• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I'm getting a kick out of packpride right now. State fans seem to think they're destined for the SEC or B10. Maybe so but I just don't see it. I've met a surprising number of State grads in my travels over the years, but I just don't think they've got the cachet or geographic reach to be a player in the Big Two. I'm not even sure they spend as much money on FB as Wake does?

I think unc could drag either duke or state along with them. The preference would be unc-uva I think, but that brand probably has that kind of sway. Question then becomes who holds the cards: the state government or the boosters.

It’s nice that in all the uncertainty at this point the one thing some people know for sure is that this is the death of all college sports.

Agree that this could signal the end of "big-time" college sports for us, but if you look at most any DIII school's athletic website you'll find that in addition to football/basketball/baseball, most offer sports that Wake doesn't: lacrosse, wrestling, swimming/diving, water polo, softball, competitive cheer, rowing, etc. And while they don't have any t.v. deals or big crowd/stadiums to compete in and in front of, they usually take a bus ride of a few hours or less to compete against other like-minded and funded schools in the region. Point being, college sports aren't going away, and by once again aligning athletics more closely with academics, it could insure its long-term viability for "big time" privates like Wake.
So if Wake does end up in a Magnolia League in particular for football, I'll likely still make the drive to tailgate with friends and catch some still very good good but not necessarily great talent on the field. And doubly count me in if it means no more noon kickoffs in September or 8:00 p.m. in November, along with eliminating endless t.v. timeouts.

A fellow Deacon lawyer buddy of mine's firm drafted the GOR and he says it's absolutely airtight and the ACC would basically own a school that left. Might make financial sense in five years but didn't see ACC splitting up this year. That being said we're on life support until then without coming up with a sliding scale for revenue share or doing the unthinkable and getting ND to join.

We should have known when we missed the Dance, and Forbes said we had to win even two more. The world had changed already. Basically the two powers thought fuck 'em. They knew then.

I would guess this expansion is ruining the holiday weekend for some Notre Dame lawyers. What did they sign over to the ACC when they joined for all sports except football? What are the penalties and costs of getting out of the agreement? What did ND agree to do with football? Currently independent, I would expect some strong penalties if Notre Dame were to join any conference except the ACC. I could see language that kicks in Grant of Rights for all sports to ACC if Notre Dame football joins any conference except the ACC. I also suspect that the scheduling agreement that has ND playing five ACC teams in football every year has som strong guarantees and hefty penalties if broken before the agreement ends.

If I am the ACC side of negotiating the partial membership of Notre Dame, I include fractional grant of rights for the fractional payout from thevACC. That GoR becomes 100% if Notre Dame joins any conference for football. If ND joins the ACC for football, the GoR gets them full share of conference distributions.
The Naval Academy rescued Notre Dame during WWII and Notre Dame plays them in football every year. The ACC rescued ND during Covid. Will ND be less honorable to the ACC?

I would guess this expansion is ruining the holiday weekend for some Notre Dame lawyers. What did they sign over to the ACC when they joined for all sports except football? What are the penalties and costs of getting out of the agreement? What did ND agree to do with football? Currently independent, I would expect some strong penalties if Notre Dame were to join any conference except the ACC. I could see language that kicks in Grant of Rights for all sports to ACC if Notre Dame football joins any conference except the ACC. I also suspect that the scheduling agreement that has ND playing five ACC teams in football every year has som strong guarantees and hefty penalties if broken before the agreement ends.

If I am the ACC side of negotiating the partial membership of Notre Dame, I include fractional grant of rights for the fractional payout from thevACC. That GoR becomes 100% if Notre Dame joins any conference for football. If ND joins the ACC for football, the GoR gets them full share of conference distributions.
The Naval Academy rescued Notre Dame during WWII and Notre Dame plays them in football every year. The ACC rescued ND during Covid. Will ND be less honorable to the ACC?
Honor? Like The Alliance bullshit. When the Big Whatever had their fingers crossed behind their backs. There is no honor in any of this. You could see this coming. The two renegade conferences teamed up with their sports writers to punk ACC football all last year. Continued in basketball. Used our Alma Mater to prove it. Look at the ACC. Fucking Wake Forest. Not that we were good. Hell no. The ACC is weak. Clawson success led to the ACC is not worthy.

But it's all okay for me. Because in my life I witnessed an SEC power team lay down and refuse to take a potential defeat in a bowl game at the hands of Wake Forest. Pussies. Forever on the books. In a year they beat Alabama.

But it's all okay for me. Because in my life I witnessed an SEC power team lay down and refuse to take a potential defeat in a bowl game at the hands of Wake Forest. Pussies. Forever on the books. In a year they beat Alabama.

Interesting theory, I think UCLA did the same thing to NC State at the Holiday Bowl

Except wake got to absolutely manhandle a big ten team in a nationally televised game. And the belk bowl beating felt that much sweeter in retrospect.

