• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

ND is not coming fully on board if they have to share the revenue from their TV deal with NBC. WVa won't come because we publicly embarrassed them when we took Louisville over them, with them literally begging to be let in. They may not have a lot of class but they have a lot of pride.

It could be a negotiating ploy but there is no way Texas would fail to get 11 votes. Way too much money to be made if their interest is legitimate.

They won't get 11 unless there is an accommodation with their TV revenue. If that happens, they're a shoo-in, A&M and Mizzou notwithstanding. I can't see Alabama, LSU, Georgia or Florida voting to let them in and at the same time keep all that TV network revenue.

So if the ACC and PAC-12 form a mega conference, can they renegotiate that awful ESPN deal?

ND is not coming fully on board if they have to share the revenue from their TV deal with NBC. WVa won't come because we publicly embarrassed them when we took Louisville over them, with them literally begging to be let in. They may not have a lot of class but they have a lot of pride.

West Virginia would join tomorrow if the ACC invited them.

No chance WVU would turn down an invite and risk getting left behind

See? We made it. Nothing to worry about.

West Virginia would join tomorrow if the ACC invited them.

Absolutely. WVU would be a great addition to the conference, academics not withstanding. But how much does that really mean anymore? The couch burners already have rivalries with Pitt and VT. Would be fun to tailgate with their fans. I met a bunch of them at the baseball regional we hosted a few years ago. They were fun people.

Absolutely. WVU would be a great addition to the conference, academics not withstanding. But how much does that really mean anymore? The couch burners already have rivalries with Pitt and VT. Would be fun to tailgate with their fans. I met a bunch of them at the baseball regional we hosted a few years ago. They were fun people.

The thing that will drive additional teams is their ability to increase the $$$ coming into the conference. If a team will add more than the current average per team payout, they get considered. If not, nope.

WVU always felt weird in the Big XII. I mean, good sports programs and good fan support, but they are an east coast program. ACC is a much more logical fit. Big 10 would be next most logical, but don't see that happening.

Despite firm opposition from A&M and hesitation at least from Mizzou, Texas will be admitted to the SEC if some resolution of the problem presented by its TV network money can be reached. That was a big problem when Nebraska and A&M left the Big 12. My sense is that since the word of the possibility of them moving has leaked out, and neither Texas nor OU attended the Big 12 video conference this week to discuss the best way forward if the two schools left, they are determined to leave and get to the SEC if they can. I suspect discussions between UT/OU and the SEC have been going on. If Texas gives the Big 12 notice that it's leaving and applies to join the SEC, that would be a strong clue that the Texas TV network issue has been resolved and it becomes a done deal.

It's been a done deal for a while is my understanding. All college Presidents were in on it. Once the info trickled down to the ADs, that's when aTm had a cow. It was supposed to be announced out of the blue on Monday.

As much as I hate Texas, I may have grown to hate the Aggies worse since they left the Big XII. Just completely inflated senses of self-worth simply because they went to the SEC and became also-rans in that conference, just like they were in the Big XII. They about jizzed their pants this last year because they played two good teams and only lost to one of them. Would have loved to have steamrolled those fuckers in the Sugar Bowl instead of Florida without its offense.

In other words, A&M became an SEC team.

In other words, A&M became an SEC team.

Partly. The SEC also-ran teams are the ones who like to do the dumb SEC chants for the most part, and the Aggies fit right in in that regard. But more to the point, they pulled a Texas, basically, and stuck their nose up at everybody. This was their one-up on Texas, it was them getting out from under the UT thumb and browbeating in the BXII. Now with Texas going to the SEC, that one-up is gone, nevermind that UT won't have the kind of pull in the SEC that drove teams out of the BXII and SWC in the first place. They want to hold onto that forever, which is why they're Aggies. It's also a Texas thing. Everybody has to hold onto the Biggest Dick title for as long as they can.

