• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

While it's certainly conceivable that a wake could be left out due to domino's falling the fact that we're locked in through 2036 And all of this will have worked its way out by then with the ACC being part of it pretty much locks us in to the super conferences.

Well time to place some futures on TCU or OSU winning the Big 12 this year. I'm sure Texas and OU will get a fair shake each game they play this season.

Texas A&M is the hot cheerleader whose confidence is momentarily shaken bc her even hotter boyfriend was a dick to her. The nerds have about a 3 week window to ask her out when her defenses are down before she realizes wait a minute, I’m a hot cheerleader and I’m going to be just fine.

They need to get this shit straight so I don't have to customize my conferences in EA Sports NCAA Football 23.

I'm not a doomsday person, but it's worth asking the question just how ironclad the ACC's agreement through 2036 is, since apparently the SEC's riches will make it easy for UT and OU to write FU checks to the BXII for $76 million apiece

(there's another comment here regarding the long-term health of student-athletes playing football for zero cash compensation while schools can write $152 million in checks just to leave a conference, but I'll save that one)

All of the ACC teams are already locked up through 2036. No one is leaving the ACC. WF is not getting kicked out of the ACC. Don't think a conference has expelled a member since the Big East kicked out Temple like 25 years ago. This such LOWF thinking that WF is going to get kicked out to add Baylor (you realize that Baylor is in Waco?) or UCF (the ACC already has penetrated the Florida market). Just amazes me how hard WF people try to create Armageddon scenrios for their own school.

The ACC's sole focus is getting ND to join the conference in football. Having ND in the ACC last season helped. As Clemson at ND was the marquee regular season game in college football in 2020, and playing in the ACC got ND in the playoff. Realize that there are issues that have to be worked out with ND's NBC contract and with ND non-ACC rivalries, but those are the same issues that Texas and OU are working through right now.

If/when ND joins the ACC for football, then the question becomes who is the 16th. Seems like it would come down to WV or Kansas. Realize Kansas football is absolute joke right now, but they have played in the New Year's 6 Bowl fairly recently, and if the rest of the Big 12 is forced to fend for themselves, Kansas should be able to take advantage. Realize Kansas basketball is sleazy, but they are a national brand, and adding them to the conference would be a big boost for the ACCN.

Yes, Waco as in Texas, which means the ACC network would have a greater footprint in Texas cable packages. Also Baylor just won an NCAA championship in one of the two money sports that matter. So as you said, new markets and championships.

Yes, this is absolutely an Armageddon scenario, and an unlikely one. But who knows what the future will hold if it becomes 4 16 team leagues.

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

ACC adds ND and WV
SEC adds UT, OSU and OU (loses Mizzoou)
Big 16 adds Mizzou and Kansas
PAC 16 adds TTU, TCU, Baylor and Houston

I feel like this makes the most sense, especially with 4-team pods. Sorry Iowa State and Kansas State.

Any chance of Notre Dame joining the ACC as a full and equal member died when the CFP expanded to 12 teams. It was a shot the league had to take when it had it, but that's over. Move on. Boot them now.

Of the teams in play, the only ones that make any sense (and neither objectively do) are KU and WVU.

What’s the appeal of including Syracuse in that scenario? They aren’t an original ACC member, no real rivalries, travel there sucks, both flagship sports have been mediocre to terrible.

Lacrosse.

In all of conference realignment, had a school ever been involuntary removed from a conference? Ever?

Just realized that Tennessee, who already has issues w/ being the lesser "UT", will now have to deal with being the lesser "UT" in their own conference.

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

Texas A&M is the hot cheerleader whose confidence is momentarily shaken bc her even hotter boyfriend was a dick to her. The nerds have about a 3 week window to ask her out when her defenses are down before she realizes wait a minute, I’m a hot cheerleader and I’m going to be just fine.

Pretty much.

“Hey A&M, you know what would really piss off the SEC? If you come join the ACC.”

*crying A&M wipes smudged mascara*

“Really?”

Any chance of Notre Dame joining the ACC as a full and equal member died when the CFP expanded to 12 teams. It was a shot the league had to take when it had it, but that's over. Move on. Boot them now.

Of the teams in play, the only ones that make any sense (and neither objectively do) are KU and WVU.

Good point. ND doesn’t need us in an expanded playoff scenario and no one else beside the ACC benefits from putting ND in a conference.

$76M just isn’t a lot of money to fine corporate interests in this era of extreme inequality. That’s like Austin Powers saying “One Million Dollars.” Texas has 64 billionaires with a combined net worth of $460.1 billion. A few of them could come up with $76M in no time.

Last edited:
Yes, Waco as in Texas, which means the ACC network would have a greater footprint in Texas cable packages. Also Baylor just won an NCAA championship in one of the two money sports that matter. So as you said, new markets and championships.

Yes, this is absolutely an Armageddon scenario, and an unlikely one. But who knows what the future will hold if it becomes 4 16 team leagues.

Ah yes, all 100K Baylor alumni in Texas are going to suddenly get the ACC Network added to every cable package in a state of 29M

9a49f1f1190fe60bb65c8f45205b40ed.jpg

Texas and OU are going to be eligible for the Duke’s Mayo Bowl.

Back