• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

Off the top of my head,

SCHIP (as first lady)
Aid for 9/11 first responders

SCHIP is a great program. It enabled me to get health insurance for my older daughter when I was a graduate student. Other was the cost to cover her would have been about 45% of my annual stipend.

HRC now has leads outside of the margin of error in all of those states except for CO (+2.9). Trump doesn't lead outside the MOE in any swing states. His only swing state lead above 1% is IA (+2.1).

Wannabe 2018 CA Governor Tom Steyer briefly ran anti-Trump ads in CA, but quickly figured out it was pointless since the state's never been remotely in doubt. Steyer's now running anti-Johnson ads on the environment targeted to millenials in eight swing states.

The debate bounce was solid for Clinton. 538 now has Clinton at 66% chance of winning. We are back over my 65% comfort threshold. If she does well in the 2nd debate it is over.

It's funny because I feel like the debate bar for Trump has been lowered even further, I guess like into the ground? which makes the remaining two debates wild cards. Though it's just as likely he doesn't change a damn thing. One positive is that early voting has started so the bump has happened at a great time for two weeks of that. Additionally the majority of swing states have registration deadlines that end the day after the second debate, so you will be left only trying to influence people that were engaged enough already to register to vote.

It's funny because I feel like the debate bar for Trump has been lowered even further, I guess like into the ground? which makes the remaining two debates wild cards. Though it's just as likely he doesn't change a damn thing. One positive is that early voting has started so the bump has happened at a great time for two weeks of that. Additionally the majority of swing states have registration deadlines that end the day after the second debate, so you will be left only trying to influence people that were engaged enough already to register to vote.

It reminds me of the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy bits. By debate #3, we will accept any response that contains actually words as correct for Trump. I really would love to see Ferrell's Trebeck dubbed into that debate as moderator. You could really cut that as a great sketch.

I was thinking the debate bar was going to be higher this time because so many people watched the first and he did so poorly. He had a ton of ground to make up. He not only has to reach the low bar of the first debate (not acting like an asshole and not sounding stupid all night) but this time around he'll actually have to sound smart.

It reminds me of the SNL Celebrity Jeopardy bits. By debate #3, we will accept any response that contains actually words as correct for Trump. I really would love to see Ferrell's Trebeck dubbed into that debate as moderator. You could really cut that as a great sketch.

This made me laugh.

I was thinking the debate bar was going to be higher this time because so many people watched the first and he did so poorly. He had a ton of ground to make up. He not only has to reach the low bar of the first debate (not acting like an asshole and not sounding stupid all night) but this time around he'll actually have to sound smart.

Hahaha. Not a chance. People know how he does in debates. It's why the bar is low. NO ONE is expecting him to improve. It's easier to just convince yourself and others that he actually won the first debate.

Hahaha. Not a chance. People know how he does in debates. It's why the bar is low. NO ONE is expecting him to improve. It's easier to just convince yourself and others that he actually won the first debate.

Fair enough. My thought was that in order to gain voters or improve his polling he'll have to do better. The people that already support him aren't going anywhere.

My thoughts are heavily influenced by a piece on NPR by Mara Liason on Tuesday. She actually used the phrase "word salad" to describe Trumps responses.

In all seriousness, Trump tweeted crazy shit last night at 3:20 AM, 5:14 AM, 5:19 AM, and 5:30 AM. What is going on with this dude? I mean, other than:

giphy.gif

here are those tweets:

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Wow, Crooked Hillary was duped and used by my worst Miss U. Hillary floated her as an "angel" without checking her past, which is terrible!
2:14 AM - 30 Sep 2016
5,303 5,303 Retweets 13,540 13,540 likes
Follow
Using Alicia M in the debate as a paragon of virtue just shows that Crooked Hillary suffers from BAD JUDGEMENT! Hillary was set up by a con.
2:19 AM - 30 Sep 2016
5,308 5,308 Retweets 13,042 13,042 likes
Follow
Did Crooked Hillary help disgusting (check out sex tape and past) Alicia M become a U.S. citizen so she could use her in the debate?

The whole debate fiasco is bizarre, especially from the campaign's stand point. Low debate expectations has been a huge advantage for Trump, yet Conway was entusiastically repeating Newt's claim that Trump's the Babe Ruth of debaters. Insane to raise expectations and then have Trump shit the bed.

Also insane to pretend Trump won based on online polls. If they truly believe they won, what's Trump going to do differently? Mitt kicked Obama's ass in the first debate and Obama readily admitted it after the fact. Got his shit together for the next two debates.

Kaine's been off the trail for a few days, but Pence is still campaigning. Apparently they see no value in doing well at the debates.

Swing state numbers, especially FL, OH, NC, and IA are surprising. Doubted Plouffe on IA, NC, and OH, but the numbers are surprisingly close. HRC has 26K volunteers in IA alone. Despite the alleged silent majority, Trump may not have 26K volunteers nationally. Was at the Panthers game a couple of weeks ago, and there were HRC volunteers Uptown, but none from Trump. Trump's rallies aren't drawing 70K people. Why hold an event in Asheville and blow off a Panthers game?

The whole debate fiasco is bizarre, especially from the campaign's stand point. Low debate expectations has been a huge advantage for Trump, yet Conway was entusiastically repeating Newt's claim that Trump's the Babe Ruth of debaters. Insane to raise expectations and then have Trump shit the bed.

Also insane to pretend Trump won based on online polls. If they truly believe they won, what's Trump going to do differently? Mitt kicked Obama's ass in the first debate and Obama readily admitted it after the fact. Got his shit together for the next two debates.

Kaine's been off the trail for a few days, but Pence is still campaigning. Apparently they see no value in doing well at the debates.

Swing state numbers, especially FL, OH, NC, and IA are surprising. Doubted Plouffe on IA, NC, and OH, but the numbers are surprisingly close. HRC has 26K volunteers in IA alone. Despite the alleged silent majority, Trump may not have 26K volunteers nationally. Was at the Panthers game a couple of weeks ago, and there were HRC volunteers Uptown, but none from Trump. Trump's rallies aren't drawing 70K people. Why hold an event in Asheville and blow off a Panthers game?

I don't think Trump's ego can handle anyone (much less someone associated with his campaign) suggesting that he is anything other than great at anything. That led to the "Babe Ruth" quotes before the debate and the incessant spin afterwards.

By the way, Ted Cruz's decision to endorse the weekend before the 1st debate looks a lot like his decision to name Fiorina as his running mate right before the Indiana primary. Good timing, Ted.

Trump senior advisor in Florida, Healy Baumgardner just resigned over discomfort with the direction of the campaign. