• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

speaking of traveling cross county, CFB needs to be detatched from the rest of college sports since that is what is driving all this stupidity. they really going to force UCLA womens volleyball to fly all around the midwest to fulfill their conference schedule?

eventually there should be a football only super conference, and they can split their massive CFB media rights which should be sold separately, and then return all the other sports back to their (somewhat) normal conferences. maybe we could even bring back the old school big east basketball and the 90s ACC round robin schedule

WHAT FYC SAID

It’s gonna be a SEC/Big10 super playoff with contracts and agents and all the rest, y’all just accept it

I’m totally fine with Wake playing in the the 1-A league and winning shit. I can’t see this version of CFB working long term.

Screw 'em. :mad:

With the exception of vandy, nw and nd they're all crap schools anyway.

We should aim to be the Alabama of the lower division

Talk out there about UNC clemson Virginia and Florida state to the SEC. College sports is about to change dramatically. Big ten and the sec looking to take over. Odds are the power teams eventually leave the ncaa too

So far there hasn’t been a conference expansion bidding war. If the SEC and Big Ten are gunning for ACC teams, that’s a three way bidding war and negotiations.

If you’re a Carolina fan are you jazzed about a Tuesday night conference bball game at Nebraska? Or a November football away game at Indiana? Doesn’t matter got paid?

LOWF has no leverage here so not only are we not getting asked to the big kids table, but we won’t be able to negotiate a sweetheart deal to stay in conference. Only way Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc. stay in the league is if the equal profit sharing goes out the window and they get close to Big20/SEC cash which would come at our expense - further creating an un-equal playing field.

If you’re a Carolina fan are you jazzed about a Tuesday night conference bball game at Nebraska? Or a November football away game at Indiana? Doesn’t matter got paid?

Feel free to replace with Mississippi State and Mizzou. They already play Kentucky just about every year in hoops so nothing new there.

Feel free to replace with Mississippi State and Mizzou. They already play Kentucky just about every year in hoops so nothing new there.

They stopped caring about what fans wanted a long time ago- I remember having this same conversation in 2004 when Miami and VT came into the ACC and then again after subsequent expansions. Yeah, it’s weird having rivals halfway across the country but you adjust and move on sadly.

They stopped caring about what fans wanted a long time ago- I remember having this same conversation in 2004 when Miami and VT came into the ACC and then again after subsequent expansions. Yeah, it’s weird having rivals halfway across the country but you adjust and move on sadly.

I mean at least with Miami and VT your biggest rivals are already in the ACC. And I know it’s just about the arms race and all but I guess maybe it’s just the doom and gloom in me as a Wake fan since I know one day we’ll be on the outside looking in, but this shit is all hella lame.

I mean at least with Miami and VT your biggest rivals are already in the ACC. And I know it’s just about the arms race and all but I guess maybe it’s just the doom and gloom in me as a Wake fan since I know one day we’ll be on the outside looking in, but this shit is all hella lame.

I know- what really sucks is that it’s not a matter of if this happens- it’s when- is it today or 5 years from now? GOR won’t last until 2036. Silver lining is could be a lot of cash in hands of schools that stick around. There will be some ACC schools kept at little kids table. Cuse, BC, GT, likely State and VT as well. Don’t see Pitt or LVille being an attractive candidate for either conference but they are both huge schools in huge metro areas

I'm done speculating. Let the B1G and SEC cherry pick who they want to include.

The ESPN contract has provided our conference sufficient cash for our members to remain competitive thus far. It won't match what the SEC and B1G will receive in the future but it will be better than any other conference can provide. That should help keep the remaining ACC teams together and provide sufficient cash to remain a factor in NCAA D1 football.

If the numbers allow I would like to see Wake play every team in the conference every year in football and play every school home/away in basketball.

The worst thing about all this is that it’s only about some TV execs and college presidents trying to make more money. That’s the only reason 5 years from now UNC is going to have a road schedule at Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Purdue and their fans are going to act like it’s great because the athletic department is going to make a few more bucks and they get some prime FOX slots.

Grant of Rights may be tougher to crack than many think. Lots of very good lawyers put it together to be unbreakable. There may be a way to break it, but the cost might be too great.

Texas and Oklahoma are staying in the Big12 for two years because of the Big 12 Grant of Rights. If the couldn't afford two years, I doubt any ACC school can afford 14 years.

Yeah but schools can wait out two years. They can’t wait out 14 years. That type of desperation brings out new creativity.

Back