• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Exactly! Amateur sports as we knew is dead and its all about who can pay now. I'm curious if/when schools will stop programs like tennis, rugby, softball and such to have more to put into Football. the unprofitable ones might have to go in the name of competition.

Shocked at naïveté of folks that schools are now not directly involved in paying players. Goes something like this as your SEC FB employee tells Local Jim bob buckoos to maybe not give their annual $100k to Tide/Tiger FB club and redirect $50k to a NIL for young stud and if you don’t think it won’t spark even more giving fervor when folks can see their $s go directly to getting top talent??? Need to stop calling them student athletes now.

Appalachian State. South Florida. Texas-San Antonio. UNLV. SMU. Memphis. UAB. Houston. North Dakota State. BYU. Coastal Carolina. Cincinnati. Boise State. Nevada. UCF. Navy. These are the schools the writers at The Athletic chose that eliminated Wake Forest.

This does show how lightly regarded the Wake athletic program is perceived. It also suggests there are some idiots writing for the Athletic.

How many bowl games in a row do we need before we're noticed enough to re-join our own conference ahead of the mangy lot above?

If those teams were magically all on our schedule this year, what is our record?

Appalachian State. South Florida. Texas-San Antonio. UNLV. SMU. Memphis. UAB. Houston. North Dakota State. BYU. Coastal Carolina. Cincinnati. Boise State. Nevada. UCF. Navy. These are the schools the writers at The Athletic chose that eliminated Wake Forest.

This does show how lightly regarded the Wake athletic program is perceived. It also suggests there are some idiots writing for the Athletic.

There are several schools on their list that would have trouble keeping up with Wake in a spending contest.

There are several schools on their list that would have trouble keeping up with Wake in a spending contest.

UAB disbanded their program 3 years again. ND State is FCS. I’m from SC and have never met a Coastal fan. I understand what WF does (or doesn’t) bring to the table but some of these schools are ridiculous.

Reminds me of super play action football on the SNES. The college division had the conferences with public schools just being the state name (or the city it was in) and off brand private school names (e.g.. the was a team named Fluke in the ACC). But there was no Wake - instead, there was a Grambling, LA.

Exactly! Amateur sports as we knew is dead and its all about who can pay now. I'm curious if/when schools will stop programs like tennis, rugby, softball and such to have more to put into Football. the unprofitable ones might have to go in the name of competition.

Well of course amateur (collegiate) sports is dead. But the money will come from the boosters. There's no reason for it to come direct from the schools themselves. Schools will set up the best possible NIL programs FOR the kids, but they won't be paying them from their own coffers. If that starts to happen, every game in every sport will just be cancelled. It will be over and I mean COMPLETELY over once that happens. Not one person will attend a game nor should they. It would blow it up and new NBA and NFL minor leagues would maybe have to be set up that are somehow affiliated with the colleges. But it may be likelier that the two major "college" sports - certainly football - will no longer exist at all.

https://theathletic.com/news/unc-launches-first-group-licensing-program-under-new-nil-policy/gChv1KdJCmlI

Last edited:
Let's just get ahead of the curve on this. Convert an empty downtown factory into some swank apartments for athletes while they are in town for games. Put a helicopter pad on the roof to transport athletes in for games kind of like Nascar drivers. Decorate a 737 to look like the other Wake shuttles with a hangar at Smith Reynolds and the athletes can live at a top-notch training facility outside Charleston or somewhere cool. The "students" can take special classes remotely on their phones while sunning on the beach. See if Sutton would work with the business school to set up a new marketing agency to find "student" athletes endorsement deals. We could staff many of the positions with MBA students as internships.

Let's just get ahead of the curve on this. Convert an empty downtown factory into some swank apartments for athletes while they are in town for games. Put a helicopter pad on the roof to transport athletes in for games kind of like Nascar drivers. Decorate a 737 to look like the other Wake shuttles with a hangar at Smith Reynolds and the athletes can live at a top-notch training facility outside Charleston or somewhere cool. The "students" can take special classes remotely on their phones while sunning on the beach. See if Sutton would work with the business school to set up a new marketing agency to find "student" athletes endorsement deals. We could staff many of the positions with MBA students as internships.

UNCheat already setup the academics model - just offer the 'special classes' major to other students, that want to pay $65k per year for a worthless degree and it's all good.

If this plan doesn't include a monorail, then count me out!

Well of course amateur (collegiate) sports is dead. But the money will come from the boosters. There's no reason for it to come direct from the schools themselves. Schools will set up the best possible NIL programs FOR the kids, but they won't be paying them from their own coffers. If that starts to happen, every game in every sport will just be cancelled. It will be over and I mean COMPLETELY over once that happens. Not one person will attend a game nor should they. It would blow it up and new NBA and NFL minor leagues would maybe have to be set up that are somehow affiliated with the colleges. But it may be likelier that the two major "college" sports - certainly football - will no longer exist at all.

https://theathletic.com/news/unc-launches-first-group-licensing-program-under-new-nil-policy/gChv1KdJCmlI

No disrespect to this perspective, but honestly find it a bit naive if you don’t think schools will not be directing large donors and by default indirectly paying kids as they will adjust their budget inflows and outflows with this new game and give more flexibility to big donors to reallocate giving from school to players. I could see schools managing 2 budgets/ books with one for the team as they have today and a shadow or off B/s budget/books for donor giving and NILs and will just be a shell game between the 2 as schools will be planning from a consolidated basis and adjust either side as needed.

Yep, idiots! :dumb:

3 ACC football schools with bowl game streaks of 5+ years:

clem's son, miami and....

WAKE FOREST!

The Athletic can suck it.

Nobody gives a fuck that we won six or seven games and played in the Military Bowl, Belk Bowl, Birmingham Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and Mayo Bowl. Today's truth is that if you don't make a bowl, you really sucked that year, but it's just one year. I guess there's something to be said for the consistency of finishing in the middle of the pack in the ACC and wrapping up your season before NYE.

Nobody gives a fuck that we won six or seven games and played in the Military Bowl, Belk Bowl, Birmingham Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl, and Mayo Bowl. Today's truth is that if you don't make a bowl, you really sucked that year, but it's just one year. I guess there's something to be said for the consistency of finishing in the middle of the pack in the ACC and wrapping up your season before NYE.

Yep. I'll take the high draft picks that come with a bad season and not making a bowl in exchange for a boom season in a couple years with those top picks.

I guess there's something to be said for the consistency of finishing in the middle of the pack in the ACC and wrapping up your season before NYE.

Or for the consistency of the Dawgs being ranked higher preseason than postseason. Impressive streak -- and starting again this year in the top 4, no?

Back