• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Makes sense.

If Houston doesn't have a shot at the big 12, Herman to the horns by the end of the week

It seems to me that one of the conferences should avoid all the numerical and geographical restrictions and go with the grandiose "The Conference"

That's basically what the AAC did although they'd be screwed if they picked up University of Toronto.

Out of 11 supposed candidates, they can't reach a consensus. Amazing!

The Big
il_fullxfull.463059065_gxz4.jpg
Conference

I like that one. Or "The Google Conference" think about the potential sponsorship money!

That's good.

That's a great question. If they go to expand again, are schools going to be skeptical of putting in the work to be considered? I doubt it keeps anyone from applying, but it is not a good look for the conference. They basically just said that no school with any real value wants to be in their conference.

They were expecting to exploit that pro rata clause in their contract for a money grab and were surprised by just how much pushback ESPN and Fox gave them. Fox basically threatened to break the conference up when the tv deal came up for renewal.

My question: If they didn't like any of the applicants, who did they think they were going to add? This looks like confusion and nonsense on their part.

Part of the problem was how outrageously large the field of candidates was - if it was one or two schools that had been rejected you could point at a couple of issues that the conference was looking for that weren't address, but by outright rejecting such a large field it sends a confusing message.

They were expecting to exploit that pro rata clause in their contract for a money grab and were surprised by just how much pushback ESPN and Fox gave them. Fox basically threatened to break the conference up when the tv deal came up for renewal.

It's hard to believe that many media members thought that the ACC would be odd man out/weakest member of the expansion fiasco. Thanks Big XII!

Part of the problem was how outrageously large the field of candidates was - if it was one or two schools that had been rejected you could point at a couple of issues that the conference was looking for that weren't address, but by outright rejecting such a large field it sends a confusing message.

Agreed. Especially since they didn't explain exactly what the problem with those schools is. On the field at least, Houston, USF, Navy, and Memphis are doing well.

Back