• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I just don’t get that opinion. Wake’s combined record vs those two teams is atrocious and if I had the choice to never waste another minute of my life watching us get railed in those games I would take it.

I just don’t get that opinion. Wake’s combined record vs those two teams is atrocious and if I had the choice to never waste another minute of my life watching us get railed in those games I would take it.

I’m not saying it’s a fun game usually for LOWF but I love the challenge of sneaking up on them once in a while. It makes us rise to the occasion. I think we’re fortunate because we have a good mix of schools over three tiers - 1. FSU, Clemson, Miami, 2. UNC, State, VT, UVA, Pitt and 3. GT, Duke, LVille, Cuse, BC. We have to play perfect to beat that 1’s, very good to beat the 2’s, and match up pretty even with the 3’s. I would much rather have the majority of opponents “better” than us on paper because we are over achieving in a good year. Wouldn’t you rather have this than the AAC 2.0? On the other end of the spectrum - it would be tough to really care if we were a Vandy and we all 1 and 2 opponents - mostly 1’s.

Because it's like a death penalty to their football program for at least six years. They almost have to do something or accept playing in what amounts to a G5 league in a few years. Which is why something's going to get worked out before 12 years from now. The ACC's "big" teams have enough pull that they can either fix the ACC or flush the thing down the toilet for their own benefit. They will find a way.

Ha... I mean if it was that easy, Miami, FSU, and VT would all be better at football than they are right now, and the ACC would be in a much better position than it is in now (still not great mind you).

IMO, only Clemson gets to bitch about the ACC. The rest, look in the damn mirror buddy.

Biff’s team finally wins the championship and he’s all like big teams just need to try harder.

Everybody who doesn't win the championship needs to try harder.

So if the ACC poaches, absorbs, allies with some Pac-12 teams as they’re negotiating their next media rights package, what does that mean for the ACC media deal through 2036?

Let’s say some Stanford grads in Silicon Valley get involved and put together a competitive deal to hold the league together with a big money deal on Amazon or Apple or YouTube. Could the ACC benefit from that at all?

I think ESPN holds the ACC streaming rights, so not sure how that would work. Is the current ESPN deal through 2036?

May have been posted already, but the below is excerpted from a recent article in The Athletic. And even if you want to ignore and/or separate the athletic dept. scandal from the overall academic profile of the university (and if you are o.k. with that, what does their "sterling academic reputation" have to do with being an attractive member for another conference?), there have been numerous dings to the UNC academic "brand" in recent years outside of the athletic part.

Don’t underestimate the power of the Tar Heels in all of this. While things have been relatively quiet in ACC country since the UCLA and USC news last week, UNC remains the biggest prize not named Notre Dame. It is a national brand — what other school has a shade of blue named after it? — with a sterling academic reputation. And it is the flagship school of the nation’s 10th-biggest state in terms of population — one that happens to be the biggest remaining state that is not currently in the Big Ten or SEC footprint.

I said several pages back that the future of the conference is basically at the mercy of UNC-CH.

We just need Clemson to win a national championship. If we get 10 years ESPN will be gone. Lost 10 percent of their viewrship just last year. The pace of discovery in how we view TV is at warp speed right now. We will laugh at them in ten years. Most of these teams have signed up for losses. Someone has to take them. All they have done is is promote the killing of fan bases. All I see is 10 Vanderbilts. Just keep fighting and winning.

May have been posted already, but the below is excerpted from a recent article in The Athletic. And even if you want to ignore and/or separate the athletic dept. scandal from the overall academic profile of the university (and if you are o.k. with that, what does their "sterling academic reputation" have to do with being an attractive member for another conference?), there have been numerous dings to the UNC academic "brand" in recent years outside of the athletic part.

Don’t underestimate the power of the Tar Heels in all of this. While things have been relatively quiet in ACC country since the UCLA and USC news last week, UNC remains the biggest prize not named Notre Dame. It is a national brand — what other school has a shade of blue named after it? — with a sterling academic reputation. And it is the flagship school of the nation’s 10th-biggest state in terms of population — one that happens to be the biggest remaining state that is not currently in the Big Ten or SEC footprint.

I mean comparing UNC academics to every school in the SEC not named Vanderbilt, UNC does have sterling academics.

That probably means absolutely nothing to the organizers of these mega-conferences, but for some reason people pretend to care about comparing the academics of schools affiliated with each other solely for athletics. People here do it all the time talking about Louisville in the ACC for example.

The guy on the UNC end dealing with this stuff is probably Clayton Somers, who is shady af, so don't be surprised if he pulls some shady self/UNC-serving shit.

Last edited:
I mean comparing UNC academics to every school in the SEC not named Vanderbilt, UNC does have sterling academics.

That probably means absolutely nothing to the organizers of these mega-conferences, but for some reason people pretend to care about comparing the academics of schools affiliated with each other solely for athletics. People here do it all the time talking about Louisville in the ACC for example.

UF is tied at 28 with Wake and UNC in the USNWR ranking. UGA is in the Top 50.

When conferences first came into existence, they were about more than athletics. Academics played a significant role. That is why membership in AAU has been important to the B1+G Poaching Conference. That is why the University of Chicago is still a member even though they don't play FBS football.

Screw that USNWR ranking. :mad:

Work Forest should be TOP 20 at the very least.

With the new, redesigned USN&WR college ranking algorithm weighing student debt after graduation heavily, the public schools will be rising in the ranks while the private will be sinking.

Back