• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I like the idea that there are diminishing returns on dollars spent on football after a certain amount. Maybe going from $49M to $50M matters much more than getting from $99M to $100M.

If I'm the President of Alabama, I tell Saban you got beat by Clemson and we spent 70 million more on Athletics. I'm going to take the extra TV revenue and build a new Biology building with it. I think I'd be fired in two weeks or less.

If I'm the President of Alabama, I tell Saban you got beat by Clemson and we spent 70 million more on Athletics. I'm going to take the extra TV revenue and build a new Biology building with it. I think I'd be fired in two weeks or less.

If losing to Clemson gets your budget cut, that’s bad news for Clawson.

What point are you trying to make about expansion exactly ?

I just don't see it. They're just too influential in too many spheres not to get a seat at the table if they want one. Cal, maybe. If we have to have a bicoastal conference I'd love it if the ACC could pick up Cal. Would be a great fit.

I don't know. This is all about brands. Very few people in NC or VA are interested in Stanford vs. Rutgers. They'll watch another game on another channel. USC and UCLA? Sort of a different story.

South Carolina is a sleeping giant. Will pull ahead of Tennessee and Florida and Kentucky sooner, rather than later. Already ahead of Vandy.

I'm a Vandy grad (also Wake law). All my life everybody has always been way ahead of Vandy.

i am sure the Big10 is thrilled they added Rutgers now.

Damn right they are. Even though nobody was watching their games, Rutgers gave them the NY metro area mandatory cable TV fees that accelerated the overall conference revenue to put them in the position to be one of the last two standing. All while giving them an easy win every year on the schedule to artificially inflate everyone else's record. It honestly could not have worked out better for the Big Televenteen. Rutgers has been their whore to take money from and beat up on for the last 10 years. Esteemed alum Tony Soprano would be proud.

What point are you trying to make about expansion exactly ?
My point is if the ACC sticks together, realizes they have enough to compete at the highest level of college football, understands the coming population demographics, knows the Amazon's and Apples are coming we will be fine. I believe ESPN is in trouble. North Carolina and Georgia will pass Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan in population. Take the long view.

My point is if the ACC sticks together, realizes they have enough to compete at the highest level of college football, understands the coming population demographics, knows the Amazon's and Apples are coming we will be fine. I believe ESPN is in trouble. North Carolina and Georgia will pass Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan in population. Take the long view.

North Carolina passing Ohio and Michigan in population does not mean UNC will pass OSU or UM in student body size though. North Carolina being a big market does not mean that UNC will bring the eyeballs that those schools bring.

Does anyone know of actual happenings? WVa being added to the ACC? ND as a full member? Other BIG XII or PAC 12 scraps being added? Implosion?

This is interesting to me. Time slots become less important. They could show every game at prime time slots and let viewers decide which matchup they wanted to watch. Promote all the games, not just the 8pm ABC game.

This is interesting to me. Time slots become less important. They could show every game at prime time slots and let viewers decide which matchup they wanted to watch. Promote all the games, not just the 8pm ABC game.

No. Time slots will always be important. Creating an ACC brand means having games at every time slot so ACC fans can watch games throughout the day. One of the worst things about the ESPN/Bally's deal is that we'll have ACC games packed into the early slots and no marquee late game.

It's a fascinating decision for UNC, which I think probably has as much if not more appreciation for the ACC than any other member and all things being equal I'm sure has absolutely no desire to blow it up, but also wants to compete at the highest level and probably has the luxury of being able to choose where it plays.

So does it stick with the ACC, which probably allows the conference to maintain its existence in some form, out of appreciation for the history, geographic rivalries, and UNC's place as sort of the top dog in the conference, even if it means it's playing in a 2nd Tier league?

Or does it jump to the Big 10 or SEC, where it will be in the 1st Tier, but it destroys the historical ACC, loses it natural rivals and plays a bunch of games against Minnesota or Ole Miss, and is no longer top dog in the conference?

I mean, obviously I hope they stick with the ACC (even though, to be clear, I hate UNC sports with the passion of a thousand burning suns), but I also get why they might decide to "save themselves" by jumping. That's a really tough call, and there are a whole lot of UNC fans out there who care about their sports other than football.

Back