• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 rio olympic thread

Right. USA handball could just go to NCAA basketball, lacrosse, and other athletes and say "do you want to go to the Olympics?"

Like the Jamaican bobsled team!

when I studied abroad in Spain in 2006 there was the handball world cup or euro cup or something and Spain had this incredible goalie who could stop anything. they got Rafa Nadal to fire some tennis balls at him and dude stopped most of them.

Handball is so much fun to play

Which sports are broadcast live? I figured a lot of them would be because Rio is only an hour ahead of EST.

Also, lets go Qatar.

Weird seeing Tirico on NBC, especially since he was just in Paris for the Euro Cup for ESPN.

Handball is really popular in this part of the world. It's underratedly hard as hell to play well.

There is nothing about watching it that indicates this is true at all. You can look at the arguments when people try and defend it but it all points to the same tactics, and skills needed to compete in the sports I listed before but with the hard elements taken out like having to swim or use a stick.

I have no idea why the US isn't dominant in handball and rugby.

There is nothing about watching it that indicates this is true at all. You can look at the arguments when people try and defend it but it all points to the same tactics, and skills needed to compete in the sports I listed before but with the hard elements taken out like having to swim or use a stick.

This. I really think Team USA Bball team could step in on a day off and at least be competitive. They've all got great hand-eye coordination and the spacing and movements are probably fairly similar. Surely they can run and jump just as well.

Have Kyrie and Durant running around on the outside. Post up Cousins or Jordan on the line. Klay Thompson could guard the other team's best shooter.

Yeah. They need a full shot of the archery stadium. We looked it up. They're aiming at circle under 5 inches in diameter from 70 meters away.

Wow, did not realize it was that far. And pistol and rifle have events where you get to shoot from 10m away?

My sport crush right now is handball. What a dumb yet amazing sport. It combines the aspects of soccer, lacrosse, basketball, water polo, hockey, and eliminates the defining difficult factor of each of those sports. You can use everything but your feet, you throw a small ball around but you don't need to know how to swim, you run but you can carry the ball and don't use a stick to cradle it. You can substitute on the fly but don't need to know how to skate. You can travel but only if you don't dribble once every three giant steps. It's like a child came up with this to play at free time during recess. It would be way to easy so we will make it you can't enter a 12 foot radius around the opponents goal but you can jump in the air and fly into the region as long as the ball is thrown before you land because that's cool! Just amazing, why isn't this more popular? Where can I play this, how are people bad ever bad at it?

Saw the Norwegian women play over the weekend. There are other good things about the sport.

This. I really think Team USA Bball team could step in on a day off and at least be competitive. They've all got great hand-eye coordination and the spacing and movements are probably fairly similar. Surely they can run and jump just as well.

Have Kyrie and Durant running around on the outside. Post up Cousins or Jordan on the line. Klay Thompson could guard the other team's best shooter.

Lacrosse players would kill at this sport. It is almost exactly the same skill set.

How dare you say that! Handball you don't need to use a stick and instead are forced to use something you use everyday and were born with.

I took a shot to the face Scott Sterling style playing handball in gym class one day. I had to dial back my enthusiasm from that point on.

How dare you say that! Handball you don't need to use a stick and instead are forced to use something you use everyday and were born with.

Oh, it's definitely easier than lacrosse. But my point was that the offense, defense, scoring, shooting, etc. are all virtually indistinguishable from lacrosse. Except you just forgo the whole stick part.

I know we've discussed this before (probably during the last Olympics), but why isn't volleyball more popular outside of the Olympics? It's a lot of fun to watch.

It's the actual technique of throwing a handball that's harder than you think. I grew up playing baseball and had an accurate and strong throwing arm, and the Croatian dudes playing pickup in the cages around here rifle the ball with ridiculous accuracy and power (including all kinds of tricky shots with spins, change up type offspeed stuff, etc) that I'm not even close to. It's pretty close to water polo in the fact that what looks like the easy part (throwing the ball into the net) is actually sneakily very heavy on technique and quite difficult.

The reality is that, like most sports, if you don't specialize in it and the technique of it - you won't be able to play at the highest level.

Yeah a lot of sports is true, but a lot of those sports require additional skill that just you have or you don't. Like water polo you can't be Eric the eel type swimmer you are adding a very hard component to a similar concept as handball. Handball all I have to do is learn to hold a ball and do some spins, I'll start practicing in my office against the wall, I'll see you in Tokyo in 2020.

Back