• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Pretty sure it would be top ACC vs top PAC during championship week and also 2nd ACC vs 2nd PAC with no ACCCG or PAC12CG

Not sure it's a great idea but it definitely wouldn't ACCCG then another game then a bowl

Not sure this has been discussed lately, but I can see networks preferring to add some additional playoff/interleague championship game at the expense of the bowls. With more and more top players opting to skip bowl games, the bowls have to be losing television appeal. Take last year, for example, would a Pitt vs. Utah game in which Kenny Picket plays (as an aside, I still can't believe the Steelers wasted their first round pick) be a better TV game than a Picketless Peach Bowl and Rose Bowl (especially if that Rose Bowl didn't include Ohio State because the Big 10 only plays SEC teams in a new format)?

Not sure this has been discussed lately, but I can see networks preferring to add some additional playoff/interleague championship game at the expense of the bowls. With more and more top players opting to skip bowl games, the bowls have to be losing television appeal. Take last year, for example, would a Pitt vs. Utah game in which Kenny Picket plays (as an aside, I still can't believe the Steelers wasted their first round pick) be a better TV game than a Picketless Peach Bowl and Rose Bowl (especially if that Rose Bowl didn't include Ohio State because the Big 10 only plays SEC teams in a new format)?

I’m not sure you wouldn’t see the same thing happen. Pitt had no way of sneaking into the playoff last year so why wouldn’t Pickett have sat out this game too that wasn’t for a conference championship?

Desirability Ratings: Measuring Each Power 5 School’s Conference Value

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc

Wake Forest (#47 of 69) does about as well here as you could realistically hope (mostly due to academic ranking and recent football success).

I mean, you can argue about the metrics used and how they should be weighted, but it's an interesting exercise.

Northwestern at #29 and tied for second in academics? Sorry, no.

What does disappear mean?

Seems like the worst-case scenarios are one of these three:

1) ESPN goes lean and cuts out original programming and goes back to airing a bunch of replays of games and Sportscenter across the channels
2) Disney sells off ESPN to a tech company for many many billions to offset losses elsewhere
3) ESPN moves a ton of content to ESPN+ and forces us to pay $10-20 a month

I'm not sure how either impacts the current deals.

ESPN+ going to 9.99 a month from 6.99 starting in late August.

Bundle price remains unchanged so you could get Hulu and Disney plus added to that for four bucks a month

If you don't want to read a weirdly partisan Fox News article, here's an SI article that focuses on the sports.
https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/...blasts-lack-of-transparency-ucla-move-big-ten

Newsom said the biggest issue he had with UCLA’s news is the regents were never consulted about the potential move. He claims he learned about the move from the newspaper, just as many fans did that day.

“Is it a good idea? Did we discuss the merits or demerits? I’m not aware that anyone did,” Newsom said. “So it was done in isolation. It was done without any regental oversight or support. … I have strong opinions about this, for no other reason than as a member of the regents, we were never consulted, never asked for an opinion and they didn’t even have the decency to provide [a] heads-up.”

I wonder if UCLA considered this kind of blowback when they made the move. Do you really want the governor of your state ( and potentially the state legislature) unhappy with you when you are dependent on them for a big chunk of your budget?

Not sure how much state dollars go directly to athletics, but I’m sure the math is in favor of taking fox’s cash.

Not sure how much state dollars go directly to athletics, but I’m sure the math is in favor of taking fox’s cash.

For UCLA, I would hope so. Could very much hurt Cal, however.

Of course, it is likely that USC leaving was going to cripple the PAC and therefore Cal, whether the travel partner was UCLA or someone else.

University senior administrators who approved the conference switch without notifying the governor might need to worry about the non-athletic portion of their budget. Also, will student activity fees still be an income source for athletics?

Surely the prestige of the almighty Big Ten makes up for that. They’ll announce some research partnerships with the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago.

Yeah, how’s that research partnership between Wake and Va Tech going, btw ?

Yeah, how’s that research partnership between Wake and Va Tech going, btw ?

Honestly, I do know that there has been a concussion study going on with youth hockey that is part of that partnership. Past that, though, I couldn't tell you.

Notre Dame seeking to negotiate a $75 million annual rights fee from NBC to stay independent:https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-targeting-75-million-annual-media-rights-payout-in-quest-to-remain-independent/#:~:text=Bowl%20Schedule-,Notre%20Dame%20targeting%20%2475%20million%20annual%20media,in%20quest%20to%20remain%20independent&text=Notre%20Dame%20would%20remain%20independent,NBC%2C%20sources%20told%20CBS%20Sports.

Sounds like ND and NBC are currently in an exclusive negotiating window. NBC is listening, but they are considering working with the Big 12 to increase football inventory.

Why not both? Surely NBC has room in the schedule to add a Big XII package to their 7 ND games.

I could see NBC adding an 8:00 game and a 3:00 game on weeks ND isn’t playing at home or is in the 8:00 slot.

Last edited:
Back