left.

Except for my right for write missed typing but yeah any sport that involves judges seems like a dumb concept in the modern age. I mean have you seen that volleyball camera zoom replay it can get a ball on the line to like a millimeter

I'm sorry but they look ridiculous wearing those bright yellow Nike sneakers.

Except for my right for write missed typing but yeah any sport that involves judges seems like a dumb concept in the modern age. I mean have you seen that volleyball camera zoom replay it can get a ball on the line to like a millimeter

Some things just aren't black and white and can't be judged by computers.

Some things just aren't black and white and can't be judged by computers.

Oh there's the hot hand in gymnastics? The look test. Computers can diagnosis rare unknown genetic conditions I think it can figure out what small girl jumps, prances, swings and flips the best.

I know there've been complaints about NBC's "packaging" of the prime time stuff. But it was driving me nuts last night with the random delays they were building in like, "USA women still waiting to start on vault" (or whatever) when this was obviously earlier in the day and there was no reason not to go right to something and/or show scores immediately, etc.

Female fencers sure scream a lot. If they only go 1 round, congrats to Muhammed.

As long as it's not "Allahu Akbar!" amirite?

Archery is oddly compelling to watch. So much tension in each shot.

(Pun not intended, but I'm certainly not changing it.)

They don't do a good job of showing how far away they really are. They kept just showing the target and it's like wow they all hit pretty close to center must not be so hard then finally zoom out and it's so damn far. At the same time the bows look insanely complicated I'd rather watch them have to shoot while running an obstacle course like its American gladiators then set up there complicated probably aims for you bow.

Agreed that the bows are too complicated. It needs to be more like Robin Hood.

Back