• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA moving 2017 ASG out of CLT

how many trannys even live in north carolina? 6?

Well, an estimated 0.3 percent of the US population identifies as transgender. NC has roughly 10 million people. So by that calculation, more than six.

The uproar has little to do with the "bathrooms" part of the law and nearly everything to do with the far more insidious removal of protections for LGBTQ individuals, and the ability to dispute claims in court.

The legislature has removed the court restrictions from the bill.

The uproar has little to do with the "bathrooms" part of the law and nearly everything to do with the far more insidious removal of protections for LGBTQ individuals, and the ability to dispute claims in court.

I don't think uproar is the word you're looking for since the vast majority of people only mention the bathroom part of the bill

i'm just waiting for 2&2's take.

My take hasn't changed, this entire fiasco is just complete stupidity by everyone involved. The Charlotte City Council acted way outside their normal sphere of activity (which is primarily just granting/denying zoning variances) to enact an ordinance to address a "problem" that had absolutely, positively zero factual necessity in a blatant attempt to say "hey, look at us! we're so PC progressive!" The NC Legislature then doubled down on stupid by going completely overboard in the opposite direction and made themselves look even more ridiculous via their asinine attempts to rationalize their position. Now the NBA has tripled down on stupid by moving an extremely large event that their greatest ambassador and the overall face of their sport spent large amounts of capital to acquire, over the blocking of an ordinance that all but of a handful of other cities don't have either. So from now on are they only going to play games in cities that have enacted ordinances like the CLT ordinance? That would leave them with like 6 teams. And it sets a precedent that they need to avoid places with problematic/discriminatory laws in general ... so are they going to do a full review of all applicable city and state laws of every place they play games?

So it has come full circle to the CLT Council, who loses their economic boon because of their own egos. So in some sense they got what they deserved. I, however, am pissed because I was looking forward to the events themselves. So this just reinforces my position that 95% of all politicians are complete fucking morons.

This quote makes no sense to me:

While the All-Star Game will be moved, the league said in its statement that the Hornets operating in Charlotte is not a problem.

"It is also important to stress that the City of Charlotte and the Hornets organization have sought to provide an inclusive environment and that the Hornets will continue to ensure that all patrons -- including members of the LGBT community -- feel welcome while attending games and events in their arena," the NBA said.

So if the Hornets organization can do it for the other 41 games, why wouldn't it be able to for the ASG? It's not even trying to draw a distinction.

This quote makes no sense to me:

While the All-Star Game will be moved, the league said in its statement that the Hornets operating in Charlotte is not a problem.

"It is also important to stress that the City of Charlotte and the Hornets organization have sought to provide an inclusive environment and that the Hornets will continue to ensure that all patrons -- including members of the LGBT community -- feel welcome while attending games and events in their arena," the NBA said.

So if the Hornets organization can do it for the other 41 games, why wouldn't it be able to for the ASG? It's not even trying to draw a distinction.

They are moving the ASG as a protest of HB2, not because the Hornets are non-compliant.

I guess that I look at this differently than most of you evidently do. Personally, I think that moving anything related to the NBA out of the state should be viewed as a reward, rather than as a punishment.

I'd love to see the entire NBA moved to Siberia.

At what point does some loony group on the opposite end of the political spectrum jump at the chance to move whatever Klan rally they're hosting to NC in solidarity with the state legislature?

I guess that I look at this differently than most of you evidently do. Personally, I think that moving anything related to the NBA out of the state should be viewed as a reward, rather than as a punishment.

I'd love to see the entire NBA moved to Siberia.

Then it'd finally be white enough for you.

lol.... So 2&2 blames Charlotte? Aiight

Sure. When the zoning council suddenly decides that they are the proper government entity to implement controversial (they themselves had voted it down before) hot-button social reform legislation in the face of a state legislature that has done a lot of restrictive shit, they need to expect some ramifications. They aren't the legislature; they aren't the Courts - know your role. All to address a problem that didn't actually exist and of which they had absolutely zero actual evidence. [And to the extent there was a problem of transgenders getting beat up in CLT bathrooms, which there wasn't, a wide variety of assault laws already exist to address those incidents.] They created this problem out of thin air and it has come back to bite them in the ass big time.

Sure. When the zoning council suddenly decides that they are the proper government entity to implement controversial (they themselves had voted it down before) hot-button social reform legislation in the face of a state legislature that has done a lot of restrictive shit, they need to expect some ramifications. They aren't the legislature; they aren't the Courts - know your role. All to address a problem that didn't actually exist and of which they had absolutely zero actual evidence. [And to the extent there was a problem of transgenders getting beat up in CLT bathrooms, which there wasn't, a wide variety of assault laws already exist to address those incidents.] They created this problem out of thin air and it has come back to bite them in the ass big time.

Yep, Charlotte's law caused the GOP in NC to go batshit crazy and create one of nation's most discriminatory laws.

Yep, the GOP in NC was FORCED to go that far....you know like how 100% of female employees that took maternity leave from working for 2&2 never returned to work for him.

It is the NBA that should be boycotted. To my knowledge it doesn't have a single LGBT owner or head coach.

So if city council is a zoning ordinance operation then who makes laws for the city?

So if city council is a zoning ordinance operation then who makes laws for the city?

Charlotte has a Planning and Zoning Commission who hear rezoning and zoning requests, annexation requests, etc. and they give their recommendation to the City Council for the City Council to make the final decision on the ordinance. I'm not sure if he means City Council or P&Z Commission by "zoning council." I would assume City Council since the P&Z Commission can't actually put anything into law - just give suggestions.

My take hasn't changed, this entire fiasco is just complete stupidity by everyone involved. The Charlotte City Council acted way outside their normal sphere of activity (which is primarily just granting/denying zoning variances) to enact an ordinance to address a "problem" that had absolutely, positively zero factual necessity in a blatant attempt to say "hey, look at us! we're so PC progressive!" The NC Legislature then doubled down on stupid by going completely overboard in the opposite direction and made themselves look even more ridiculous via their asinine attempts to rationalize their position. Now the NBA has tripled down on stupid by moving an extremely large event that their greatest ambassador and the overall face of their sport spent large amounts of capital to acquire, over the blocking of an ordinance that all but of a handful of other cities don't have either. So from now on are they only going to play games in cities that have enacted ordinances like the CLT ordinance? That would leave them with like 6 teams. And it sets a precedent that they need to avoid places with problematic/discriminatory laws in general ... so are they going to do a full review of all applicable city and state laws of every place they play games?

So it has come full circle to the CLT Council, who loses their economic boon because of their own egos. So in some sense they got what they deserved. I, however, am pissed because I was looking forward to the events themselves. So this just reinforces my position that 95% of all politicians are complete fucking morons.

I know people find it fun to pile on 2&2, but this isn't a bad take. He appears to be blaming the NC Legislature a lot more than the City Council.

Back