• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Let’s all not forget this is all Texas’ fault. They got that stupid Longhorn Network which pissed off Nebraska so much they left the Big XII. Everything fell apart after that. Now the default Rose Bowl will be played before Halloween. Fucking Texas.

Nebraska announced they were leaving the Big 12 before the Longhorn Network was even announced.

Nebraska announced they were leaving the Big 12 before the Longhorn Network was even announced.

Colorado, too. The Big 12 was already falling apart when the Longhorn Network was announced.

Sounds like the Big 10 is kicking ESPN to the curb. Guess there goes the ACC Big 10 Challenge

23e7bfab2c6677418b1f9bd94acdc593.jpg

As I said before, unless ESPN wants to lose content to Fox or NBC, ESPN needs to pay more to the ACC and be proactive about it.

Last edited:
I wish the ACC had gotten a package like that instead of committing to being the SEC’s little brother on ESPN.

I wish the ACC had gotten a package like that instead of committing to being the SEC’s little brother on ESPN.

Unfortunately stuff like that did not exist when the ACC negotiated the current deal. The worst part of the deal was not including periodic review and renegotiation windows.

FOX, CBS, and NBC did exist. What I wanted back then was a deal with ESPN and NBC similar to what the SEC has with ESPN and NBC. 3:30 NBC games on weeks ND was on the road, an 8:00 NBC game of the week, and one or two games on NBCSN instead of RSN with the rest on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU.

Maybe the ACC can get comparable money for ACC programming from Bally Sports???

If I remember correctly, ESPN sells off ACC game inventory to Bally Sports. So it's a side deal that allows ESPN to make back some of their investment while screwing over cord cutting fans.

If I remember correctly, ESPN sells off ACC game inventory to Bally Sports. So it's a side deal that allows ESPN to make back some of their investment while screwing over cord cutting fans.

I think the Bally deal was locked in pre-ESPN with Raycom and opens back up in 2028. Those may already be promised to ESPN though.

ESPN has pulled out of negotiations with the Big 10 per SBJ

LOL. I saw an article claiming that ESPN was going to get back in because Disney CEO Bob Chapek is an MSU grad.

It's quite possible that ESPN could leave conference realignment paying considerably more for less P5 inventory.

LOL. I saw an article claiming that ESPN was going to get back in because Disney CEO Bob Chapek is an MSU grad.

It's quite possible that ESPN could leave conference realignment paying considerably more for less P5 inventory.

Which is why they would have a vested interest in keeping the cheap ACC inventory at least not extremely unhappy and together.

I wonder what ESPN's play is here. The $110 Billion NFL contract runs through 2033, so it's not like they're saving money to go after that.

Notre Dame is seeking $75 million per year from NBC when they could get $100 million if they joined the Big Ten. They're currently getting $22 million. Maybe they could wade into those discussions.

There's no way they're going to just give the ACC an extra $100 million per year just hoping they'll be more competitive and their markets will grow.

Yeah. Any suggestion that ESPN will just give the ACC more money is fanciful at best. The best thing I could maybe see ESPN doing for the ACC is making a hard play to get ND to join the ACC for fear that they'll leave for the Big Ten. That would be part of a set up in which ACC programs get different contracts through some "merit based" system or whatever.

And that's a best case scenario with little chance of happening.

ESPN seems to have screwed themselves over. In a landscape where SEC is #1 and the Big Ten is #2, ESPN should be trying to position the ACC to be #3 while marketing the league as #2. But that's not likely.

Back