• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Texas regret
fayetteville.tu.png

Texas regret
fayetteville.tu.png

In some ways it's amazing that a school which has been uncompetitive in the Big 12 for a good while was so anxious to join a much tougher conference where they will likely be little more than a doormat for the better teams in the conference. Of course they did it for the money and prestige of being an SEC member, but I hope they learn to enjoy being a perennial also-ran in that conference.

It's generally worked out for A&M though.

In some ways it's amazing that a school which has been uncompetitive in the Big 12 for a good while was so anxious to join a much tougher conference where they will likely be little more than a doormat for the better teams in the conference. Of course they did it for the money and prestige of being an SEC member, but I hope they learn to enjoy being a perennial also-ran in that conference.

I don't think their ego will allow that. This is a very curious situation for Texas.

Texas has been a perennial also-ran through the last decade. They've had one 10 win season and one 9 win season since 2009. Vince Young and Colt McCoy aren't walking through that door. Wake is 34-27 over the previous 5 years. Texas is 37-25.

Texas has been a perennial also-ran through the last decade. They've had one 10 win season and one 9 win season since 2009. Vince Young and Colt McCoy aren't walking through that door. Wake is 34-27 over the previous 5 years. Texas is 37-25.

So if Texas has seasons of 6-6 or 7-4, at best, for the first 5 years of it’s SEC membership, will they look to move somewhere else?
There likely won’t be anywhere else to go. I know it’s too late now, but I’m thinking if Texas had stayed in the B12 and was able to keep it alive, they may have been able become top dog again. It doesn’t matter now. As others have stated, I think Texas is going to have a very tough time in the SEC.

So if Texas has seasons of 6-6 or 7-4, at best, for the first 5 years of it’s SEC membership, will they look to move somewhere else?
There likely won’t be anywhere else to go. I know it’s too late now, but I’m thinking if Texas had stayed in the B12 and was able to keep it alive, they may have been able become top dog again. It doesn’t matter now. As others have stated, I think Texas is going to have a very tough time in the SEC.

Counterpoint: Texas alums have lots of money. NIL deals will buy Texas better players.

It's generally worked out for A&M though.

Not sure their SEC record agrees with that assessment. In 9 SEC seasons, A&M is 42-31 in the SEC, and, the Aggies have one 2nd place finish, one third place finish, and every other season they have finished 5th or worse (overall conference record). They have never sniffed an SEC Championship game. Of the 14 SEC teams, only A&M, Vandy, Ole Miss and KY have never made a CG appearance. Got to believe that if A&M stayed in the Big 12, they would've won a Big 12 Championship, and maybe even made a CFP appearance. The Aggies look perpetually stuck with at best good, but not remarkable, seasons.

If the bottom line is money (and it usually is), then, yes, the move to the SEC has worked out for A&M.

Last edited:
All else being equal, the 2012 and 2020 A&M teams in the Big 12 probably make the playoff (if the playoff existed in 2012, which it didn't). I think the question then becomes is A&M able to recruit the same teams if they're in the Big 12? Without being in the SEC do they land in-state players like Manziel, Garrett, and Evans over Texas or do those guys end up at some SEC school? Are they able to lure in out of state talent like Christian Kirk without being in the SEC? My guess is that they still get some of those guys, but not all of them.

With Texas' Scrooge McDuck pile of money, the NIL rules, and SEC membership I'm betting that they pass A&M pretty quickly, but I really don't see them being competitive with the uper echelon of the conference or being a serious playoff contender anytime soon.

Not sure their SEC record agrees with that assessment. In 9 SEC seasons, A&M is 42-31 in the SEC, and, the Aggies have one 2nd place finish, one third place finish, and every other season they have finished 5th or worse (overall conference record). They have never sniffed an SEC Championship game. Of the 14 SEC teams, only A&M, Vandy, Ole Miss and KY have never made a CG appearance. Got to believe that if A&M stayed in the Big 12, they would've won a Big 12 Championship, and maybe even made a CFP appearance. The Aggies look perpetually stuck with at best good, but not remarkable, seasons.

If the bottom line is money (and it usually is), then, yes, the move to the SEC has worked out for A&M.

Their Big XII record doesn't agree with your assessment. In their last 9 Big XII seasons, A&M was 34-39 in the Big XII, and the Aggies did not finish 1st or 2nd in their division.

If the bottom line is winning football games (and it should be), then yes, the move to the SEC has worked out for A&M.

