• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

James Phillips. Silent. I think that's a good thing. You just gonna take this shit or drop another bomb into it. I just don't think this dude gonna lay down. If he does, his legacy is Swofford level dumb shit. I think the ACC gonna take a punch.

There is a reason USC/UCLA are joining the Big Ten in 2024 not 2023 and why we've still not gotten a firm date on OU/Texas joining the SEC.

OU, a huge brand, financially can't until 2024 unless someone bails they out because of the exit fee.

No one wants their media rights for home games stripped for countless years, and from the looks of it, there's no way around it. Pretty much every single person that's been reporting on the GOR have said how airtight the contract is and how teams have been looking at it for years and still haven't been able to find ways out of it

There’s a big difference between 2024 and 2036. If there is enough urgency to get out of the GOR, lawyers and $$$ will find a way. It could be as simple as enough donors getting together to make up the losses to just get around the GOR. The GOR works for the ACC in terms of preventing one team from going to fellow P5 conference competing on the same level. But it seems like hollow money to help ACC compete at a lower level.

We are in between Ohio State and D2 now, and that wouldn’t change if we were left out of a major conference re-alignment. I think Wake Forest football will be just fine without playing in the same conference as Clemson and FSU. If we get a lower caliber of recruit, so be it. All the other teams we will be playing will also get a lower caliber of recruit. IMO the trade off of increased parity between us and our competition would be worth us not sharing a major conference with 3 other teams who could make the playoff.

That’s the big question for Wake fans. We’ve been competing at the highest level for decades but last year was the first time we actually were in contention for a championship. How much does that matter to the program, coaching staff, recruits, and fans? I really don’t know. Are the teams we play against as important as the team we root for?

Last edited:
At least we have leaders in important positions. Currie, Clawson and Forbes are the types of dudes to bring us through to the other side. They at least give us a punchers chance.

At least we have leaders in important positions. Currie, Clawson and Forbes are the types of dudes to bring us through to the other side. They at least give us a punchers chance.

If there’s any reason to be optimistic about our future it’s been Currie.

There’s a big difference between 2024 and 2036. If there is enough urgency to get out of the GOR, lawyers and $$$ will find a way. It could be as simple as enough donors getting together to make up the losses to just get around the GOR. The GOR works for the ACC in terms of preventing one team from going to fellow P5 conference competing on the same level. But it seems like hollow money to help ACC compete at a lower level.

That’s the big question for Wake fans. We’ve been competing at the highest level for decades but last year was the first time we actually were in contention for a championship. How much does that matter to the program, coaching staff, recruits, and fans? I really don’t know. Are the teams we play against as important as the team we root for?

It possibly could, but if it was that easy, again we'd have a more firm date on OU than not before 2024 which is the earliest reasonable people have been saying about OU and Texas. We've known they're leaving for a year.

Now I'm not a fool who thinks they make it all the way through 2036 or have heard that's likely. But 14 years before the GOR is up is... a lot. And it's not like people haven't been trying to get out of it. It also sounds like neither conference is in a rush to add people which makes a whole lot of sense

One way or another, we’re taking a punch.

Let’s take a step back from the death spiral - maybe it wouldn’t be worst thing in the world if Clemson, FSU, and Miami left ACC for greener pastures. This would give LOWF a legit shot every year of running the table and crashing CFP party like Cincy. Those teams when they are well coached - have too big of a talent gap for us to compete with. Yes I know we handled FSU last year but if they are well-coached - it’s very hard to beat them. We’ve never beaten Miami despite some awfully coached teams they’ve had- see 2008 and 2009. Size, speed, and depth of those teams is just too much when things are clicking. Clemson - only time we’ve been close to beating them was 2011 in the Dabo era - once in almost 15 years- I would bet all of the others are 14+ point loses.

The rest of the league we have leveled playing field with and even if we we lose - it’s a close game. Yeah , UNC, UVA, VT, and State have more 4/5 star players than we do - but we make it up with coaching and scheme. And with NIL and facilties - we are getting better players and beating them for blue chip regional guys - see Groulx, Greene, Grimes, Hall, Claiborne- we’ve never been able to do that in our history

There’s no urgency on leaving in two years. That’s no big deal at all. It didn’t stop them from planning the move or announcing the move and it won’t stop them from making the move. But they’ll find a way to get out of waiting 14 years.

