• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

according to that article, Cal would be on the outside looking in along with Stanford, Wazzou, Oregon State (Stanford hoping ND throws them the ultimate lifeline by partnering to enter the B1G)

Hell Freezes over before LOWF, BC, and Cuse in a big boy conference over Stanford. Duke maybe bears them but Stanford’s football has been much stronger last 20 years

So like, an Alliance?

Hopefully they workshop the name a bit.

"Alliance?"
"Nah, that didn't work out."
"Confederacy?"
"Some of our fans will like it but no."
"Union?"
"Not that either."
"Coalition?"
"Nah, some people still remember that."
"Federation?"
"The Fed? Nope."
"Yeah, we should just give up."

You also never know how this stuff will change. Clemson would’ve been in the same boat with NC State and Washington State, etc. a decade ago. Programs can become “valuable” quite quickly.

Hell Freezes over before LOWF, BC, and Cuse in a big boy conference over Stanford. Duke maybe bears them but Stanford’s football has been much stronger last 20 years

WF would be left out, of course, as soon as the ACC collapses. Agree it seems odd that Big XII is talking with 6 Pac schools and not Stanford

They may still be. For all their success, how many Clemson fans are there?

Alabama and South Carolina have similar populations, but it seems like there are far fewer Clemson fans than Alabama fans.

A merger of sorts between the remaining PAC-12 schools with the ACC appears to be likely: https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/20...s-to-save-itself-and-stick-it-to-the-big-ten/

"A source with knowledge of their conversations told me the Pac-12 leaders are now considering a “loose partnership” with another conference."

Whoever planted that little nugget with whatever unsuspecting, link-baiting media entity reported it is either a master satirist ("loose partnership" sounds like Team America-level satire) or an agent of the Big 12. If you are looking for a way to guarantee (a) immediately, that nothing truly beneficial for either conference is accomplished, and (b) shortly, the demise of one or both (likely just one; this is probably designed to prevent the ACC from poaching Pac 12 teams before the Big 12 decides who it wants), this is a perfect way to do it.

as soon as the ACC collapses.

Why are you assuming the ACC “collapses”? If a few of the higher profile teams leave the ACC we are just going to replace them with lower profile teams - WVU, UCF, Navy, etc, and the next television deal will have a much smaller payout.

So if the ACC poaches, absorbs, allies with some Pac-12 teams as they’re negotiating their next media rights package, what does that mean for the ACC media deal through 2036?

Let’s say some Stanford grads in Silicon Valley get involved and put together a competitive deal to hold the league together with a big money deal on Amazon or Apple or YouTube. Could the ACC benefit from that at all?

Call me a homer or eternal optimist, but I think somehow the ACC gets Notre Dame to join in all sports. ND loves playing games in the growing, recruit rich south and I don't see them wanting to be second fiddle or on even standing with THE Ohio State, Michigan, USC ect. The ACC will have to give them a sweetheart deal and probably guarantee a certain higher payout, but I just have this feeling Phillips gets it done.

I've stated this earlier based on Brey's statements to the ACCN.... we shall see. :eek:hnoes:

Why are you assuming the ACC “collapses”? If a few of the higher profile teams leave the ACC we are just going to replace them with lower profile teams - WVU, UCF, Navy, etc, and the next television deal will have a much smaller payout.

Sure

Seems kinda similar to how a collapse would feel

Sure

This might as well be the AAC if those are conference mates. How is a lineup of BC, Cuse, WF, GT, UCF, Navy and WVU any different than Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, ECU, USF, Wichita State? It’s not. I would argue the 4 departing AAC schools are more valuable in an every man for himself world - Houston, Cincy, and UCF (and BYU for that matter) than LOWF. All we have going for us against those other schools is being in the ACC- heck SMU and Tulane might be better draws. Louisiana and DFW vs. W-S as a market?

Sure

Yeah really. It's like saying, "Why are you assuming my marriage 'collapses'? If my wife leaves me, I'll just replace her with some lower profile hoodrats."

Yeah really. It's like saying, "Why are you assuming my marriage 'collapses'? If my wife leaves me, I'll just replace her with some lower profile hoodrats."

Meh, as it relates to Wake Football I’m just not worried about conference realignment. We have a 35k seat stadium that is hardly ever more than 3/4 full. We almost never get prime time television placement, in our best most successful era we’ve ended the season ranked like 3 times in 20 years, and recruiting class rankings are consistently in the 50s-60s. The main concern I have is for our secondary sports to lose funding.

The literal only reason I care about sharing a conference with Clemson and FSU is the money that they bring in, that’s it.

The literal only reason I care about sharing a conference with Clemson and FSU is the money that they bring in, that’s it.

That and I love being in the same conference with them to have David & Goliath on the field and beat them. Also, Clemson is a good school and good folks for the most part. They are a charter ACC member, and their success has largely saved ACC football last decade. FSU- growing up they were invincible and as people mentioned, for about 10 years- you could count on a hand how many conference games they had ever lost. I know they have had some bad coaches but it’s so much fun seeing LOWF beat them. I could care less about Miami- let them go

That and I love being in the same conference with them to have David & Goliath on the field and beat them. Also, Clemson is a good school and good folks for the most part. They are a charter ACC member, and their success has largely saved ACC football last decade. FSU- growing up they were invincible and as people mentioned, for about 10 years- you could count on a hand how many conference games they had ever lost. I know they have had some bad coaches but it’s so much fun seeing LOWF beat them. I could care less about Miami- let them go

:sketch:

Back