Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 2432

Thread: Conference Expansion: USC and UCLA to the Big Ten?

  1. #21
    Outside of Texas and OU (and possibly KS because of basketball), not sure that the remaining Big 12 schools are attractive enough to be added to the other 4 power conferences.

    Baylor is toxic right now; neither the ACC, Big 10 or SEC would want WV and the school makes no geographic sense for the PAC 12. Iowa State, Texas Tech merely take up space. TCU has a teeny fanbase. K State and OK State have the chance of getting in as a partner with their more attractive in-state brother.

    Would Texas rather be in the SEC, PAC12 or Big 10?

  2. #22
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,460
    I don't think the SEC even wants Texas.

  3. #23
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134,096
    A&M probably doesn't.

  4. #24
    Ricky Peral nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    too many places
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Outside of Texas and OU (and possibly KS because of basketball), not sure that the remaining Big 12 schools are attractive enough to be added to the other 4 power conferences.

    Baylor is toxic right now; neither the ACC, Big 10 or SEC would want WV and the school makes no geographic sense for the PAC 12. Iowa State, Texas Tech merely take up space. TCU has a teeny fanbase. K State and OK State have the chance of getting in as a partner with their more attractive in-state brother.

    Would Texas rather be in the SEC, PAC12 or Big 10?
    I doubt Texas wants to follow A&M.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    I don't think the SEC even wants Texas.
    lol.

    Texas is more valuable than any team in the SEC. It's all about money.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by CantStandYa View Post
    Texas/OU to the SEC, everyone else gets split up between Pac12 and B1G. Then we're down to four power conferences and everyone's happy. Right?
    I think that the Big 10 would be real smart with that Texas-Kansas pickup, both for their basketball & Kansas and of course getting into Texas. Then the SEC part of that article with them going after both the Oklahoma schools would be a real coup as that wraps it up as far as sealing the best overall football conference and takes them to the magic 16 team conference. What the ACC needs to do is find the 1 school to add [like maybe Cincy?] and somehow pressure Notre Dame into coming in for football and then we have our 16. The Pac 12 needs to go after BYU and a few others and get themselves up to 16. My only question is if Kansas goes somewhere, does K-State have to go with them?

  7. #27
    Why is 16 a magic number?

    It's not. Better to have 15 or 14, unless the schools that come in are going to bring in more revenue than they take out. ND and Texas do that obviously (Kansas probably does as well). Cincy does not.

  8. #28
    ^^ was assuming the same about Kansas St that they were tied to KU. I would really hate Cincy in the ACC. Baylor seems a lot more appealing (once all of this dies down). What about...

    OU-- SEC
    OKST-- SEC

    Texas-- Big 10
    WVU-- Big 10

    Kansas-- Pac 12
    Kansas St-- Pac 12
    BYU-- Pac 12
    Boise??-- Pac 12

    ND-- ACC
    Baylor-- ACC

    Then you've got the 4 16 team conferences...

  9. #29
    Baylor was a nothing program until Briles took over. Now that he has been sacked, they will be a nothing program again. The ACC would only bring in a Texas school if it was Texas. WV would never get an Big 10 invite. The Big 10 is about expanding markets for its network. Kansas brings in the St. Louis and KC market. WV does nothing on that front. The Big 10 would be more likely to invite UCONN than WV (and they wouldn't invite UCONN).

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Why is 16 a magic number?

    It's not. Better to have 15 or 14, unless the schools that come in are going to bring in more revenue than they take out. ND and Texas do that obviously (Kansas probably does as well). Cincy does not.
    16 is only a magic number if you want to do four team pods for scheduling.

  11. #31
    Ricky Peral nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    too many places
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by slickdeac View Post
    ^^ was assuming the same about Kansas St that they were tied to KU. I would really hate Cincy in the ACC. Baylor seems a lot more appealing (once all of this dies down). What about...

    OU-- SEC
    OKST-- SEC

    Texas-- Big 10
    WVU-- Big 10

    Kansas-- Pac 12
    Kansas St-- Pac 12
    BYU-- Pac 12
    Boise??-- Pac 12

    ND-- ACC
    Baylor-- ACC

    Then you've got the 4 16 team conferences...
    Unless its Texas I have a hard time seeing the Pac12's university President's approving any expansion. They are already making less money than what they were promised with the Pac-12 networks. Why would they want to split the revenue dollars 16 ways? The markets of SLC (which they already have with Utah), Boise and Kansas City are not appealing enough.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by CantStandYa View Post
    Texas/OU to the SEC, everyone else gets split up between Pac12 and B1G. Then we're down to four power conferences and everyone's happy. Right?
    I can see the Big 10 making a run at Texas and either an Oklahoma/Kansas. Gets them to an even 16 and it fortifies the western division. The Big 10 network makes it a financial windfall for all involved. The only thing that could mess it up is if someone decides Texas Tech or Okie St. needs to tag along.

  13. #33
    4 16-team conferences is something fans care about, but schools and conferences don't care about that at all and are going to do what's in the individual best interest.