JKW, the CFP wouldn’t exist as is. Most likely the SEC and Big Ten would have their own playoff and Super Bowl. Maybe a CFP for the rest of us, a lower division championship.

Last edited:
There’s no urgency on leaving in two years. That’s no big deal at all. It didn’t stop them from planning the move or announcing the move and it won’t stop them from making the move. But they’ll find a way to get out of waiting 14 years.

JKW, the CFP wouldn’t exist as is. Most likely the SEC and Big Ten would have their own playoff and Super Bowl. Maybe a CFP for the rest of us, a lower division championship.

Agreed it wouldn’t be today’s CFP but maybe that’s the best we can hope for in this era unless we go on a tear until GOR is up and win 9-11 games annually the next decade, merge with another school to increase enrollment, etc. I don’t see any of those happening though

Which would be rejected in less than a heartbeat by the Big 10 and would then ruin our relations with ACC schools.
Yep
848996c5c1d8d40ba32a82c2fcd70aac.gif

UNC currently has been offered by the SEC and Big10. Their lawyers are reviewing the deals and will make the recommendations. This is fact.

I still don’t understand why it matters anymore what “conference “ we’re in. It’s not even a conference in the way we are all used to it. College sports as we knew it is gone. There will be 40 teams playing for one championship and the rest playing for another. It will basically be the NFC and the AFC and no Super Bowl. Who cares who you are in some bag with anymore? Just play whatever schedule is in front of you. Tbh we are all living in the past and can’t seem to think In terms of what is reality now.

UNC currently has been offered by the SEC and Big10. Their lawyers are reviewing the deals and will make the recommendations. This is fact.

I still don’t understand why it matters anymore what “conference “ we’re in. It’s not even a conference in the way we are all used to it. College sports as we knew it is gone. There will be 40 teams playing for one championship and the rest playing for another. It will basically be the NFC and the AFC and no Super Bowl. Who cares who you are in some bag with anymore? Just play whatever schedule is in front of you. Tbh we are all living in the past and can’t seem to think In terms of what is reality now.
"This is fact". Really? Please say more.

Sorry. Where do you see this fact about UNC? I don’t see that being reported anywhere? Not saying it’s not plausible.

The irony is, after pulling 40 teams who will play a national schedule, the remaining 80 or so DI football schools could well end up going back to the old (and in many ways "better") model of 8-10 regional schools in a conference who would play each other annually, and their fans could easily make road trips to away games. If Wake makes it to the new model of the "big boys" I'm all-in, but OTOH I'm not abandoning the program just b/c it's no longer on the biggest stage.

I don’t see how the lacrosse teams and women’s soccer etc are going to travel all over the country to play their games. I just don’t see how that works.

The irony is, after pulling 40 teams who will play a national schedule, the remaining 80 or so DI football schools could well end up going back to the old (and in many ways "better") model of 8-10 regional schools in a conference who would play each other annually, and their fans could easily make road trips to away games. If Wake makes it to the new model of the "big boys" I'm all-in, but OTOH I'm not abandoning the program just b/c it's no longer on the biggest stage.

Yep. That's part of the big question for Wake as a university, program, and fanbase.

Another big question about any Super League plan centers around the perceived superiority of the SEC and Big Ten. It's based on a few programs. They certainly won't be able to claim that the worst Super League teams are better than the best teams that don't make the cut. They can separate themselves but the question will still remain. Also the NFL is still going to draft players who aren't in the Super League, so there will be great players who make it to the next level. This won't be an organic divide like major conferences (now the P5) and mid-major conferences (now the G5). It's going to be somewhat sudden and artificial, so will it stick?

It would only be news at this point if those two hadn’t offered UNC.

I can see the silver lining of being in a better situation where we aren’t traveling across the country to play teams that aren’t our rivals. But it’s only a sliver of silver.

speaking of traveling cross county, CFB needs to be detatched from the rest of college sports since that is what is driving all this stupidity. they really going to force UCLA womens volleyball to fly all around the midwest to fulfill their conference schedule?

eventually there should be a football only super conference, and they can split their massive CFB media rights which should be sold separately, and then return all the other sports back to their (somewhat) normal conferences. maybe we could even bring back the old school big east basketball and the 90s ACC round robin schedule

Back