• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

The thing about the GOR that is interesting is that several people have indicated “if 8 or more teams leave then the conference dissolves”. The trend seems to be 2 programs pairing up and heading to a new conference, which seems a lot easier to coordinate than 8 programs all hitting the road at once which would be incredibly difficult to pull off.

I do not think the answer for the ACC is to stand pat and I am convinced Miami and another school are going to go all out to go to another conference this off-season.

The thing about the GOR that is interesting is that several people have indicated “if 8 or more teams leave then the conference dissolves”. The trend seems to be 2 programs pairing up and heading to a new conference, which seems a lot easier to coordinate than 8 programs all hitting the road at once which would be incredibly difficult to pull off.

I do not think the answer for the ACC is to stand pat and I am convinced Miami and another school are going to go all out to go to another conference this off-season.

They can go. However, the ACC will get whatever money they earn from media originating from their facilities for the next 14 years.

After seeing the GOR and the analysis in the Athletic article, I think it's far more likely the ACC adds teams than loses teams.

In fact, if the ACC stands pat, then it's an indication that teams are eyeing an exit in 2033-2035. But no team is going to give up its media money for a decade-plus at this point.

Last edited:
Best bet at this point seems to be - bring in a few solid team to enhance the product (do such teams exist? can we get ND? UCF?)
And consider a tiered payout to conference members. We can enhance what we offer the "big" name teams in the conference and potentially entice them to stay. Otherwise, I'm afraid the revenue difference between the equal shares in the ACC versus the SEC is just too great and teams will defect. I hate it that we will be a smaller payout team- but otherwise it looks like the big hitters of the conference defect anyway and we are left with a shell of a conference and small payout anyway. You can be sure that no matter how this all shakes out that Wake Forest will not be on the winning side of things.

Tiered payouts never work in the long run.

Add some teams, make sure the ACC is one of four left at a point in time, try to keep some geographical reference ----WVU?, UCF? Cin?. Don't hold your breath on ND. Play politics... Does FSU add something Florida does not? Does Clemson add a market that SC does not? Don't let UVA go without VT, Don't let UNC go without NCST. Tax the media rights unless they go to the general fund. Just generally gum things up. See what happens in 5-10 years with new payers -- Apple? Google? Cbs/TBS?

I just don't know what schools, other than ND, the ACC could bring in that would add any value.

The argument about TV markets seems to dumb to me when the biggest brand in the sport is in Alabama and one of the top 5ish brands gets you, what the Greenville-Spartanburg market?

TV markets do not matter anymore!!! This was important a decade ago when Big 10 Network, etc. were not carried by everyone. Now they are.

It logical to assume that the SEC, BIG, ESPN and Fox wouldn't mind if the ACC were to dissolve. How many school votes would it take to do so?

None of it really matters because the powers that be can make any school “hot” by promoting it, putting them on prime time etc… Additionally, a lot of these schools that are supposed power houses are still just coasting off an image that existed like 30 years ago, it’s fucking stupid.

None of it really matters because the powers that be can make any school “hot” by promoting it, putting them on prime time etc… Additionally, a lot of these schools that are supposed power houses are still just coasting off an image that existed like 30 years ago, it’s fucking stupid.

probably because main audience for college sports is dudes in their 30s to 50s

probably because main audience for college sports is dudes in their 30s to 50s

I’d bump that to dudes in their 40s to 60s and add that’s also the demographic of most college presidents and TV execs.

TV markets do not matter anymore!!! This was important a decade ago when Big 10 Network, etc. were not carried by everyone. Now they are.

The most recent move suggests otherwise. I think that certain markets don't matter as much anymore, but expanding to the West Coast population inherently brings a ton more viewers to certain conferences.

chip-vaughn-of-wake-forest-celebrates-the-fact-that-the-demon-deacons-picture-id77343539

BTN charges a lot more per subscriber when they have a school in the market. In LA, the charge went from $0.10 to $1.50 per subscriber per month. Cable may be "dying" but when a market has 5 million subscribers that's an increase from $6M per year to $80M per year.

Everyone is waiting for Notre Dame to make its decision, but Notre Dame can afford to wait

In numbers that resonate with TV executives, Notre Dame ranks eighth in the number of non-bowl/playoff games watched in recent seasons by at least three million people, per Sports Media Watch. The Irish had a total of 16 games with three million or more viewers in 2018, ’19 and ’21 (tossing 2020 numbers due to the disparity in number of games played across the nation). That ranks behind only Alabama (26), Ohio State (25), Georgia (22), Michigan (22), Oklahoma (22), Penn State (19) and LSU (18). It’s worth noting that every school ahead of Notre Dame on the list is a current or future member of the Big Ten or SEC. And the next four after the Irish are, as well (Auburn, Wisconsin, Florida and Texas A&M).

Notre Dame has, forever, been able to have everything it wanted: academic prestige, football success, enough money to fund more than 20 competitive varsity sports—and the cherished autonomy of FBS independence. It won’t give up any of that willingly, even in a college sports world rocked by turbulence. The guess here is the school maintains its independence as long as it can, through July 4, 2023, and beyond.

The most recent move suggests otherwise. I think that certain markets don't matter as much anymore, but expanding to the West Coast population inherently brings a ton more viewers to certain conferences.

Oil companies are still drilling for oil but we all know the end is near. People eeking all the money they can out of a dying system doesn't mean it's not dying.

When it all comes burning down later this week, do we even get an invite to the big 12?

Back