• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Memphis and Colorado State have offered to take less than a full share of the conference pay out until the Big XII Grant of Rights run out in the 2024-2025 season. Other candidates may do the same.

The major candidates are
BYU (Football Only)
Boise State (Football Only)
Cincinnati
Memphis
UConn
Houston
UCF
USF
Colorado State
Tulane

In addition to the names listed above, East Carolina and SMU have publicly thrown their hats in the ring for a bid.

Other schools are looking at the potential to move into the AAC as backfill. Old Dominion, Southern Miss, UMass, Charlotte and Northern Illinois are the names most getting mentioned for that move.

Everyone on the outside is of course going to throw their name in, since this might be the last opportunity. Realistically though, Cincinnati and Memphis are two for full-time, then it's just a question of whether they add 2 for football only or 2 more full-time.

In addition to the names listed above, East Carolina and SMU have publicly thrown their hats in the ring for a bid.

Other schools are looking at the potential to move into the AAC as backfill. Old Dominion, Southern Miss, UMass, Charlotte and Northern Illinois are the names most getting mentioned for that move.

At the 2021 AAC championship game between ODU and UNCC, wonder if they'll do a 20th anniversary look back at 01 Miami winning the same conference and having about 30 first round picks.

What's so great about Memphis?

USF people have said all along that the admin won't be out in the open with overtures to the Big 12 and will use the same playbook of 11-12 years ago getting into the Big East. I was pleased when Bowlsby mentioned they would look at market size and research (USF leads the other candidates in both).

I was somewhat confident they would get in if there were 4 teams. That took a hit yesterday when Texas endorsed Houston.

Bad timing with the men's basketball academic fraud allegations as well. Women's hoops and football are on track though.

UCF seems to be in front of USF based on media write ups.

The Morning News says UH and Cincinnati are the front-runners at the moment. There's some horse trading going on: Cougar High promised to stop their opposition to UT's new campus in Houston if UT would support their Big 12 bid. And the Gov. and Lt. Gov. are both pushing for their inclusion. I'd link to it, but it's behind a paywall. SMU is also making their case, for what that's worth.

Memphis will get in the Big 12. FedEx will see to it.

I know what you are saying, but I am picturing a FedEx envelope showing up to Big 12 HQs with a contract that has "Cincinnati" crossed out and "Memphis" handwritten in

The Morning News says UH and Cincinnati are the front-runners at the moment. There's some horse trading going on: Cougar High promised to stop their opposition to UT's new campus in Houston if UT would support their Big 12 bid. And the Gov. and Lt. Gov. are both pushing for their inclusion. I'd link to it, but it's behind a paywall. SMU is also making their case, for what that's worth.

Good info.

I hope it's Houston, Cincy and both FL schools. Everyone starts at $10 million a year. Go up 1 or 2 per year until full membership.

FL schools won't get in.

Cincy is pretty much a sure thing.

BYU, Memphis, Houston all possibilities. Need to decide if they want 12 or 14.

They better go for 14 because OU and TX (or OSU) will leave a watered-down conference and they'll be down 2 again. Either that or throw all those pussy schools in a north division and it can be like it was in the old days when the north offered up a sacrificial patsy to OU or TX in the title game.

It will be Houston and Cinci

With BYU and Boise for football only

Is that opinion or info?

Interesting concept thrown out there by some of the people on College Sirius in that the Big XII could come out and just be the first conference to go for the whole enchilada and do a 16 team conference right now. They can grab UCF and get into Florida, get Cincy which seem to be a given, Houston, BYU, Memphis & Boise St and be done with it. It would give them one helluva footprint and huge media rights into some good states. Can't say it will happen but it was thrown out there as something they should strongly think about.

“In these situations, communication is critical,” said Aresco, who was a long-time television executive before getting into college administration. “I’ve been talking to the (athletic directors) and the president of the schools that might leave, and it looks like some of them will. We’re talking to each other and trying to figure out the future. We expect everyone who leaves will leave on good terms.”

Aresco also has heard that the Big 12 is looking at bringing in some schools as football-only members.

http://gridironnow.com/big-12-expan...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Personal Dream Scenario for ACC if expends to 16:

16 teams, 2 divisions

Div A
BC
Louisville
Syracuse
Miami
Pitt
VT
ND
WVU

Div B
Clemson
Duke
FSU
GT
State
UNC
UVA
Wake

Play 9 conferences games in football. 7 against your division, 1 perm crossover (makes UVA-VT and FSU-Miami happy), 1 rotating. Everyone plays their rivals.

ACC division is stronger, but not overwhelmingly so.

Last edited:
Back