• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

This is just the next move to get to four 16 team leagues and break away from the NCAA. It was just a question of which of the Power 5 would fall ... and the answer was pretty easy.

I anticipate that what is going to happen here is the 4 major conferences are going to band together to pay the players the most and the other conferences are going to get left behind. Sure, random players from other conferences will still be able to get random NIL money off social media or whatever. But the real money is going to be organized through the 4 major conferences, which will suck up a lot of the money and not leave a ton for players in the non-4 major conferences.

from ESPN

The Austin American-Statesman reported Friday that a Big 12 source believed talks between the SEC and the two schools had been ongoing for more than six months, though Texas A&M had been left out of the discussions. The report said the move could become official in a matter of weeks.

ESPN reported Thursday that both Texas and Oklahoma would likely owe the Big 12 upwards of $76 million apiece to buy out the remainder of their grant of media rights agreement, which runs until 2025. A new agreement with the SEC, however, would likely make that price tag easily affordable for the two powerhouse programs.

Several ACC athletics directors believed that in the next few years, their league would make a push to add both Texas and Oklahoma -- along with Notre Dame, which currently is a partial ACC member -- as it looks to restructure its TV contract, but the suddenness of the Longhorns' and Sooners' move to the SEC took them by surprise.

Texas A&M left out of closed door talks the last 6 months? Daaaammmnnn, that’s got to hurt

Texas A&M left out of closed door talks the last 6 months? Daaaammmnnn, that’s got to hurt

The SEC is probably sick of those weirdos too, with their claim to two retroactive national championships decades later and two conference championships where they lost in the CCG and didn't even play in the other.

ACC is gonna have to make some impressive additions.

Sounds like the other Texas schools are looking at Pac12

ACC ADs should have kept quiet and just been like “oh wow, good for them.” No need revealing you got punked.

———
One ACC AD wondered if this could be the first domino that would lead to a massive shakeup that would ultimately result in a 32-team "super conference." Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, though one AD also said he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12.
———

The ACC continues to get worked. They signed up for little brother status with ESPN’s ACC Network. It’s well past time for the ACC to go to NBC and work out a deal to bring ND into the ACC and get 3 or 4 games a week on NBC and a few others on USA and NBCSN.

Compete with ESPN instead of join them. Put the UNC-Duke game on NBC. It would have been nice to do that before Roy and K retired, thus lowering the value of one of the biggest non-football assets in college sports.

ACC is gonna have to make some impressive additions.

Sounds like the other Texas schools are looking at Pac12

Not many impressive additions to make. The ACC has a bad hand to play. I’d make a run at A&M right now though.

The SEC is probably sick of those weirdos too, with their claim to two retroactive national championships decades later and two conference championships where they lost in the CCG and didn't even play in the other.

and all the weird military shit

Not many impressive additions to make. The ACC has a bad hand to play. I’d make a run at A&M right now though.

No shot A&M leaves. I think Cincy could be a decent addition.

I don't know much about the logistics, but it seems pretty freaking clear that ND has to be the top priority for the ACC.

Of the remaining B1G schools, WVU makes the most sense to me. I understand it's not a huge market, but the WVU/Pitt rivalry is good, they have a passionate fanbase, and they are relatively good at both football and basketball. Baylor makes sense to me as well, but it seems like they're headed to the PAC12. Of the remaining candidates, Cincinnati makes the most sense. It would be UCONN if their football situation wasn't such a shit show.

The gap between A&M and Cincy is huge. There are no more big additions to make. At least take a shot at a pissed off A&M before settling.

Not to be the Debby Downer, but in this game of musical chairs and super conferences, there is a large likelihood that when the music stops, Wake could be left without a seat. We do not have the fanbase, size, market or money to make us desirable. This could all mean bad news for Wake and its time in the ACC. Here is one example of how that could happen.

EdPEGTTWkAUBO0l-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGSnWoAAqEEw-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGS1XoAAszNF-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGTIXgAAU4Px-1536x291.jpeg

*Switch Mizzou and Oklahoma St and the math is the same

Last edited:

If we add Cincy along with already having FSU, Louisville, GT, VT, Cuse, Pitt, BC, and Miami then we might as well add Charlotte, USF and Southern Miss and become the Big ACC Metro East Conference

The gap between A&M and Cincy is huge. There are no more big additions to make. At least take a shot at a pissed off A&M before settling.

I mean sure, but seems like wishful thinking. A&M know they have it good in the SEC, with or without UT. I’d be gunning for UT & OU, which it sounds like the ACC has been trying.

Not to be the Debby Downer, but in this game of musical chairs and super conferences, there is a large likelihood that when the music stops, Wake could be left without a seat. We do not have the fanbase, size, market or money to make us desirable. This could all mean bad news for Wake and its time in the ACC. Here is one example of how that could happen.

EdPEGTTWkAUBO0l-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGSnWoAAqEEw-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGS1XoAAszNF-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGTIXgAAU4Px-1536x291.jpeg

*Switch Mizzou and Oklahoma St and the math is the same

I agree that Wake needs to get good in a hurry to have a voice at the table and be an attractive partner. When our basketball program is bad, it's easier to dismiss us (sort of how we talk about Vandy). That said, I can't see the ACC dropping Wake for UCF.

Last edited:
Back