• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

Texas and OU are headed to the SEC in a matter of weeks. The ACC got caught slipping.

Wake is going to be wherever the ACC is. I’m guessing the fear of a 32 team mega conference came from Clemson or FSU. Clemson has the most to lose from a 16 team SEC and 16 team Big Ten joining forces to shut everyone else out.

Last edited:
Yeah, the ACC isn't kicking Wake out to let Maryland back in. We're a better football school than they are anyway.

What’s the appeal of including Syracuse in that scenario? They aren’t an original ACC member, no real rivalries, travel there sucks, both flagship sports have been mediocre to terrible.

Yeah, the ACC isn't kicking Wake out to let Maryland back in. We're a better football school than they are anyway.

Keeping the existing schools in the ACC was part of the thinking behind the grant of rights documents signed a few years ago.

Kansas State and Iowa State are never going to get into the Big Ten - the Big Ten is much more likely to raid Virginia, UNC, Clemson, and Georgia Tech and deliver the killing blow to the ACC

two priorities for the ACC should be

1. Lock up those currently in the ACC
2. Lock up ND

Kansas State and Iowa State are never going to get into the Big Ten - the Big Ten is much more likely to raid Virginia, UNC, Clemson, and Georgia Tech and deliver the killing blow to the ACC

ACC isn't dying. There is going to be 4 super conferences so that pretty much assures we will be fine.

everyone always says that Wake is gonna be SOL. does anyone know the provisions for kicking out a member? just a vote and then buying us out? or, as a charter member, are they stuck with us as long as the ACC exists. I guess they can always start their own Ancient and Mystic Society of No Homers and continue on without us.

Not to be the Debby Downer, but in this game of musical chairs and super conferences, there is a large likelihood that when the music stops, Wake could be left without a seat. We do not have the fanbase, size, market or money to make us desirable. This could all mean bad news for Wake and its time in the ACC. Here is one example of how that could happen.

EdPEGTTWkAUBO0l-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGSnWoAAqEEw-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGS1XoAAszNF-1536x291.jpeg

EdPEGTIXgAAU4Px-1536x291.jpeg

*Switch Mizzou and Oklahoma St and the math is the same

The ACC wouldn't kick out Wake Forest for UCF. That is just never going to happen.

What’s the appeal of including Syracuse in that scenario? They aren’t an original ACC member, no real rivalries, travel there sucks, both flagship sports have been mediocre to terrible.

New York market.

ACC isn't dying. There is going to be 4 super conferences so that pretty much assures we will be fine.

Adding those four teams from the ACC makes much more sense than adding two teams that bring nothing to the table from the Big XII

everyone always says that Wake is gonna be SOL. does anyone know the provisions for kicking out a member? just a vote and then buying us out? or, as a charter member, are they stuck with us as long as the ACC exists. I guess they can always start their own Ancient and Mystic Society of No Homers and continue on without us.

we're not getting kicked out of the ACC, period end.

Clemson, FSU, UNC, GT, etc. could all decide to leave the ACC; however unlikely this is, this would be bad (I have to believe someone at Clemson has looked into the question of whether they should bolt for elsewhere to protect their brand)

2020 Athletic revenue by conference as reported here

School payouts
•Big Ten: $54.3 million
•SEC: $45.5 million
•Big 12: $37 to $40.5 million
•Pac-12: $33.6 million
•ACC: $30.9 to $37 million

If true, the ACC isn't poaching a Power V school except for maybe a Big 12 refugee after Texas and OU deliver a kill shot

This article and these numbers are possibly misleading. The entire article is focused on football, which admittedly is a big money maker. However, the NCAA makes almost all of its money from the basketball tournament and the ACC makes up a big chunk of that. The NCAA has basically already acknowledged that it is basically game over for it as an institution. That college basketball money is still going to be on the table in some form and the ACC is going to be a major player in that.

we're not getting kicked out of the ACC, period end.

Clemson, FSU, UNC, GT, etc. could all decide to leave the ACC; however unlikely this is, this would be bad (I have to believe someone at Clemson has looked into the question of whether they should bolt for elsewhere to protect their brand)

Being in the ACC is pretty great for Clemson. They have the easiest path to the Natty. All that matters for the brand are the rings.

Is bringing in Navy with Notre Dame still a thing? Feels like adding a service academy might not be a bad PR move for any conference. Although I could see the US government not letting Army get left behind.

West Virginia makes more sense athletically but not sure it brings in any real TV monies.

The ACC wouldn't kick out Wake Forest for UCF. That is just never going to happen.

This is just one example that I have seen. Put Baylor in the place of UCF instead. I don't imagine they will be on the outside looking in. Put Rutgers in instead of Maryland, however you want to slice it, there are bigger schools and other markets that could be enticing to the ACC.

I have no idea what the provisions are for the ACC to expand, kick someone out or whatever, but at the moment it seems like this thing is the wild west. I do not believe that Wake has the cache to big boy up at the table, and if this going sideways it could be bad for a small private school like Wake.

All of the ACC teams are already locked up through 2036. No one is leaving the ACC. WF is not getting kicked out of the ACC. Don't think a conference has expelled a member since the Big East kicked out Temple like 25 years ago. This such LOWF thinking that WF is going to get kicked out to add Baylor (you realize that Baylor is in Waco?) or UCF (the ACC already has penetrated the Florida market). Just amazes me how hard WF people try to create Armageddon scenrios for their own school.

The ACC's sole focus is getting ND to join the conference in football. Having ND in the ACC last season helped. As Clemson at ND was the marquee regular season game in college football in 2020, and playing in the ACC got ND in the playoff. Realize that there are issues that have to be worked out with ND's NBC contract and with ND non-ACC rivalries, but those are the same issues that Texas and OU are working through right now.

If/when ND joins the ACC for football, then the question becomes who is the 16th. Seems like it would come down to WV or Kansas. Realize Kansas football is absolute joke right now, but they have played in the New Year's 6 Bowl fairly recently, and if the rest of the Big 12 is forced to fend for themselves, Kansas should be able to take advantage. Realize Kansas basketball is sleazy, but they are a national brand, and adding them to the conference would be a big boost for the ACCN.

Last edited:
Back