• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Kure Beach, NC

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
We are vacationing there next week - with friends in an oceanfront house. We have spent time in the area - Carolina Beach, Kure, Wrightsville, Wilmington, etc. - but never actually vacationed there for an extended period of time. So, we are looking for recommendations for restaurants and other things to do...
I'm sure we'll do the aquarium and Ft. Fisher... Are there any decent restaurants on Pleasure Island or are we going to have to drive to Wilmington/Wrightsville?

Also, we are going to have a boat so any recommendations about out-of-the-way beaches we can cruise to or restaurants/bars we can take the boat to would also be welcome - I'm sure we will hit up Dockside, but what else is there? Is the north end of Figure 8 still a popular boat hangout?

Masonboro island is a pretty nice deserted beach from what I recall.

For food go to sweet & savory for brunch; Jerrys for dinner. Both are near wrightsville beach. Jerrys looks like a dive but it's great.

You could dock at dockside and walk to both of those places by the way.

There is also a cool but small bar/restaurant across the street that has pretty good seafood, but I forget the name. Both are right on the main drag near the boardwalk. Edit: Shuckin Shack.

The Figure 8 boat area is still pretty cool. Went there last summer. I think there is a new brew pub in CB/KB thought its on the bypass inland a few miles. Of course, gotta go to Brits.

4 restaurants in Kure Beach: Jack Mackrell's, Freddie's, Port House, and Big Daddy's. Never been to BDs, but the other three are fine. JM is seafood and foo foo beach drinks. Freddie's is decent Italian. Port House is good for breakfast.

One bar, Bud 'n Joe's, which is a redneck dive. My buddy who lives in KB is terrified of it, so I asked a bartender at JM how bad it was. His reply was that you won't get stabbed, but still rough. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Didn't think it was that bad, more a walk on the wild side guilty pleasure. My fake nephew and his West Point buddies got into it with some of the locals over gay marriage. Rather than brawling, they left, but not before loading the jukebox with disco tunes as a parting gift.

Fat Pelican is awesome. Fetch your own bottled beers from a walk in freezer. Shucking Shack is good too. Never been, but my buddy swears by Provisions in South Port. Take the ferry there and have drinks outside.

Wilmington has much better options, but a hassle if you're drinking.

The Figure 8 boat area is still pretty cool. Went there last summer. I think there is a new brew pub in CB/KB thought its on the bypass inland a few miles. Of course, gotta go to Brits.

Went a couple weekends ago, cool spot but their beers were not super impressive.

2nd shuckin' shack, fat pelican, and brits. We hit those three plus Kate's pancake house for food and drinks. It was my first time spending a weekend in CB but those were all recommendations from my friend who has a condo there.

Fat Pelican is one of my favorite bars of all time. Really cool atmosphere and a ton of craft bottles to choose from. I've stumbled back to my beach house from there many times.

Frank's Pizza on the boardwalk and Britt's Donuts are must visits. Especially Britt's. Best glazed donuts on the planet.

Surf House Cafe has really good brunch. I've never eaten there for dinner, but the brunch is really delicious.

Take a day trip over to Southport on the Ferry to visit Provisions. Great seafood.

Shuckin' Shack if you dig Oysters.

Good Hops Brewing is the only brewery on the island, but they've got a really cool space that is dog friendly and you can order takeout.

There's now a Flaming Amy's on the island. Their burritos will require coronary bypass surgery afterwards, but they're worth it.

Jack Mackeral's used to be better. It's a little meh now. Big Daddy's is your typical fried seafood. Neither really worth it now.

Ida Thai and Ocean Grill aren't bad.

Fat Pelican is one of my favorite bars of all time. Really cool atmosphere and a ton of craft bottles to choose from. I've stumbled back to my beach house from there many times.

Frank's Pizza on the boardwalk and Britt's Donuts are must visits. Especially Britt's. Best glazed donuts on the planet.

Surf House Cafe has really good brunch
. I've never eaten there for dinner, but the brunch is really delicious.

Take a day trip over to Southport on the Ferry to visit Provisions. Great seafood.

Shuckin' Shack if you dig Oysters.

Good Hops Brewing is the only brewery on the island, but they've got a really cool space that is dog friendly and you can order takeout.

There's now a Flaming Amy's on the island. Their burritos will require coronary bypass surgery afterwards, but they're worth it.

Jack Mackeral's used to be better. It's a little meh now. Big Daddy's is your typical fried seafood.
Neither really worth it now.

Ida Thai and Ocean Grill aren't bad.

Surf House I think is the same place that has a very good selection of whiskeys if you are into that kind of thing. Good food when I was there if the same place. Second that JMs and Big Daddy's are nothing to rave about. Italian place isn't bad. Little breakfast diner next door is fine. Southport has a couple of cool spots right on the water to eat drink if you are willing to wait on the Ferry.

Good tattoo watching on the beach with military outpost down the road.

Since I see you have a boat, taking it over to Southport would be cool.

Last edited:
kure is boring. since you rave about cary you'll love it.

You want excitement?! Tag along one Monday night as I crash a Cary housewives bachelorette-watching party wearing a Chris Harrison mask and carrying a box of chardonnay. You likely will not be able to hang.

Surf House I think is the same place that has a very good selection of whiskeys if you are into that kind of thing. Good food when I was there if the same place. Second that JMs and Big Daddy's are nothing to rave about. Italian place isn't bad. Little breakfast diner next door is fine. Southport has a couple of cool spots right on the water to eat drink if you are willing to wait on the Ferry.

Good tattoo watching on the beach with military outpost down the road.

Since I see you have a boat, taking it over to Southport would be cool.

What restaurants in Southport are accessible by boat? We are thinking of heading over there tomorrow for lunch...

What restaurants in Southport are accessible by boat? We are thinking of heading over there tomorrow for lunch...
Provision Company. Best ambiance of any place in the area.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It's been probably 3-4 years since I've been there but The Pharmacy was consistently good.

Provision Company. Best ambiance of any place in the area.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Only open boat slip was in front of Fishy Fishy Cafe so we ate there... Had a great time and the food was good enough. The beer was cold!

Back