• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Provence/French Riviera Tips

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Hi friends.

Next year, my (soon-to-be) wife and I will be taking our honeymoon in the South of France. We were thinking of a 10-12 day trip, and doing one of the following routes (via bicycle mostly):

Coast:
Marseille > Porquerolles > Saint-Tropez > Antibes > Nice

Luberon:
Marseille > Aix-En-Provence > Avignon > Nimes > Montpelier

Mountains:
Marseille > Manosque > Sisteron > Veynes > Grenoble

I'm certainly open to suggestions on other places, but we'd like to spend a day or two in each city and ride a max of 35-40 miles between cities. Anybody been to the region before and have preferences?

sI7Mvbk.gif

You might as well spend a day in Monte Carlo and San Remo as Antibes is nice but can be seen in an hour or less. Nice has some nice fountains but is pretty dirty. Along the French Riviera, you'll need pads to lay out on the beach as they are pebble beaches rather than sandy.

check it out....rj and townie getting along. well done.

Are you strong enough bikers to do the mountains?

I have some experience there, and the wife is in good shape, but we'd probably keep any technical rides to just one day and get support to carry our stuff.

Does your wife-to-be have as epic a beard as you?

j/k

Just seemed like there needs to be a beard joke somewhere in this thread.

St. Remy is a nice little town. It contains the asylum where Van Gogh spent the last bit of his life (it's the town in Starry Night). There's a nice little self-guided walking tour you can take where you can see where he painted various paintings. Nice market there as well.

Highly recommend St Paul de Vence or Eze-medieval wall cities above Nice. Chagall lived in Vence. Tiny so you only need one day/night and probably too much duplication between the two.

Aix is terrific-beloved college town. Cezanne and Zola grew up together there.

I have zero opinions/recommendations, but am here to say whatever you do I'd love to hear all about it (and possibly do the exact same trip).

the train from Monte Calro/Antibes to Cannes has some beautiful scenery.

Townie and his wife are gonna find all the Pokémon's in south France

Back