    Pac 12 isn't going past 12 unless it's Texas and OU.
    ACC isn't going to 16 unless it's ND + ____.
    ND is going anywhere because it doesn't have to.
    SEC and Big10 aren't going past 14 unless it's Texas.

    I think the most likely scenario in the near term is that Big 12 just adds 2 teams. This gets them to a conf champ game which means money and better seat at the playoff table. Those 2 things are worth taking on 2 lesser schools and adding 2 more teams to the denominator. They won't go to 14 now because the jump to 14 doesn't come with a benefit (CC game $, CFP respect) to offset the bigger denominator that the jump to 12 comes with.

  14. #34
    12 teams is no longer a requirement to have a conference championship game. The Big XII approved splitting into two 5 team divisions and adding a championship game earlier in the summer.

    They could just expand by two but it is more likely they add four teams.
    1. The Big XII's current tv contract says they get paid the same amount of money for adding a new team regardless of who it is. So they will likely add four teams and pay them less for an extended period of time while they split the extra money with the current existing membership.
    2. The governor of Texas is demanding Houston be included in any Big XII expansion. If they do that, then that only leaves them three schools to get into new markets.
    3. Texas and Oklahoma are likely leaving the Big XII for another conference when the current Grant of Rights ends in 2025. By adding more teams now, the left behinds have a greater chance of holding the conference together when Texas and Oklahoma hit the door.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by timthedeac View Post
    4 16-team conferences is something fans care about, but schools and conferences don't care about that at all and are going to do what's in the individual best interest.

    Pac 12 isn't going past 12 unless it's Texas and OU.
    ACC isn't going to 16 unless it's ND + ____.
    ND is going anywhere because it doesn't have to.
    SEC and Big10 aren't going past 14 unless it's Texas.

    I think the most likely scenario in the near term is that Big 12 just adds 2 teams. This gets them to a conf champ game which means money and better seat at the playoff table. Those 2 things are worth taking on 2 lesser schools and adding 2 more teams to the denominator. They won't go to 14 now because the jump to 14 doesn't come with a benefit (CC game $, CFP respect) to offset the bigger denominator that the jump to 12 comes with.
    Agree with all of this. Would only add that the other Power V conferences do have a business incentive to see the Big 12 crater. If that happens, it's one less conference with a BCS seat. If that happens, it also helps the other power conference's leverage when negotiating rights fees. Finally, it helps with recruiting. Lets say Texas and OU leave the Big 12 and go to the Pac 12. Suddenly the remnants of the Big 12 are on par with the other crap conferences like the AAC and the Mountain West. Suddenly it becomes a lot easier to recruit against TCU, Baylor and all those remaining schools that got left on the outside.

    BTW, this was the plan when the ACC raided the Big East, and it worked. The point wasn't just to gain members to strengthen the ACC; the point was to destroy the Big East, making it easier to negotiate rights fees and making the remaining schools less attractive.

  16. #36
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    134,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Baylor was a nothing program until Briles took over. Now that he has been sacked, they will be a nothing program again. The ACC would only bring in a Texas school if it was Texas. WV would never get an Big 10 invite. The Big 10 is about expanding markets for its network. Kansas brings in the St. Louis and KC market. WV does nothing on that front. The Big 10 would be more likely to invite UCONN than WV (and they wouldn't invite UCONN).

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchard View Post
    Why is 16 a magic number?

    It's not. Better to have 15 or 14, unless the schools that come in are going to bring in more revenue than they take out. ND and Texas do that obviously (Kansas probably does as well). Cincy does not.
    Brings in the state of Ohio. Just like a different conference than us is going to take UCF for the value of the state of Florid and what it brings down the road--certainly not their football or basketball team right now. Same reason why the Big 10 took Rutgers & Maryland--TV viewership and big markets. Somebody, maybe the Pac-12, will want Houston for the same reason.

  18. #38
    Memphis will get in the Big 12. FedEx will see to it.

  19. #39
    Only team I would consider bringing into the ACC with ND at this point is WV. We let in Louisville after all. WVU makes sense geographically and has natural rivals. They're a strong and respected football program that travels well.

  20. #40
    Let's say the Big 12 goes to 14 now with BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati (I have a hard time seeing any of Boise, U Conn, UCF, USF jumping any of those 4). 14-14-14-14-12 isn't as symmetrical as 16-16-16-16 but it would probably accelerate a move to an 8-team playoff where you have 5 conference champs, 1 non power conference champ, and 2 at large.

    And I think there's actually more stability in the landscape at that point than these articles suggest.

    - Texas is still in the drivers seat in the Big 12 and is probably better off to stay in the Big 12 with their own network and better-than-even revenue sharing than to jump to another conference and be forced to have a conference network and equal revenue sharing

    - If Texas doesn't move, then not much incentive for the other conferences to poach other Big 12 teams. Worst scenario for any of them would be to poach a lesser Big 12 team, destabilize things for Texas, open up possibility for another power conference to land Texas. (such as SEC goes after the Oklahoma schools, Texas sees things falling apart and goes to the Big 10 with Kansas)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •