• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

It would.

I agree. Right now ESPN owns the VA, NC, GA and FL markets. Letting the ACC breakup allows the B1G and Fox to get one of the VA schools, one of the NC schools, GT and probably a FL school. Not only should ESPN not want that, the SEC shouldn’t either. 4 states that are top 15 in population and the best and 4th best states for recruiting with both NC and VA being around 10th best.

What I'd like to know is whether the SEC or the B1G can boot schools out. Like no one gives a crap about Vandy or Rutgers or Northwestern. They're a zero add from the standpoint of negotiating TV deals.

Also where the hell do Wake and BC land if the ACC implodes when all the dust settles.

Welcome to last week, DeacMan.

UNC, Clemson, FSU, UVA to the SEC.....but Miami is left out? Thats where he lost me.

Also, how much fun would it be to be in-house counsel at ESPN, Fox or some of these conferences the next couple weeks. This like a transactional attorneys dream. People finally caring about what the contracts say.

This "proposed" move doesn't make much sense for the SEC. The ACC has sports that the SEC doesn't but more importantly, this does almost nothing for their FOOTPRINT. Retreading Fl and SC is nonsensical and they have a large following in NC already. So they pick up some viewers in VA but not the ones they would want to target like the DC/Va viewers.

What I'd like to know is whether the SEC or the B1G can boot schools out. Like no one gives a crap about Vandy or Rutgers or Northwestern. They're a zero add from the standpoint of negotiating TV deals.

Also where the hell do Wake and BC land if the ACC implodes when all the dust settles.

Need to read the analysis of the ACC Grant of Rights document that The Athletic had an attorney do recently. His conclusion is that it would be incredibly expensive and damaging if any school tried to leave before the GoR expires.

Yep. Just don't see any ACC teams leaving for the sec or big20 at this time.

Oh, and :fu: sec and big20.

This "proposed" move doesn't make much sense for the SEC. The ACC has sports that the SEC doesn't but more importantly, this does almost nothing for their FOOTPRINT. Retreading Fl and SC is nonsensical and they have a large following in NC already. So they pick up some viewers in VA but not the ones they would want to target like the DC/Va viewers.

This round of expansion isn’t about footprint. It’s about brands, ratings, and ad dollars.

Last edited:
I agree with PhDeac. Before the Texas/OU moves, conference expansion was guided by the conferences motivated by their strategies to grow in-house media platforms, and grow “logical” geographic footprints. The conferences have all sold out their in-house media properties so the current expansion isn’t being orchestrated by the conferences and their leadership. The current round is being orchestrated by the two big sports media companies who are playing multiple hands at this card game.

I agree. Right now ESPN owns the VA, NC, GA and FL markets. Letting the ACC breakup allows the B1G and Fox to get one of the VA schools, one of the NC schools, GT and probably a FL school. Not only should ESPN not want that, the SEC shouldn’t either. 4 states that are top 15 in population and the best and 4th best states for recruiting with both NC and VA being around 10th best.

If these markets are so important to ESPN, then why can't the ACC parlay that importance into a renegotiated media contract that would quite possibly make all the current members happy enough to stay and perhaps entice a couple of non-ACC teams to join?

The pace of change in how any individual views sports is changing at a pace never seen before. If The ACC can stay together the opportunities from Apple and Amazon TV will be remarkable over ten years. I see ESPN as the weakest link. These companies could destroy ESPN if they want to. One has to believe this is being explored by all. Timing is everything. If Fox and ESPN sign long term contracts today with these two mega merged conferences, I say one or both companies are gone in 10 years. Could be we are fucked in the future either way, but it's not going to stay the same. ESPN lost 10% of their subscribers last year.

ESPN is definitely wanting to keep certain ACC brands from joining the Big Ten to keep them out of FOX's hands, but ESPN also doesn't want to see the ACC get out of their GOR and suddenly be able to strike a deal with CBS, NBC, or streaming services like Apple and Amazon. It would be better for ESPN to pay more to pluck a few teams from the ACC than it would be for the ACC to add a handful of teams from the Pac-12 or Big XII and suddenly be able to negotiate a new deal with somebody who currently doesn't have a strong college football presence.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34208550/answering-latest-college-football-realignment-questions

"Here's the question that ACC commissioner Jim Phillips must answer through the context of this potential move. The ACC already has a large amount of low-wattage inventory in football schools like Syracuse, Boston College and Duke. Why take on the Pac-12's have-nots, too?"

Let's GOOOOOO

Pleased and somewhat surprised he didn't include Wake is his low-wattage group, even though that would have been totally inaccurate. While Wake football for the most part operates under the national radar, it seems that every time a broadcast crew comes to our stadium who either has never been or not in some years, they spend a good amount of time gushing over the facilities, gameday atmosphere and overall program strength. Regardless of where we end up, I think Wake will continue to excel at putting out a product that will appeal to those of us who follow it, particularly in-person attendance.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/34208550/answering-latest-college-football-realignment-questions

"Here's the question that ACC commissioner Jim Phillips must answer through the context of this potential move. The ACC already has a large amount of low-wattage inventory in football schools like Syracuse, Boston College and Duke. Why take on the Pac-12's have-nots, too?"

Let's GOOOOOO

The ACC should offer Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Colorado, and Cal.

Pleased and somewhat surprised he didn't include Wake is his low-wattage group, even though that would have been totally inaccurate. While Wake football for the most part operates under the national radar, it seems that every time a broadcast crew comes to our stadium who either has never been or not in some years, they spend a good amount of time gushing over the facilities, gameday atmosphere and overall program strength. Regardless of where we end up, I think Wake will continue to excel at putting out a product that will appeal to those of us who follow it, particularly in-person attendance.

Excellent point. Yet another reason why it would be absolutely huge to get Gameday for the Clemson game.

Prospects already choose ACC, Big XII, and Pac-12 schools over SEC and Big Ten schools. I haven't seen anything so far that tells me that will stop.

So if there is a consolidation into an SEC/Big Ten Super League, does that build pressure on the ACC/Pac-12/Big XII to do the same and shut out the G5?

For example, Wake has home-homes against Ole Miss (2024, 2025) and Purdue (2026, 2028). Ole Miss and Purdue buy out of those games, should Wake buy ouf of series with ECU, Army, NIU, etc and just schedule Big XII and Pac-12 opponents?

I think there would be value in maintaining an "open" division. We would want fans of those other schools to be interested in ACC/Pac-12/Big XII because they are common opponents. That would increase viewership and interest for the 3 conferences.

Currie: "I’m not worried about Wake Forest at all. Going back to 1953 and all those times Wake was going to get squeezed out. Now here we are in 2022 with the best football program in the state coming off 11 wins last year and we have unbelievable facilities. We have as good of on-campus facilities as anybody in the country.”

That's exactly what Currie needed to say. I'm sure he's working like crazy for that to be a reality. Did he make any more comments? Link?

Back