• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

This would be epic, but will never happen.

The last thing the SEC and Big Ten want is to have to prove their “dominance” on the field instead of on the Walmart rack, AP ballots, or corporate boardrooms.

College ADs and conference presidents may be in the process of killing the golden goose. With passive aid from the NCAA

Yeah. I’m not sure the SEC and Big Ten gain fans or viewers from this but the rest of college football definitely loses them.

One reason fans watch those games is because of how they impact their team. Are Oregon fans going to watch A&M vs. Missouri if an upset doesn’t help them in the rankings? Or are they going to watch games in their tier like UNC vs. Virginia?

I’m not sure ESPN will pay more for a product they’re placing in a second-tier.

IMO I think it is unlikely the 2 conferences will go over 40 schools combined. Could even be less. They will probably form their own championship in a few years after the CFP expires. I then expect the remaining members of the other P5 conferences to form their own championships. I think of it like HS athletics. There will probably be different classifications AAA, AA, A. AAA is the Big 2. AA is the P5 schools and maybe a handful of G5 schools. A is the rest of the FBS (mostly G5). All three tiers have their own structure, their own playoffs, their own contracts, their own rules.

If the Big10 and SEC break away and form their own championship, do you think they'll only play each other in the regular season? If not, that would be a really odd set-up. Imagine a team (say Clemson) going undefeated and beating a few SEC teams, but then not being in the championship.

The last thing the SEC and Big Ten want is to have to prove their “dominance” on the field instead of on the Walmart rack, AP ballots, or corporate boardrooms.

The SEC has won 12 of the last 16 college football championships.

The SEC has won 12 of the last 16 college football championships.

An SEC team. Not the whole SEC. An Alabama championship doesn’t mean Miss State is a tier above the rest of college football.

The Big Ten doesn’t even have a team winning championships.

Rafi, it’s unclear if the SEC will keep their rivalry games with the ACC.

Last edited:
An SEC team. Not the whole SEC. An Alabama championship doesn’t mean Miss State is a tier above the rest of college football.

Yep. If we are going to play that game, the ACC has won the 2nd most of that same span: 3

Big 10 has 1

Pac 12 has 0

Big 12 has 0

But sending your best to compete in a championship is obviously on the field.

But sending your best to compete in a championship is obviously on the field.

I know you have a standard response about SEC dominance. Surely you can understand why talking about SEC CFP Champs is a stupid irrelevant response to a statement about why the SEC wouldn't want a relegation system that would threaten pretty much every team except Alabama and Georgia. I know you're basically an SEC bot nowadays, but you should read before you comment.

If the end result is a 2 conference division that only schedules amongst its members, this will get really screwy with the transfer portal. With few exceptions, why would any of those teams want to recruit high schoolers when they can just treat the rest of the college football landscape as developmental leagues and recruit the top rising juniors who want to showcase for the NFL? Under this scenario, talent development will be even more important for the teams on the outside. Instead of the pitch to the high schooler being we can get you to the NFL, it will be we can get you to the SEC in two years. What a farse.

If the end result is a 2 conference division that only schedules amongst its members, this will get really screwy with the transfer portal. With few exceptions, why would any of those teams want to recruit high schoolers when they can just treat the rest of the college football landscape as developmental leagues and recruit the top rising juniors who want to showcase for the NFL? Under this scenario, talent development will be even more important for the teams on the outside. Instead of the pitch to the high schooler being we can get you to the NFL, it will be we can get you to the SEC in two years. What a farse.

why wouldn't the NFL scout and draft from the other conferences?

Having good coaches who form a relationship with players and develop them as players and people will still matter. And some players are going to value that.

Prospects already choose ACC, Big XII, and Pac-12 schools over SEC and Big Ten schools. I haven't seen anything so far that tells me that will stop.

So if there is a consolidation into an SEC/Big Ten Super League, does that build pressure on the ACC/Pac-12/Big XII to do the same and shut out the G5?

For example, Wake has home-homes against Ole Miss (2024, 2025) and Purdue (2026, 2028). Ole Miss and Purdue buy out of those games, should Wake buy ouf of series with ECU, Army, NIU, etc and just schedule Big XII and Pac-12 opponents?

Why wait until they are rising juniors? If those 2 conferences are separate what would keep them
from plucking players midseason?

There's no debate that Alabama and Georgia are two of the top programs in college football.

There is a debate whether the entire SEC deserves to be a tier above the ACC like the P5 is above the G5.

Interesting. So during the 2021 football season Wake averaged 526K viewers per game to rank 56 out of 110 schools.

Duke averaged 64K viewers per game and were ranked 97.

Yes, but people keep talking about Duke having a "brand" as if that is worth a hill of beans.

Are we really debating whether the SEC is, by a wide margin, the best football conference?

It is the best conference, but I don't think the margin is as big as people make it out to be. Each conference has a dominant team (Alabama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma) but the only difference is some years the SEC has 1 or 2 other teams that are also on that level or at least close. After that, the conferences are just a bunch of interchangeable parts. People (ESPN) act like the entire conference is a bunch of NFL teams and Vanderbilt. It is really just Alabama and any given year, a rotation of UGA, Florida or LSU.

Chris Long talking about Virginia, Carolina, Clemson, and Florida State in talks to join SEC

Edit: referencing a post from another source

Back