• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Bingo. And does anyone really think that attorneys from UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU haven’t been looking at loopholes to break the GOR for years? The UCLA/USC news just make it more likely that they find that loophole and the wrinkle is now Big 10 is coast-to-coast and has better (relatively) schools than SEC. UVA/UNC are too elitist/snobby for SEC but they aren’t for Big Ten- it’s actually a better fit for them anyways since it’s more of a basketball league anyways and now will have UCLA too. Clemson/FSU have been approached by SEC before no doubt but for whatever reason - didn’t make the jump - maybe thought it was too risky to break GOR. UNC is the key in all this - if they find a loophole to leave - dominos fall.

From comments I’ve seen from a Duke lawyer, I wouldn’t be afraid of Duke cracking the GOR.

Seems to me that perhaps the best strategy is a merger with the SEC. Straight up. All teams, all sports.

Seems to me that perhaps the best strategy is a merger with the SEC. Straight up. All teams, all sports.

SEC doesn't want every school. Just those with big enough "brands" such that adding the school makes the "pie" larger enough so that the smaller slices are bigger than before. SEC will not accept BC, WFU, Syracuse etc because they don't bring enough.

The worst thing about all this is that it’s only about some TV execs and college presidents trying to make more money. That’s the only reason 5 years from now UNC is going to have a road schedule at Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Purdue and their fans are going to act like it’s great because the athletic department is going to make a few more bucks and they get some prime FOX slots.

I disagree with this. They're doing it because the writing is on the wall that pay to play is here and they want to be in the highest tier of playing players to remain relevant. Everything else is going to be second tier.

SEC doesn't want every school. Just those with big enough "brands" such that adding the school makes the "pie" larger enough so that the smaller slices are bigger than before. SEC will not accept BC, WFU, Syracuse etc because they don't bring enough.
Correct. Alabama has ZERO intentions of playing in front of 30k people.

I disagree with this. They're doing it because the writing is on the wall that pay to play is here and they want to be in the highest tier of playing players to remain relevant. Everything else is going to be second tier.

Conference expansion started way before NIL.

I’ve heard thoughts of tiered payouts based on performance being floated which supposedly the “bigger” teams would advocate for. It would make sense but look at the results lately? Would FSU tolerate receiving a low tiered payout? Would the teams like Miami be ok with Wake finishing second and getting the second highest payout? I think this would be an interesting system in theory but it would be an absolute shit storm in application.

I’ve heard thoughts of tiered payouts based on performance being floated which supposedly the “bigger” teams would advocate for. It would make sense but look at the results lately? Would FSU tolerate receiving a low tiered payout? Would the teams like Miami be ok with Wake finishing second and getting the second highest payout? I think this would be an interesting system in theory but it would be an absolute shit storm in application.

Seems fair to me - performance based incentives. But it’s not about wins/losses - it’s about what you bring as a brand so yes - even though LOWF is winning on the field - it doesn’t matter sadly. In this new era , you’re better off being XYZ state U with 70k undergrads and a mediocre football program than LOWF, Stanford, TCU, Baylor

And while this board loves MSD and would move mountains for her, these underpin our perceived brand with respect to the only thing that matters (money & value added to a media contract):

-We're the smallest P5 (for whatever that classification is worth these days) school by enrollment.
-Our all-time football winning% is 123rd out of 131 FBS programs.

The B1G, SEC, Disney, and Fox are not clamoring for our services. I just hope we're not standing around with a bag of dicks when the dust settles on this round of realignment.

Alabama had the Wallace Wade connection.

they do play at Vandy.

That Alabama game at Duke was agreed to by David Shula. Nick Saban was not and is not interested in returning to Duke for an OOC game.

Whether the SEC wants Duke is a different question, of course.

And while this board loves MSD and would move mountains for her, these underpin our perceived brand with respect to the only thing that matters (money & value added to a media contract):

-We're the smallest P5 (for whatever that classification is worth these days) school by enrollment.
-Our all-time football winning% is 123rd out of 131 FBS programs.

The B1G, SEC, Disney, and Fox are not clamoring for our services. I just hope we're not standing around with a bag of dicks when the dust settles on this round of realignment.

I honestly think Mega Conference is going to have biggest effect on non-revenue sports as they are going to now have unprecedented cash for chartered planes, recruiting budgets, facilities for women’s volleyball, tennis, cross country, etc. those sports historically Wake has done very well in as it’s typically smart upper/middle class kids that are attracted to schools like Wake and parents can pay the full tuition. Now, those kids are going to be wined and dined just like football and men’s basketball. Even if we are left out of this round of Mega Conference, it doesn’t mean we’re left out forever - control what we can control, continue to invest in facilities, keep DC happy, and get creative with NIL. We already have a fraction of budgets as these Mega schools and are competitive and/or beat them on the field.

Back