• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

I didn't watch the debate (cooked dinner, went for a run, etc.) but all of the post debate commentary and analysis indicates that Trump was amateur hour and that Clinton did a good job of making him look unprepared and ... What's a good synonym for stupid?... because I don't want to be mean or condescending, but stupid is the only word I can come up with.

I would honestly love to speak with someone who was undecided going into last night, and get their impressions.

The country is ripe for a four party system. The far right with the tea party and extreme conservatives (Trump) the former Republican Party (Bush) the former Democratic Party (Hillary) and the far left (Bernie)

The country is ripe for a four party system. The far right with the tea party and extreme conservatives (Trump) the former Republican Party (Bush) the former Democratic Party (Hillary) and the far left (Bernie)

Works...ok in Europe.

So much this. Center right and center left parties would be far more likely to form coalition governments with each other than the far right or left parties.

Where does the Libertarian west fit in? Are they Tea Party?

I think multi-party systems could be great. But here in the States the issue with this would be getting a majority Electoral College. The winner take all system in most states might prevent it, but I think you could quite often end up with an EC vote that doesn't reach the 270 threshold for anyone. Could spell the end of the EC, I guess, but could be a rough transition for the country.

ya'll are nuts, we're never going to have a legitimate multi-party system.

eta: *unless we change from a winner take all system, like sailor says

Last edited:
Oh No doubt there would need to be a massive overhaul on how elections are conducted. Besides electoral college, money would be a huge issue that needs to be addressed, as well as length of elections.

Trump's paid surrogate just said the reason the 6' portrait that was "being stored" at Doral for the charity and that is a legal thing to do. "Stored" in plain view to promote Trump. Yep, that's how things are normally "stored".

Last edited:
OMG! Trump's paid surrogate just said the reason the 6' portrait that was "being stored" at Doral for the charity and that is a legal thing to do. "Stored" in plain view to promote Trump. Yep, that's how things are normally "stored".

This is the wrong thread for over zealous outrage.

winner take all favors two party system

Yep. We already have that four party system. Those four parties have allied two and two underneath the Democrat and Republican tents. We saw a shift in the alignment of those parties around Civil Rights. We'll see further realignment in the future.

I took that off...You can edit it off your copy of the original post.

Oh No doubt there would need to be a massive overhaul on how elections are conducted. Besides electoral college, money would be a huge issue that needs to be addressed, as well as length of elections.

Gerrrymandering would also be a major obstacle. The entire country would have to be redrawn at a district level.

The Supreme Court needs to rule on gerrymandering. TX cut up Austin disgracefully.

Who made the best decision for their own political future: Pence, Kasich, or Cruz?

So far, I'd say Cruz. It kind of depends on the outcome of the election though. Assuming reason prevails and Trump loses, Cruz effectively distanced himself from the Trump Train, but in the end he gets to claim that he is a team player and endorsed the guy. I think Cruz emerges from all of this as the leader of the religious right. Pence is, I guess, in second place in this race to nowhere. With the VP nod he'll get a lot more name recognition 4 years from now, but tying himself so closely to Trump can't be a good move in the long term. Who is Kasich again?

Back