• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Just saw a local headline regarding David Cutcliffe’s thoughts on playoff expansion. Why the fuck would his opinion on this topic ever be relevant?

Probably just grandstanding, but a Baylor alumnus in the Texas House is trying to stop UT from leaving:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/07/22/texas-politics-on-track-to-collide-with-longhorns-potential-big-12-exit/

Purely a selfish move on his part, as his argument doesn't make sense. The world didn't fall apart when the Aggies left for the SEC a few years ago. As a result of their CBB success, Baylor is probably in as good a position as it has ever been to land on its feet somewhere, as opposed to 5 years ago when they were toxic and 20 years ago when they were even more toxic.

But I do feel bad for some of these teams. The Big 10 only has room for two more, and the ACC has the same deal. Both are snobby about who they invite, but need to get over that pronto. ND and WVU to ACC. KU and KSU or ISU to Big 10. That leaves TT, BU, TCU, OSU, and either KSU or ISU holding their dicks.

Baylor has been the best program in the Big XII since A&M. They’re one of a few schools with top programs in football and men’s and women’s basketball.

Don't see that with Tennessee their brand has plummeted. Can't the remember the last time the Vols played a relevant football game. They try to hype the Bama/TN game, and then, Bama drills them every year (along with every other quality team on TN's schedule). In 2016, Lamar Jackson won the Heisman, watching him was a big deal that year. In 2016, the TN QB was Josh Dobbs can't remember a thing Dobbs did except for a win against an SEC rank file team, UGA.

True. But the average guy who doesn't follow college football, at least not to the level where he will read or post on a message board, doesn't know that and doesn't really care. He just wants to watch a game on Saturday afternoon and if its a choice between Auburn and Tennessee or UNC and Louisville, he will choose Auburn and Tennessee.

Baylor has been the best program in the Big XII since A&M. They’re one of a few schools with top programs in football and men’s and women’s basketball.

I could see Baylor easily moving to the Big 10 over ISU or K-State.

True. But the average guy who doesn't follow college football, at least not to the level where he will read or post on a message board, doesn't know that and doesn't really care. He just wants to watch a game on Saturday afternoon and if its a choice between Auburn and Tennessee or UNC and Louisville, he will choose Auburn and Tennessee.

If they're both on at the same time and the score in the 3rd qtr. of one is 31-10 and he other is 24-21, I'm watching the later regardless of the logo on the helmet. But I understand that's just me; I'm "that guy" who found the final round of the Barbasol Open much more entertaining the the last round of the British Open.

I could see Baylor easily moving to the Big 10 over ISU or K-State.

Baylor is a relatively small school in a small city. Their football team is 28-33 since they fired Briles and the recent conference realignments have shown that men's basketball doesn't move the needle, much less women's basketball. And they aren't AAU members.

KU is AAU but outside the top 100.

Baylor is a relatively small school in a small city. Their football team is 28-33 since they fired Briles and the recent conference realignments have shown that men's basketball doesn't move the needle, much less women's basketball. And they aren't AAU members.

Baylor opens up a market and state they are not in, a state rich in football talent. If they took Kansas, they have no need for Kansas State and they already have Iowa. This is the same conference that took Rutgers for seemingly no other reason than it’s proximity to NYC.

First things first. The SEC was a leading proponent of a twelve team playoff. The reason was to increase the number of SEC teams that participate in the playoff. The admission of Texas and Oklahoma will further strengthen their argument. Texas and Oklahoma increase their TV revenues and become members in a western division that see Auburn and Alabama join the east. The playoffs become six highest ranked conference champions and six at large teams with SEC taking 3-4 at large spots and the B1G the remainder. PAC, ACC, Big 12, Notre Dame and everyone else generally out of the picture. It's a power and money grab by the SEC. Their only real competition is the B1G. Basketball has no relevance in the matter. Football drives the money train and it's all about money. It also gives the SEC the power position if the Power conferences break away from the NCAA. Smart move by the SEC.

I get the $$$... Totally get it. And I know that is driving this.

What I don't understand is the take that this will make it easier for SEC teams to make the expanded playoff. Seems like kind of a wash given the teams are going to beat up on each other more. If I'm Texas & Oklahoma, I have a MUCH easier road to a 12 team playoff coming out of the Big12 where I expect to be #1 or #2 every year with very few losses.

If I am a fan of a strong SEC team (UF, UGA, Auburn, A&M), I don't like bringing in Texas and Oklahoma.

What I don't understand is the take that this will make it easier for SEC teams to make the expanded playoff. Seems like kind of a wash given the teams are going to beat up on each other more. If I'm Texas & Oklahoma, I have a MUCH easier road to a 12 team playoff coming out of the Big12 where I expect to be #1 or #2 every year with very few losses.

If I am a fan of a strong SEC team (UF, UGA, Auburn, A&M), I don't like bringing in Texas and Oklahoma.

Lol as to the bolded "strong" teams. .

The SEC is advocating for 12 at large bids - no automatic qualifiers. The end game (at least from the SEC perspective) is 4 16 team conferences that control all meaningful college football revenue. All the playoff teams will come from those conferences. The conferences also know it will be impossible to sign a big revenue playoff deal without paying the players

Last edited:
A landscape shaping up to be even more boring than it is today.

Last edited:
The SEC is advocating for 12 at large bids - no automatic qualifiers. The end game (at least from the SEC perspective) is 4 16 team conferences that control all meaningful college football revenue. All the playoff teams will come from those conferences. The conferences also know it will be impossible to sign a big revenue playoff deal without paying the players

So, the European Super League

KU is AAU but outside the top 100.

Isn't AAU pretty much just a status that the Big 10 confers upon its member institutions? Baylor is light years ahead of Kansas as a school, and if KU has AAU status, then the rest should follow. If it's about research $ or something, all I know is Baylor has hospitals all over Texas.

I honestly hadn't thought of Baylor as going to the Big 10, but it isn't that much of a leap, I guess. They put $ into their football program and the new stadium is pretty sweet. Hoops program on top of the world right now.

At some point the sheer size of the payout the SEC gives over the Big XII enters the equation

Baylor is immediately irrelevant in all sports now that players can get legally paid above the table.

Back