• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I said it earlier, but Currie should probably be putting the pieces in place where we go indy in football and join the Big East the second the ACC folds. This at least protects men's bball and I'm sure we could figure out an indy schedule for football. Would be a decent conference for soccer too.

Indy in football is a tough road. Ask South Carolina.

I remember Ph pitching a "coast to coast" conference on these boards like, 5 years ago and man, that really shoulda happened.

He’s such a try-hard doosh in his interviews too. His old buddies in the B10 are completely clowning him. Especially once they grab UNC and UVA.

yeah basically his accomplishments to date seem to be:

1. the new permanent rival football thing that is now looking to be DOA just like 2 days after announcement
2. watching the ACC get absolutely shit on throughout football and basketball seasons, with the ACC dominating the tournament and the team with the COY and POY left at home
3. talking about moving the offices in an era where many big companies are downsizing offices and embracing remote work

Indy in football is a tough road. Ask South Carolina.

I agree that it's tough, but in the interest of protecting all sports is it better than putting all sports into a random conference with Texas Tech, WVU, BC, etc.? I'm not sure.

I agree that it's tough, but in the interest of protecting all sports is it better than putting all sports into a random conference with Texas Tech, WVU, BC, etc.? I'm not sure.

the only way to protect all sports is to make as much money as is humanly possible in the one sport that makes a shit ton of money

Prediction: if the ACC does expand and absorb teams from places like Texas and the west coast, the new conference name will be the American Collegiate Conference. You still keep the more-commonly used name of "ACC" as opposed to "Atlantic Coast Conference", and retain some thread of the tradition that has been and would continue under the ACC banner.

Dick Hemric was the key for us at Sedgefield in 1953.

I hope Currie can find some type of leverage for us to land somewhere soft. I don’t see it. We’ve left Currie with a POS hand if you ask me.

I hope Currie can find some type of leverage for us to land somewhere soft. I don’t see it. We’ve left Currie with a POS hand if you ask me.

Who is the "we've" referring to?

I’m honestly not sure how UVA and UNC move the needle here. No one cares about football at those schools.

Jim Phillips botched this by not expanding playoff along with Pac12- could have stopped this for next 10 years minimum and kept ACC in tact. Say what you will about Swofford- he was a UNC-CH homer- but he would’ve seen writing on wall and expanded it when he had chance. The call against the expanded playoff will go down in WF sports lore as a date that will live in infamy - right there with the decision for Levy to shoot technical FT’s against WVU in 2005.

I remember Ph pitching a "coast to coast" conference on these boards like, 5 years ago and man, that really shoulda happened.

It actually started much longer ago than that. I first pitched a Coast to Coast Network back when the Big Ten Network started. A formal partnership has made sense for a long time since those are the only two leagues who can’t realistically poach each other.

I have read a few times over the years that if the ACC adds a new member, that opens TV rights negotiations, which voids the existing GOR deals and allows anyone to leave without penalty

I do not know whether this is the case and I can't find a credible source for this currently, but I have read that

so...if that is true, and if the ACC adds Arizona tomorrow, Clemson could be gone, penalty-free, by Monday

(this concern is noted in the Reddit thread re: AZ to ACC linked above)

Last edited:

Here's what matters in regards to expansion: 1) TV markets, 2) alumni size, and 3) football. We can't control 1 and 2, and currently our football is as good as it has ever been. So Currie has the best possible hand he could have at Wake.

I have read a few times over the years that if the ACC adds a new member, that opens TV rights negotiations, which voids the existing GOR deals and allows anyone to leave without penalty

I do not know whether this is the case and I can't find a credible source for this currently, but I have read that

so...if that is true, and if the ACC adds Arizona tomorrow, Clemson could be gone, penalty-free, by Monday

From what I have read, I think the ACC GOR is pretty strong, especially since it goes for 14 more years. I can't find anywhere that adding teams affects the GOR (though I have seen the speculation), but if it does, it seems very unlikely the ACC adds teams unless all current schools agree to an updated GOR.

Screw Clemson. They can go to the SEC and enjoy being middle tier in that 20 team cluster.

Funny that the Big 10 has this current aura of being a dominant football conference and that has led to the current situation.

tOSU has had a solid run with one title in the BCS/CFP era, but after that, what? Michigan and Mich State were both exposed in their one CFP appearance, and the rest of the conference? Yikes. Illinois? Purdue? Rutgers? Maryland? Nebraska? Indiana? Minnesota? It really is mediocre, at best, football. Understand that the Big 10 network generates revenue that the ACCN does not (hard to understand how and why as the Big 10 Network programming is largely unwatchable: rewind of Purdue with Drew Brees and Rutgers v. Penn State in Lax... yawn), but as far as on the field product goes, the Big 10 has been worse than both the ACC and Big 12 in recent years.

I don't know exactly which poster here it was (I'm thinking either guitar or Creamy) but back when the SEC got UT and OK and it was looking the SEC was going to be the one major league, the poster commented that the Big 10 has universities with very smart faculties and they would respond. That post has lived well.

Funny that the Big 10 has this current aura of being a dominant football conference and that has led to the current situation.

tOSU has had a solid run with one title in the BCS/CFP era, but after that, what? Michigan and Mich State were both exposed in their one CFP appearance, and the rest of the conference? Yikes. Illinois? Purdue? Rutgers? Maryland? Nebraska? Indiana? Minnesota? It really is mediocre, at best, football. Understand that the Big 10 network generates revenue that the ACCN does not (hard to understand how and why as the Big 10 Network programming is largely unwatchable: rewind of Purdue with Drew Brees and Rutgers v. Penn State in Lax... yawn), but as far as on the field product goes, the Big 10 has been worse than both the ACC and Big 12 in recent years.

You're a great poster. But you're still missing the point on this one.

Back