• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I could see the ACC courting (at last!) West Virginia and UCF. The benefit to both is less travel expense and if I recall correctly the payout annually is about the same. I don't think we need 20 teams as long as the league has 3 or maybe 4 ultra-competitive teams. As to the B1G and SEC, adding teams will not change the league dynamic significantly. The same teams will always win.

I would love the "make a better product" approach. Just admit it's an impending disaster and find new ways to produce college sports events - basketball is such low-hanging fruit. Fix the ACC reffing problem and make the game fun to watch again. Move to quarters so a few fouls early in the 2nd half doesn't ruin the game down the stretch. Sign a crazy deal to add the ACC Network to a legit streaming platform like Prime/Apple/Google. Put everything in 4k like Duke/Carolina was, provide alternative streams for each team's local announcers. Let FanDuel sponsor the ACC Tournament and pay the players for postseason wins via NIL, whatever it takes. Hope that FSU/Miami/VaTech/Clemson keep the ACC in the picture for the CFP, and that teams like Wake being good simply make a better, more consistently exciting product than a bunch of mediocre programs relegated to a losing record year after year in a super conference designed to elevate 2 powerhouses.

“Better product” isn’t going to make up for decades of better branding and politicking by the SEC and Big Ten.

The big 10 has sucked for a loooong time.

What has the Big 10 sucked at exactly? They are far better than the ACC in football, have beat us regularly in the challenge, & have dominated us with their early creation of the Big 10 network.

Do you mean they suck in golf and field hockey? I guess they do suck at those things.

Right now Wake is better than both f$u and miami anyway.

What exactly is Wake better than FSU Miami in? Miami just whipped our ass another year in basketball and just made it further than we have in 25+ years. FSU has been to 3 of the last 5 sweet 16s and won 2 acc tournaments the last decade.

Wake Forest hasn't even advanced past the ACC quarters since our students have been alive.

What has the Big 10 sucked at exactly? They are far better than the ACC in football, have beat us regularly in the challenge, & have dominated us with their early creation of the Big 10 network.

Do you mean they suck in golf and field hockey? I guess they do suck at those things.

Based on what exactly is the Big 10 better than the ACC in football? They have just as many, if not more, completely awful programs.

I could see the ACC courting (at last!) West Virginia and UCF. The benefit to both is less travel expense and if I recall correctly the payout annually is about the same. I don't think we need 20 teams as long as the league has 3 or maybe 4 ultra-competitive teams. As to the B1G and SEC, adding teams will not change the league dynamic significantly. The same teams will always win.

This would make no sense. Those two schools add nothing to the conference.

Based on what exactly is the Big 10 better than the ACC in football? They have just as many, if not more, completely awful programs.

You are kidding, right? Our best two teams last year were Wake Forest and Pittsburgh.

The B1G has Wisconsin, Ohio St, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, and now USC.

Some lawyers need to explain how adding more svhools automatically voids the GoR.

If the existing ACC schools vote to accept new members, why can't they simply sign the existing GoR? Or write a new one which includes additional members but doesn't supercede the existing one until everybody signs? Existing teams would be bound by the existing GoR agreement until the instant the last signature hits the new GoR.

Haven't read the GOR but this should be accurate. Any new additions to the league become bound by the terms of the agreement immediately on becoming members. Otherwise it's not a very well-conceived document.

I would imagine that the GOR allows members to leave if there is a material change to the contract such that payouts decline on a per-member basis. An example of this would be the ACC overreacting and adding WV right now, which wouldn't increase rights fees by enough to offset the fact that we would then be giving rights to an additional member

You are kidding, right? Our best two teams last year were Wake Forest and Pittsburgh.

The B1G has Wisconsin, Ohio St, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, and now USC.
What's wrong with that. Are you saying because Wake and Pitt outperformed the others, the ACC sucks? Isn't that what Wake and Pitt should try to do. If Rutgers out performs Ohio State the whole conference sucks?. This is anti the beauty of sports.

I would imagine that the GOR allows members to leave if there is a material change to the contract such that payouts decline on a per-member basis. An example of this would be the ACC overreacting and adding WV right now, which wouldn't increase rights fees by enough to offset the fact that we would then be giving rights to an additional member

And I think you would be wrong. Grant of rights has no money guarantees with it. It promises schools almost nothing in exchange for the Grant of Rights. Read The Athletic analysis of the GoR.

This is the greatest marketing opportunity for the ACC in the history of college Atheletics.

I respect the passion of the WVU fan base and all but adding them preemptively is a desperation move and doesn’t get us much and might even backfire. WVU isn’t exactly a huge media market, it’s an extremely poor state, and we already have VT, Pitt, and LVille that cover much of the same Appalachia market. WVU should only be an invite after we reach UNC, UVA, Duke/State level defection- not even if Clemson leaves. UCF would be more attractive but only makes sense after FSU and/or Miami leave - not before. I think we sit it out for a bit but if writing is on the wall and we have to eat or be eaten, my top would be Stanford, Cal, Baylor, Kansas. Oregon and Washington are likely too ambitious as are the Zona schools. Stanford and Cal are much very good schools and might wanna in same conference as Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake, BC.

The ACC doesn't need to do anything. Stay the course. Fans across the country hate this shit. Be the one and talk about it.

And I think you would be wrong. Grant of rights has no money guarantees with it. It promises schools almost nothing in exchange for the Grant of Rights. Read The Athletic analysis of the GoR.

I've read the Athletic article and the GOR.

If Clemson agreed to a deal stating that no matter *what* happens, they can't leave the ACC until 2036 or the ACC retains their media rights from the new conference, and this deal is valid even if Clemson's ACC media rights dwindle to $0, then that is a historically awful deal for Clemson.

What exactly is Wake better than FSU Miami in? Miami just whipped our ass another year in basketball and just made it further than we have in 25+ years. FSU has been to 3 of the last 5 sweet 16s and won 2 acc tournaments the last decade.

Wake Forest hasn't even advanced past the ACC quarters since our students have been alive.

Of course this is your take. You’ve likely been jacking off while eating a Peter Luger steak since Friday.

I've read the Athletic article and the GOR.

If Clemson agreed to a deal stating that no matter *what* happens, they can't leave the ACC until 2036 or the ACC retains their media rights from the new conference, and this deal is valid even if Clemson's ACC media rights dwindle to $0, then that is a historically awful deal for Clemson.

Yet a GREAT deal for Conference integrity and continuity, from which Clemson benefits. The CFB gravy train may have limits. Damn shame if Fox can’t jack the B1G rights due to losing a multibillion dollar lawsuit about voting machines.

Football. Last year. It's not a reach.

Back