Shit like this reminds me of the giraffe statue at the Dallas zoo. Originally designed, it was to be the tallest statue in Texas. Then the statue that went up of Sam Houston turned out to be taller by like an inch so they redesigned the giraffe statue to be a couple inches taller. Only in Texas.

Partly. The SEC also-ran teams are the ones who like to do the dumb SEC chants for the most part, and the Aggies fit right in in that regard. But more to the point, they pulled a Texas, basically, and stuck their nose up at everybody. This was their one-up on Texas, it was them getting out from under the UT thumb and browbeating in the BXII. Now with Texas going to the SEC, that one-up is gone, nevermind that UT won't have the kind of pull in the SEC that drove teams out of the BXII and SWC in the first place. They want to hold onto that forever, which is why they're Aggies. It's also a Texas thing. Everybody has to hold onto the Biggest Dick title for as long as they can.

Shit like this reminds me of the giraffe statue at the Dallas zoo. Originally designed, it was to be the tallest statue in Texas. Then the statue that went up of Sam Houston turned out to be taller by like an inch so they redesigned the giraffe statue to be a couple inches taller. Only in Texas.

Same reason the Empire State building has a "mooring mast" for dirigibles.

West Virginia far outshines Louisville on academics. Louisville is a bottom feeder.

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

West Virginia far outshines Louisville on academics. Louisville is a bottom feeder.

Louisville is #174 in US News. West Virginia is #241. To the extent those matter of course.

The Athletic article on new ACC commish Jim Phillips and his different approach to football. Lots of quotes from Clawson.

New ACC commissioner Jim Phillips is keeping the football lines of communication open and gaining support as he goes https://theathletic.com/2724874/202...nication-open-and-gaining-support-as-he-goes/

——-

“More than anything, as football coaches we felt we had very little voice,” Clawson told The Athletic. “We’d have these annual meetings and we’d have suggestions and, quite honestly, really nothing would happen. … And the one thing I really appreciate about Commissioner Phillips is he’s been very open, he’s been very engaging. We complained that we felt we didn’t have a voice, and he said, ‘Well, I want to give you access.’ I said, ‘We want meetings with you and ADs that we can express concerns. And if you say no, then fine, but then just tell us no. Don’t take these things and just put them off to some file that they never get looked at.’

“And it’s been good. There’s a lot of different things going on. Certain things are always going to be, you do what’s best for where you’re working. And then I think a lot of things are just things that we think are best for the ACC and college football.”

Clawson is in his third year as chair of the ACC head coaches’ committee, a position that usually has a one-year term but was extended after 2019 to stabilize matters during the pandemic in 2020, then extended another year with the commissioner transition.

“We want to become more than just Clemson-plus,” Clawson said of the league’s football power structure. “And what can we do to elevate the standard in the way that we are viewed right there with the SEC? And obviously, Clemson has held the banner for us, they’ve done an incredible job. But what do we do to help to elevate the brand, to make our football even better than it is? We come up with ideas and things that we feel are important, but it takes investment, and hopefully, that’s something that’s coming.”

As Swinney held a similar discussion with The Athletic later in the day, the Clemson coach spoke of his holistic approach to the committee, and to the league’s football identity. Clawson was walking by and came over to validate his conference colleague’s stance, saying: “He could just drive Clemson, and he doesn’t do that. He really does what’s best for college football. And that’s why all the coaches in our league really appreciate him.”

“And vice versa,” Swinney said. “That’s been great. We’ve been in the league awhile and we’ve never had an opportunity as coaches to have the access like we’ve had. We really have been able to communicate so much better.”

Last edited:

If they get the numbers and do withdraw from the NCAA, what does that do to their other sports?

If they totally withdraw, do they do away with the four years of eligibility limit? That is, let players "stay in college" and play football for 5 or six years?

WVU did get an upgrade (to R1) in research standing in 2016.

The state needs to start a few junior colleges to take the admit everyone pressure currently on WVU.

Back