• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

If they want a Super League that dominates the college football landscape, they'll need 20+ teams. I don't think the SEC and Big Ten is aiming for the four 16 team conference solution.

I actually don't expect alot more movement, simply because there are few assets worth purchasing.

There was an article today where a B10 AD is quoted as saying that Washington and Oregon, while having some value, are not worth a full share of the new B10 contract. So at least for now it appears like neither is likely to get a B10 invite in the immediate future. If those 2 schools are not seen as adding enough value how many schools are, I expect it may be enough to count on one hand.

Fans of every school are clamoring to get into the Big 2, but realistically there may not be more than another 2-4 that ultimately get invites. Those conferences are only going to extend an invitation if they think it is additive to their contract.
Fans keep thinking how big the SEC and B10 will become, when they may need to think more in terms of how small they may remain. There is no guarantee they even go to 20 teams. Maybe they stay at 16, maybe they go to 18. There is no guarantee they have an appetite for a 20+ league conference and right now it feels like it will be less than that.

The one truly valuable brand out there is ND. I don't think B10 will do anything else until they know what ND is going to do. If they truly want ND then I could see them taking Stanford as well as that would then bring the 5 biggest rivals for ND into the same conference. Their FB program is not part of the ACC's GoR, though their other sports are, so they are the one school that could relatively easily make the change an have limited repurcussions.

I agree with most of this, but Clemson is also a truly valuable brand (along with ND). Also, although ND football isn’t in the GOR, they have a contract stating that if they join a conference it has to be the ACC. So there would likely be a very large exit fee for football plus the GOR for all other sports.

Lot of chatter tonight about the B12 picking up several of the Pac12 schools. I trust the people in Greensboro are putting in some extra hours. Would much rather see the ACC being proactive rather than passive, but what do you do when you can't trust your own members to be straight with you about their intentions? I don't envy the decision-makers at a time like this.

Why would any school join the ACC and sign a GOR for the next 14 years, knowing the most attractive schools in the ACC are all trying to figure out how to leave?

Why would any school join the ACC and sign a GOR for the next 14 years, knowing the most attractive schools in the ACC are all trying to figure out how to leave?

I agree with that but it’s not schools wanting to join the ACC- it’s just good to have less consolidation and have Big 12 merge with an Oregon for instance. Oregon has to be part of the Mega Conference at some point so then moving to another spot gives ACC stay of execution for atleast another 5 years

Stability for 14 years, even with lower payout, may be preferable to uncertainty that there will be any payout and/or teams to play.

ACC gonna be left holding the bomb when it goes off.

If the ACC GOR is effective and legally binding, I doubt the ACC adds any universities. Rewriting an agreement to include include new members might present an opportunity for present members to leave.

Adding members the SEC and B1G don't want won't make the ACC more attractive. Beating SEC and B1G at every opportunity over the next two years would make the strongest statement.

If the ACC GOR is effective and legally binding, I doubt the ACC adds any universities. Rewriting an agreement to include include new members might present an opportunity for present members to leave.

Adding members the SEC and B1G don't want won't make the ACC more attractive. Beating SEC and B1G at every opportunity over the next two years would make the strongest statement.

I agree with both parts of what you said - especially the first part- any new member would void the contract and open red seas at exit doors

I agree with both parts of what you said - especially the first part- any new member would void the contract and open red seas at exit doors

Discussions along those lines might provide insight on which schools want to leave.

If you’re talking the Gilded Age and Plantation economics before that, then we agree, but I’m not sure that’s a type of society we should strive to be. But maybe you disagree.

Post Great Depression American society prioritized and worshipped the mega wealthy far less than we do today.

In Reaganomics the Wake Forests of the world always lose in the end, so here we are.

Not just a history book. Read how Alexis de Tocqueville described the Americans he observed.

If ACC can stay intact,we can survive. We need teams to get better. Like FSU and Miami. Put teams in the CFP. I see ESPN as the weakest player long term. Amazon and Apple are going to be in this arena. There are going to be new opportunities down the road if the conference can hold it together. Louisville, Duke, and UNC are top 4 in Basketball revenue. 3 more in the top 20. Louisville is number 1 in the country at 40 Million. One thing we know though. Big Whatever commissioner is a duplicitous liar.

If ACC can stay intact,we can survive. We need teams to get better. Like FSU and Miami. Put teams in the CFP. I see ESPN as the weakest player long term. Amazon and Apple are going to be in this arena. There are going to be new opportunities down the road if the conference can hold it together. Louisville, Duke, and UNC are top 4 in Basketball revenue. 3 more in the top 20. Louisville is number 1 in the country at 40 Million. One thing we know though. Big Whatever commissioner is a duplicitous liar.

If the ACC stands pat while the BIG and SEC expand their membership and brands, which in a few short recruiting cycles could erode the product, at some point does ESPN try to buy its way out of the deal before 2036?

Some lawyers need to explain how adding more svhools automatically voids the GoR.

If the existing ACC schools vote to accept new members, why can't they simply sign the existing GoR? Or write a new one which includes additional members but doesn't supercede the existing one until everybody signs? Existing teams would be bound by the existing GoR agreement until the instant the last signature hits the new GoR.

Is that right? That is astonishing. Like unbelievable. More than UK?

If we go run table in 2022 and get to CFP- I’m fine with being 3-9 for next 10 years

Is that right? That is astonishing. Like unbelievable. More than UK?

I’m not surprised it’s more than UNC- contrary to how you feel as a WF fan- UNC isn’t that big of a school relatively speaking for state schools

If the goal is to get a more profitable media deal from Apple or Amazon - which it certainly should be- as means of keeping conference in tact, we should definitely lure Stanford and Cal given their ties to Silicon Valley. Agreed that ESPN/FOX is dated now.

ACC gonna be left holding the bomb when it goes off.

Per Arizona's 247 site the PAC's four corners schools are meeting with the Big 12 tomorrow.

Back