• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score

Last edited:
Cincinnati, Memphis, and Colorado State make the most sense to me.

I hate the idea of UConn or one of those traditionless Florida schools going to that conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"What could emerge is a bidding war to see who will take less. Any new members would be phased in to the Big 12, taking something less than a full revenue share for a period of years.
The existing members would pocket the rest until those schools get full shares.

"Let's just say it's a sellers market," Bowlsby said. "There aren't very many of us [Power Five conferences]."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ve-well-and-likely-after-being-presumed-dead/

"What could emerge is a bidding war to see who will take less. Any new members would be phased in to the Big 12, taking something less than a full revenue share for a period of years.
The existing members would pocket the rest until those schools get full shares.

"Let's just say it's a sellers market," Bowlsby said. "There aren't very many of us [Power Five conferences]."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ve-well-and-likely-after-being-presumed-dead/

If that is the way they do it, then they are looking to add the weakest possible choice rather than the strongest, which means that the Big 12 is really just doing it for the extra cash until their GOR runs out and they can all split to difference conferences.

Texas and Oklahoma can't be pleased. Inviting Colorado State? Memphis? Tulane? Those options are all very lame. Inviting L'ville was a tough pill to swallow for ACC teams, and they have an elite program in almost every sport and a large and loyal fan-base.

If football drives the train, I guess BYU or Boise have the most cache. Even with its success Boise State is still in Idaho (the Idaho media market.... Woo Hoo!) with very little buzz. Would think West Virginia must be pushing for at least one entrant closer to home. Cincy or UCONN would at least create a travel partner for WV. Hard to see how an expansion of the Big 12 by adding any of those two accomplishes anything other than further relegating the Big 12 to the bottom of the Power 5 conferences. Also, the unequal sharing of revenues will cause long term rifts that will fester. There is a reason that all of the other Power V conference equally share conference generated revenue.

Cincy, Houston, USF, and UCF make the most sense from that list in that order. Expanding to 12 isn't going to add significant markets most likely. Go for 14 and take a risk on getting the I-4 corridor to slice into SEC territory. The Big XII can't just recruit an existing strong athletic program. They have to go for the programs and markets with the most potential.

Cincy, Houston, USF, and UCF make the most sense from that list in that order. Expanding to 12 isn't going to add significant markets most likely. Go for 14 and take a risk on getting the I-4 corridor to slice into SEC territory. The Big XII can't just recruit an existing strong athletic program. They have to go for the programs and markets with the most potential.

Seems like Houston might make the most sense. Houston goes back to the old Southwest conference days, probably has the best football of those and the hoops program has some tradition.

I'm surprised it took this long. I figured the Baylor/TCU thing would have set it in motion immediately.

So long as UConn gets left out in the cold holding their dick I don't care.

Talk about the dregs of D-1 sports programs.

Seriously. Maybe the Texas teams would be of intrigue to those in the Lonestar state - though it's not like they're adding a new tv market - otherwise, woof

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby added that football-only members are possible but not likely.

"In fact, a strong case could be made from reading between the lines of comments made by Big 12 administrators that this shapes up as a short-term money grab by existing members to brace themselves for the possibility that the league may not outlive its TV deals with ESPN and Fox that expire after the 2024-25 school year."

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/article90864777.html#storylink=cpy

Can't wait for the excitement of Texas Tech and UCF in basketball.

Kind of like Boston College vs Florida State?

On another note, Houston has also been talking to the Pac-12 supposedly [but of course not about expansion]

Back