• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

True. FWIW, the Stanford football program has completely collapsed. They are 11-19 over the past 3 seasons, and prospects are grim for the upcoming season.

Which is kind of the point. Stanford banked a lot of reputation from the Willingham and Harbaugh years and Shaw’s early success. They’re considered a good program and Shaw isn’t really on the hot seat.

We saw that at Wake. Grobe had a great rep nationally until he was let go.

Which is kind of the point. Stanford banked a lot of reputation from the Willingham and Harbaugh years and Shaw’s early success. They’re considered a good program and Shaw isn’t really on the hot seat.

We saw that at Wake. Grobe had a great rep nationally until he was let go.

BUT it’s notable that Stanford is still being left out in all conference realignment talk.

I don't think Stanford will get left out. They have more money than God (a lot of it from China) and probably the premier athletic dept in the country. I expect they'll end up in the B10 with ND.

I don't think Stanford will get left out. They have more money than God (a lot of it from China) and probably the premier athletic dept in the country. I expect they'll end up in the B10 with ND.

Agree with this - other than ND, they are the most attractive non-public school nationally (I’m not counting the U as a “private school”). They won’t be left out in the end- Silicon Valley is so freaking powerful - especially with Amazon/Apple getting into the College football game at some point. Agreed that they have definitely declined since CMC was there which is interesting because it’s not like the Pac12 has been gang busters since then either- very odd. I highly doubt David Shaw is on the hot seat - he took them 4 top 10 finishes include one year @ #3 in 2015. I think he has a job there as long as he wants it. I for one would like him to stay employed because that would be an attractive job for DC to go to.

National columnists, and even Bay Area columnists, disagree. They have both Cal and Stanford out.

I just don't see it. They're just too influential in too many spheres not to get a seat at the table if they want one. Cal, maybe. If we have to have a bicoastal conference I'd love it if the ACC could pick up Cal. Would be a great fit.

Tell me again why Swofford didn't lock in ND football for the long term during the ACC Covid schedule year?? :dumb:

The sad fact right now is this. If Wake Forest were to beat Clemson all hell breaks loose on how bad the ACC is. They did it to the ACC last year in both the major sports. It won't be Wake is good ever. We have the worst PR times ten of all conferences.

Nothing to do with PR at all when it comes to football. Just look at our results over the last 5 years. It is Clemson & Clemson only that has had results on the national stage and the only one to stay ranked in Top 15.
2020 the ACC was 0-6 in bowl games. 2021 we were 2-4.
Last season UNC starts season inside Top 10 and folds (luckily). Miami always folds.Plain & simple the ACC ranks about 5th of the Power 5 in overall power indexes.

Congrats again to South Carolina on all their success. They really earned all those Bama, LSU and Georgia titles.

South Carolina is a sleeping giant. Will pull ahead of Tennessee and Florida and Kentucky sooner, rather than later. Already ahead of Vandy.

I think Beamer is going to do well there and Billy Napier isn't going to stand in his way.

I think Beamer is going to do well there and Billy Napier isn't going to stand in his way.

I don't think Beamer stays though. One of the big boys will come calling if he has any real success.

South Carolina is a sleeping giant. Will pull ahead of Tennessee and Florida and Kentucky sooner, rather than later. Already ahead of Vandy.

Does that make them a giant? Tennessee and Florida just can’t stop stomping on their own dicks.

The SEC East is one of the weakest divisions in college football year in and year out. Yet SC still sucks almost yearly.

Yeah the SEC east is so weak that the current national champion happens to be a member. Some of you guys hate the SEC so bad it makes you illogical.

Yeah the SEC east is so weak that the current national champion happens to be a member. Some of you guys hate the SEC so bad it makes you illogical.

That’s one team.

What’s going to be hilarious is when the Fox Big 10 deal looks so awful after a year that the SEC doesn’t even get one.

It’s sad to see folks from SC and other Cocks fans rush to defend big brother Georgia like this. Makes you wonder if the powers that be at lesser SEC schools even want to beat Alabama and Georgia. The $$$$ depend on not winning.

Back