• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If I am reading the reporting correctly, then the B1G game selection will be:

#1 Fox at noon
#2 NBC 7:00 pm
#3 CBS 3:30

just picking a week at random, 10/8 weekend the B1G games are:

Nebraska-Rutgers
OSU-Michigan St
Wisconsin-NW
Iowa-Illinois
Purdue-Maryland
Michigan-Indiana

So OSU - Michigan State would air at noon on Fox, NBC will show whatever game USC plays, and CBS picks up a table scrap of...Wisconsin-NW? Michigan-Indiana? Yeesh.

It is hard to see how they are going to have 3 top-tier matchups to offer their 3 main network partners each week (even when USC and UCLA come on board), but having access to Ohio State/Penn State/Michigan/USC (and smaller but still solid brands like Wisconsin/Michigan State/Nebraska/etc.) on a weekly basis I guess was good enough for them (not to mention each of the networks is going to have a shot to show the Big Ten Championship game in at least one of those years over the life of the contract). That's a lot of die-hard football alums at those schools (even if they have produced some mediocre football outside of Ohio State over the past decade).

This deal also seems to imply that more Big Ten schools will end up on Notre Dame's future schedules (assuming the Irish re-up with NBC), so you could see a Notre Dame at Michigan or a Notre Dame at Southern Cal game end up in primetime on NBC as well, where as those games currently would air on ABC/ESPN.

Also, I'm not sure if CBS will always have the 3rd best Big Ten game each weekend, but to go from paying $55 million a year for the SEC's best game each week to nearly $400 million a year for the Big Ten's 2nd or 3rd best game each week is quite the increase in rights fees (though it was widely regarded that the SEC/CBS deal was the best TV bargain in sports).

With the ND night games, NBC won't have a Big Ten conference game every week. So some weeks, only the top two games will be on the networks and CBS will get the #2 game.

If I am reading the reporting correctly, then the B1G game selection will be:

#1 Fox at noon
#2 NBC 7:00 pm
#3 CBS 3:30

just picking a week at random, 10/8 weekend the B1G games are:

Nebraska-Rutgers
OSU-Michigan St
Wisconsin-NW
Iowa-Illinois
Purdue-Maryland
Michigan-Indiana

So OSU - Michigan State would air at noon on Fox, NBC will show whatever game USC plays, and CBS picks up a table scrap of...Wisconsin-NW? Michigan-Indiana? Yeesh.

I believe CBS and NBC alternate who picks 2nd and 3rd while Fox always gets 1st pick. Still you’re right, in some weeks the 3rd game is not going to be very attractive.

With the ND night games, NBC won't have a Big Ten conference game every week. So some weeks, only the top two games will be on the networks and CBS will get the #2 game.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is the Big Ten's intention to just "step aside" a couple of weeks each season and let Notre Dame broadcast a home night game without one of their teams being involved. I guess we'll wait and see, but it could be the end of night games being broadcast from Notre Dame's stadium (unless it is a Big Ten opponent as the visiting team).

would be typical ACC if ND's other sports stay in the conference but the 5-game football deal switches to the Big 10

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is the Big Ten's intention to just "step aside" a couple of weeks each season and let Notre Dame broadcast a home night game without one of their teams being involved. I guess we'll wait and see, but it could be the end of night games being broadcast from Notre Dame's stadium (unless it is a Big Ten opponent as the visiting team).

We'll see what happens. NBC is slated to have 16 primetime Big Ten games in 2023 and 15 a year starting in 2024. Not exactly sure how that works out.

ND doesn't play that many games in Prime Time anyway - I believe they had three all of last year and one of those was a Sunday night before the NFL season started

ND had a terrible schedule last season.

Well, they did play a CFP semi-finalist in Cincy. UNC and Wisconsin were pre-season top 10 (all of those teams were counterfeit). Didn't help that their ACC opponents had disappointing years, and UVA lost their QB for ND game. VT had ND beat and then completely threw up on itself. Just a pathetic 4th quarter.

ND has 4 primetime games scheduled for this year (@tOSU, BYU in Vegas, Clemson and Stanford). Also, the gametime for the @ UNC and @ USC games are currently not set, but pretty good chance that both will be played in primetime.

Well, they did play a CFP semi-finalist in Cincy. UNC and Wisconsin were pre-season top 10 (all of those teams were counterfeit). Didn't help that their ACC opponents had disappointing years, and UVA lost their QB for ND game. VT had ND beat and then completely threw up on itself. Just a pathetic 4th quarter.

ND has 4 primetime games scheduled for this year (@tOSU, BYU in Vegas, Clemson and Stanford). Also, the gametime for the @ UNC and @ USC games are currently not set, but pretty good chance that both will be played in primetime.

The only ones on that list controlled by NBC are the BYU game (Shamrock Series neutral site), and the Clemson and Stanford home games. NBC has typically tried to get 2 home games and 1 neutral site game (controlled by Notre Dame) into prime time over the past 5-7 years, which are the games that would theoretically go away once the Big Ten's NBC primetime contract starts. I don't think Notre Dame particularly likes playing night games at home to begin with, so maybe they won't be too sad to see them go away from an in-person fan and team perspective (obviously, more eyeballs probably on their primetime games from a ratings standpoint).

218de7002d949da2ea42f85caecb95e4.jpg

Big 10 making moves to ensure the Pac-12's collapse. Trying to get Amazon to up the rights fee ante if the Big 10 adds Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford. In addition to the rights fee issue, for all other USC and UCLA sports to survive, they need other West Coast teams in the conference. UCLA soccer can't remain viable playing teams only in the Eastern and Central time zone.

If that happens, Arizona, AZ State, Utah and Colorado would likely head to the Big 12. Oregon State and Washington State would be left out (probably to the Mountain West; sucks for them; like the Beavers). Interesting angle is that ESPN and FOX oppose further expansion because of "cost certainty" concerns, which means that its in ESPN strong interest to keep the ACC as a viable college football alternative. Also, it would seem like such move means that the Big 10 has given up, at least in the short term, on adding Notre Dame.

Here's the article: Pac 12 Collapse Looms

God, I hate the Big 10. They play crappy football. Yet, because they have mindless fanbases that will watch tedious plodding 10-7 games, they have destroyed the Pac 12. For all of the money that Big 10 generates, they really have some awful football programs.

Last edited:
The PAC 12 is being destroyed because they have played awful football for a decade, which was the absolute worst time in college football history to do so, and their last commissioner was an idiot. The half of the conference that they're supposedly taking are being offered a lifeline that they must be positively thrilled about. Except for Stanford because it's going to be harder for all their dumb Olympic sports to win championships so they can boast about Director's Cup standings.

Has the Big Ten been that great? Rest of the conference really owes a lot to Ohio State, because otherwise I don't really see a significant difference between the two conferences in terms of on-field performance over the last decade+.

Pilch is closer to the reality, B1G fans will watch no matter what crap they're being served up (and they have a ton of fucking massive student-body state schools), whilst the West Coast has the least interest in football -- particularly non-NFL --- of any pocket of the country

Last edited:
No conference is great if people don't watch the games. People watch SEC and B1G games like their lives depend on it.

The looming 12-team playoff gives the SEC and Big Ten even more incentive to kill off other conferences to get more of those at-large spots. If the Pac-12 dies, I expect them to argue for only the top 5 conference champs and 7 at-large.

Back