Honor? Like The Alliance bullshit. When the Big Whatever had their fingers crossed behind their backs. There is no honor in any of this. You could see this coming. The two renegade conferences teamed up with their sports writers to punk ACC football all last year. Continued in basketball. Used our Alma Mater to prove it. Look at the ACC. Fucking Wake Forest. Not that we were good. Hell no. The ACC is weak. Clawson success led to the ACC is not worthy.

Sadly - this is exactly right and we heard the same crap in 2006-2008. I love us winning 10 games but for sake of the conference survival - we are better off being 7-5 every year and having FSU and Clemson being top 10 and Miami, UVA, UNC being top 20, and State and VT being top 25-ish. Guarantee you if that had been the case last 5 years - none of this MegaBullshit would be happening. What’s really screwed the conference perception is VT, Miami, and FSU falling behind- especially Miami. Since the beginning of the divisions, Duke has won Coastal as many times as Miami and LOWF has won the Atlantic twice. That shouldn’t happen given the talent and tradition of the U. Instead of giving little schools credit, pundits take that that the conference is garbage. It’s a joke.

Agree that this could signal the end of "big-time" college sports for us, but if you look at most any DIII school's athletic website you'll find that in addition to football/basketball/baseball, most offer sports that Wake doesn't: lacrosse, wrestling, swimming/diving, water polo, softball, competitive cheer, rowing, etc. And while they don't have any t.v. deals or big crowd/stadiums to compete in and in front of, they usually take a bus ride of a few hours or less to compete against other like-minded and funded schools in the region. Point being, college sports aren't going away, and by once again aligning athletics more closely with academics, it could insure its long-term viability for "big time" privates like Wake.
So if Wake does end up in a Magnolia League in particular for football, I'll likely still make the drive to tailgate with friends and catch some still very good good but not necessarily great talent on the field. And doubly count me in if it means no more noon kickoffs in September or 8:00 p.m. in November, along with eliminating endless t.v. timeouts.

But for those of us outside the immediate region... We'd never see a Wake game again. Unless maybe they set up their own stream in house.

We will still be in major college sports it'll just be a different environment.

I think unc could drag either duke or state along with them. The preference would be unc-uva I think, but that brand probably has that kind of sway. Question then becomes who holds the cards: the state government or the boosters.

Duke and UVA have more of a national brand than State for sure. State is a good program on paper but it’s really the poor man’s Clemson and VT. They were behind VT in football in early 2000’s and behind Clemson in 2010’s. Yes- RDU is a superior market than Blacksburg or Clemson but you got UNC and Duke right there with more national appeal.

I hate em- but agreed that Tarholes have clout to do what they want and demand what they want in this situation- let’s hope they look out for their kid brother LOWF as they have before.

We will still be in major college sports it'll just be a different environment.

Correct. The Big East survived so the ACC can survive. Won’t be the same but then again it hasn’t been the same for a while anyway.

Screw 'em. Let them have their AAA football leagues. Won't watch. Don't even watch much NFL anymore.

Bring back the round robin home and home in hoops in the contracted ACC. :thumbsup:

State is irrelevant nationally (has been for decades) and has little that the SEC or Big 10 would find attractive other than just getting a foothold in the NC media market, albeit with an athletic afterthought. I would imagine that either the SEC or Big 10 would prefer to take UNC and Duke and leave State behind. As you noted, though, what may save State would be the NC legislature trying to tie State to UNC as a package deal. I believe that the Virginia legislature tried to do that with UVA and Va Tech some years ago, although I can't remember the details.

But for those of us outside the immediate region... We'd never see a Wake game again. Unless maybe they set up their own stream in house.

That’s not true. The lower cost of video production and the higher availability of streaming services makes it so nearly every college football is available online now, the main restriction being regional blackouts.

I think the doomsday scenarios around Wake Football are exaggerated - the main losses I’m concerned with are breaking up the Big 4 and how the loss of conference television money would hurt our entire athletics program. Wake was never a national program with title game aspirations, and we never recruited that caliber of player, so I don’t see how the ACC becoming a tier 2 conference changes much for us. Are we that much better off getting our asses kicked by FSU on ESPN 2 with no one watching on cable vs playing a competitive game against ECU with no one watching the ESPN+ stream on their smart tv?

Last edited:
If State goes to the Big 10, they will be Maryland 2.0. Cannon fodder for the big programs. I guess every conference needs a couple of patsies.

I think the doomsday scenarios around Wake Football are exaggerated - the main losses I’m concerned with are breaking up the Big 4 and how the loss of conference television money would hurt our entire athletics program.

But we will be rolling in ACC dissolution money. We’ll have a state of the art football program and use it to dominate the likes of App State and ECU.

Back