• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If/when ND joins the ACC for football, then the question becomes who is the 16th. Seems like it would come down to WV or Kansas. Realize Kansas football is absolute joke right now, but they have played in the New Year's 6 Bowl fairly recently, and if the rest of the Big 12 is forced to fend for themselves, Kansas should be able to take advantage. Realize Kansas basketball is sleazy, but they are a national brand, and adding them to the conference would be a big boost for the ACCN.

Kansas played in the Orange Bowl in 2007. And the Insight Bowl in 2008 and they haven't been to a bowl game since.

The ACC is not going to disperse. It's one of the 3 strongest conferences.

2019 Conference Revenues
Big 10- $781.5 Million
SEC- $720.6 Million
Pac 12- $530.4 Million (not including Pac-12 Network)
ACC- $455.4 Million
Big 12- $439 Million

Strongest how? What happens if Clemson decides to move to the Big 10 for a whole lot of money?

All the conferences are looking at what the SEC is doing right now and thinking how do we keep up with that.

Kansas has sucked in football recently because they have hired crappy coaches: Turner Gill, Charlie Weis, David Beatty, Les Miles. FWIW, they just hired Lance Leopold from Buffalo, and he seems to know what he is doing. It will be a slow process, but Leopold has chance to significantly raise the level of Jayhawk football.

Consider that Iowa State sucked for a long time (some pundits have the Cyclones as a darkhorse to make the BCS playoff) and back in the day Kansas State was the worst Power V program of all. If Kansas makes good coaching hires, and Leopold seems to be a good start and provides resources to football, Kansas could at least be competitive in football.

2019 Conference Revenues
Big 10- $781.5 Million
SEC- $720.6 Million
ACC- $455.4 Million
Big 12- $439 Million

Strongest how? What happens if Clemson decides to move to the Big 10 for a whole lot of money?

All the conferences are looking at what the SEC is doing right now and thinking how do we keep up with that.

OK Timmy. If WF's doomsday scenarios are Baylor getting an ACC invite or Clemson going to the Big 10 (the ACC owns Clemson's primary and secondary media rights until 2036), WF is in a good spot.

2019 Conference Revenues
Big 10- $781.5 Million
SEC- $720.6 Million
ACC- $455.4 Million
Big 12- $439 Million

The conference revenues last year are not the only measure of a conference's strength. The ACC Network launched in 2019 and still hasn't been picked up by all cable carriers, e.g. Comcast. The Big Ten Network has been around for several years.

OK Timmy. If WF's doomsday scenarios are Baylor getting an ACC invite or Clemson going to the Big 10 (the ACC owns Clemson's primary and secondary media rights until 2036), WF is in a good spot.

You think that pack of necks in Pickens County wants to play a bunch of "yankee" schools every year? The only place delusional Clempson fans think they belong is in the SEC, and the SEC has absolutely zero to gain by adding Clempson.

We need to tell ND to shit or get off of the pot. If they're not interested, grab two of the teams from OK State, Baylor and WVU and move on. ND can keep they're half in/half out place for all I care.

Last edited:
ATS are you suggesting that OU isn’t good and therefore I shouldn’t say so.

ATS are you suggesting that OU isn’t good and therefore I shouldn’t say so.

I’m suggesting you’ve been ripping on Oklahoma for years (mostly their defense). And they’ve been the better of the two teams.

I’m actually looking forward to how their style of play translates.

I’m suggesting you’ve been ripping on Oklahoma for years (mostly their defense). And they’ve been the better of the two teams.

Who doesn’t rip on OU’s defense ? I’m also looking forward to it. Gonna get wasted at some tailgates.

That style of play has been adopted by a few SEC teams lately, LSU most notably a few years ago. The offense translates fine. The defense was just bad all around, but Lincoln Riley addressed that when he fired deadweight Mike Stoops, which he should've done immediately upon becoming head coach. Instead, he waited way too long and cost himself probably one natty in the process. Their defense last year-- two years into the new DC's tenure-- was a marked improvement. It wasn't great, but it was good and at times great, as opposed to just plain shitty. And it's getting better. Joining the SEC will make recruiting big bodies in the backfield easier too. Honestly, since the SEC allows DBs to actually touch WRs and not get flagged, I'd expect improvement just on the basis of that alone.

I always brushed off the “WF getting left out” talk. It won’t happen this time but in 30 years I highly doubt we will still be in the same conference as UNC, State, FSU, Clemson, UVA, and VT. Duke is up in the air. They’ll probably come back down to earth in bball and be worth even less than us. Frankly, I’d rather continue to root for a college football team than a pseudo-pro team so I’m coming to terms with it.

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

Georgetown and/or Villanova need to get in the D1 football game and join the ACC.

Texas will have the votes, despite A&M and Mizzou if there is a resolution of the problem presented by their TV network (a big reason A&M left). Texas will have to share. The SEC doesn't need Texas, even if they might like to have them, and I can't imagine Alabama or LSU agreeing to let Texas keep all that money. My sense is that discussions have been ongoing and if Texas notifies the Big 12 it's leaving, some accommodation with the SEC has already been reached.

Despite firm opposition from A&M and hesitation at least from Mizzou, Texas will be admitted to the SEC if some resolution of the problem presented by its TV network money can be reached. That was a big problem when Nebraska and A&M left the Big 12. My sense is that since the word of the possibility of them moving has leaked out, and neither Texas nor OU attended the Big 12 video conference this week to discuss the best way forward if the two schools left, they are determined to leave and get to the SEC if they can. I suspect discussions between UT/OU and the SEC have been going on. If Texas gives the Big 12 notice that it's leaving and applies to join the SEC, that would be a strong clue that the Texas TV network issue has been resolved and it becomes a done deal.

Back