• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

There is no money in it. We are better off keeping ACC intact.

Correct. I am coming around to standing pat. Risking the GOR is a huge no. The Big 12 adding these schools does nothing. It just makes the slices of the pie smaller.

These dreamers have signed up for losses. Ohio State knows this. Bunch of programs going 3 And 9 for fucking ever. Talking to you Maryland and Rutgers. If we can hold it together with a vision of the future of how people view football we will be fine. I'm looking past being too old to care, but there is more here than meets the present. We need seers now. Not the dumb fucks that inhabit the SEC.

If ACC can stay intact,we can survive. We need teams to get better. Like FSU and Miami. Put teams in the CFP. I see ESPN as the weakest player long term. Amazon and Apple are going to be in this arena. There are going to be new opportunities down the road if the conference can hold it together. Louisville, Duke, and UNC are top 4 in Basketball revenue. 3 more in the top 20. Louisville is number 1 in the country at 40 Million. One thing we know though. Big Whatever commissioner is a duplicitous liar.

Agree with this. FSU and Miami’s mediocre play the past 10 or so years has hurt the ACC. The media is dying to prop up Miami (like UNC), but it hasn’t given them much to work with

We might die but we didn't go down without a fight. More people watched Wake football than watched NC State last year. Yet they think they gonna survive this. In the end we could die, but by God we were at our best when it happened.

Some lawyers need to explain how adding more svhools automatically voids the GoR.

If the existing ACC schools vote to accept new members, why can't they simply sign the existing GoR? Or write a new one which includes additional members but doesn't supercede the existing one until everybody signs? Existing teams would be bound by the existing GoR agreement until the instant the last signature hits the new GoR.

Haven't read the GOR but this should be accurate. Any new additions to the league become bound by the terms of the agreement immediately on becoming members. Otherwise it's not a very well-conceived document.

Agree with this. FSU and Miami’s mediocre play the past 10 or so years has hurt the ACC. The media is dying to prop up Miami (like UNC), but it hasn’t given them much to work with

Right now Wake is better than both f$u and miami anyway.

If the ACC stands pat while the BIG and SEC expand their membership and brands, which in a few short recruiting cycles could erode the product, at some point does ESPN try to buy its way out of the deal before 2036?

Why would they do that? They still need content for the ACC Network.

Right now Wake is better than both f$u and miami anyway.

Agreed at the moment - but let’s be realistic - if either has good coaching - they’re likely going to surpass us which I’m OK with. Only way we can compete with them when they’re clicking is if we start getting better players- Top 20-30 recruiting class is best we can do for foreseeable future but that’s a huge step for us - Need to be able to recruit nationally to do that. Not enough good players in NC, SC, VA to do that and too much competition. Gotta go back to getting talent on defense from GA and FL that we are doing this cycle. Offense- yes- can find the next generation of under the radar guys like Roberson, Sage, and Dortch regionally and sprinkle in the occasionally blue chip guys that wanna study but we’re lacking the talent on defense. Offense- I have no doubt that Ruggs and Clawson will continue to be one step ahead in scheme to make it very hard for our opponents.

Why would they do that? They still need content for the ACC Network.

Agree, I think if anything ESPN should be doing whatever they can to strengthen the deal to avoid it blowing up. If Apple/Amazon, etc. have their way ESPN will essentially be priced out of college and pro football.

Agree, I think if anything ESPN should be doing whatever they can to strengthen the deal to avoid it blowing up. If Apple/Amazon, etc. have their way ESPN will essentially be priced out of college and pro football.

ESPN might as well be the SEC network at this point. If ACC has another network to go to ensure survival - Screw em.

ESPN might as well be the SEC network at this point. If ACC has another network to go to ensure survival - Screw em.

I agree with that.

I’m trying to figure out ESPN’s gameplan here. Consolidating into a college football Super League only makes sense if they’re trying to go much leaner by trimming the ACC Network, production staff, studio space, etc.

They still need more content to fill ABC, ESPN, 2, and the U along with SEC Network and ACC Network and streaming. Wouldn’t hurt to keep late night PAC-whatever games as well.

Are they going to bank on a 20-24 team SEC for their whole schedule? Are they aiming to treat the ACC like they treat G5 conferences now?

I think the only way to get ND to join the ACC is to offer them a payment equal to what the SEC or Big10 pay out to their members each year. This assumes they entertain joining a conference. It would guarantee ND the highest payment and a spot for the ACC at the college football bargaining table.

Last edited:
If this counts for anything, at the ACC meetings last month heard Brey say to Packer & Durham that ND may not be on board with such a mega conference membership.

Phillips, close the deal with ND as all-in the ACC! :thumbsup:

We don't need ND. Just stay the course. Stay together. It's the only answer. Then Lord yourself over the team's that succumbed to go 3 and 9 for the rest of football history. There will always be enough football players whose parents value an education. Clawson has proven that. I think Dabo and Clawson probably on the same page right now. Two outliers. The key for Phillips right now is to build steam against this and keep his teams together. I believe the people that run these schools will back that stance.

ACC needs to go full court press on the two supposed rulers of the fate of college football. Call it out. Quit being a bunch of pussies.

If this counts for anything, at the ACC meetings last month heard Brey say to Packer & Durham that ND may not be on board with such a mega conference membership.

Phillips, close the deal with ND as all-in the ACC! :thumbsup:

I can’t see ND joining the ACC now.

Back