Their Big XII record doesn't agree with your assessment. In their last 9 Big XII seasons, A&M was 34-39 in the Big XII, and the Aggies did not finish 1st or 2nd in their division.

If the bottom line is winning football games (and it should be), then yes, the move to the SEC has worked out for A&M.

I agree and I think the gist of my last post lines up with this. I feel safe saying that A&M was able to recruit better with the move to the SEC. Texas being down during this time certainly helps, but being the kid with the shiny new toy (being in the SEC) probably sealed the deal for number of recruits who otherwise would have committed elsewhere.

aTm has done the same shit in the SEC as they did in the Big XII. Mostly middling teams with a few good years. Their recruiting has benefited the most from being there, and that will be neutralized a bit with OU and Texas coming onboard since they compete for many of the same recruits.

Saban won't be at Alabama forever. When Alabama is out of the equation, or at least less of a factor, the SEC will return to what it once was, which was a revolving door of champions. Texas will be a factor if they ever get a coach. I'm not so sure Sark is that guy. His record as a HC is pretty mediocre, even if he was on the sauce.

They went from 5 games under .500 in the Big XII to 11 games over .500 in the SEC. That’s not the same shit. It’s not Bama but it’s better.

They went from 5 games under .500 in the Big XII to 11 games over .500 in the SEC. That’s not the same shit. It’s not Bama but it’s better.

A&M didn't join the SEC to be the 5th to 8th best program in the conference. They wanted to return to the 1990s when they had 3 top 10s, and finished every season ranked, but one. Averaging a game over .500 each year in the conference is not what a school with the third highest paid coach in college football is shooting for. Moving to the SEC didn't get A&M closer to the college football elites, and agree with ELC's point that with Texas and OK now joining, the Aggies lose the one in-state recruiting edge they may have had.

aTm has done the same shit in the SEC as they did in the Big XII. Mostly middling teams with a few good years. Their recruiting has benefited the most from being there, and that will be neutralized a bit with OU and Texas coming onboard since they compete for many of the same recruits.

Saban won't be at Alabama forever. When Alabama is out of the equation, or at least less of a factor, the SEC will return to what it once was, which was a revolving door of champions. Texas will be a factor if they ever get a coach. I'm not so sure Sark is that guy. His record as a HC is pretty mediocre, even if he was on the sauce.

Saban got to Alabama in 2007. From 1987 to 2007, 4 SEC teams combined to win 5 national titles. Since then, 4 SEC schools have won 9 titles in 14 tries. Of course, only Alabama has won more than 1 title.

Its nice that the SEC has been able to get LSU 2 titles and Florida, and Auburn 1 title each since Saban got there. But that performance wasn't drastically different than the 2 titles won by Florida, the one by Tennesee, and the 1 by LSU prior to Saban. The major difference is that Alabama wins everything now.

Once Saban is gone, I would be shocked if Alabama continued to be dominant. I would also be shocked if any other SEC school built a dynasty to replace Alabama. None of them have done so to this point.

A&M didn't join the SEC to be the 5th to 8th best program in the conference. They wanted to return to the 1990s when they had 3 top 10s, and finished every season ranked, but one. Averaging a game over .500 each year in the conference is not what a school with the third highest paid coach in college football is shooting for. Moving to the SEC didn't get A&M closer to the college football elites, and agree with ELC's point that with Texas and OK now joining, the Aggies lose the one in-state recruiting edge they may have had.

Most programs who were in power conferences in the 90s want to go back to the 90s except Wake and a few others. And everyone wants to win a championship or finish top 10. A&M still has two top 10 finishes over the last 9 years. They peaked in the top 10 six of those 9 years. The program has significantly improved and I doubt anyone in the A&M community wishes they never left the Big XII especially now that they're getting Texas and Oklahoma games back.

Has the SEC announced how they're going to structure divisions? The obvious move would be to put Texas and Oklahoma in the West, move Mizzou to the West, and move Alabama and Auburn to the East. But that would lose a lot of good TV games. A better idea would be to go to four divisions:

West - Texas, A&M, OU, Mizzou
Central - Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St
North - SC, Tenn, Vandy, UK
South - Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn (the $$$ division)

Pair up different divisions every year. Teams play each team in their division and partner division and one game each against the other two divisions for nine games total. The two champs within each division pair play in the SEC CG.

100% certain that every team in the SEC West is behind a pod/division system, and none of them wants to be in a pod with Bama.

I'm just remembering that Texas A&M finished the season ranked #4 last year and thinking that was pretty good.

Back