• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Kure Beach, NC

Granny's Country Kitchen for a good ole southern breakfast one morning. You won't need lunch.

To recap:
We had a really, really hot week with no rain and barely any clouds.
We really liked the boat ride down to southport and our meal at Fishy Fishy Cafe.
We ate at Freddie's Italian at the Kure beach pier on a recommendation from a local and were underwhelmed. It was very hot in there and they tried to squeeze us into a table too small for our party. Their specialty is pork chops and they were good - but they didn't blow us away.
The boardwalk is nice at Kure.
The boardwalk renovation at Carolina Beach is super nice - and some better restaurants and bars have come into some of the spaces at the boardwalk.
The new Hampton Inn at the other end of the boardwalk from the Marriott should really improve the area once it opens. The area is already really busy with traffic.
We had a great time at the Tiki Bar and the Ocean Grill. The Tiki bar is outside on the remains of a pier and has a really cool atmosphere. And we all agreed we had the best meal of the week at the Ocean Grill.
The Fat Pelican was awesome - very unique kind of place.
We kept our boat at the Federal Point Marina and that was a really nice facility. We did another trip on the boat all the way up to Figure 8 Island. We anchored and hung out in the water just off the north end of the island. The water was crystal clear and we really enjoyed it.

Carolina Beach real estate is really under-priced compared to any other beach in the carolinas - if you're looking for beach property, you could do a lot worse.

Carolina Beach real estate is really under-priced compared to any other beach in the carolinas - if you're looking for beach property, you could do a lot worse.

How is it underpriced ? Does the market not work efficiently ?

Anybody have an experiences (good or bad) with doing a VRBO at Carolina Beach (or elsewhere for that matter)? We are looking at a few places.

I've done vrbo a few times and never had any issues. Check for good reviews of course. never used it in NC though.

Anybody have an experiences (good or bad) with doing a VRBO at Carolina Beach (or elsewhere for that matter)? We are looking at a few places.

Buddy of mine got a sweet place last year at Topsail/Surf City -- off-season, right on the beach. Had there not been a hurricane the day we arrived we would have had a walkway from the deck to the beach, but that thing got got. They repaired it within two days, though. Anyway, place was a nice, chill, beach place. Not sure how hard he looked, but we were satisfied.

My buddy claims that hurricane insurance for houses directly on the beach jumped astronomically in the last few years, effectively destroying the resale market.

My buddy claims that hurricane insurance for houses directly on the beach jumped astronomically in the last few years, effectively destroying the resale market.

That is a factor but it is mostly fear and not fact. Our flood insurance has jumped about 30% since 2104. We just renewed and it stayed the same as last year. But, I see that you mentioned 'directly on the beach' and we are one row back - so I don't know what those rates have done...

How is it underpriced ? Does the market not work efficiently ?

I guess you could just say 'cheap' instead of 'under-priced'. Basically I just mean you can buy a house at CB cheaper than other beaches - when they are similarly situated with respect to the beach and other factors. CB has a reputation as more of a blue-collar beach and that is largely true - but there are some beautiful houses there and the rental market is clearly very active.

Back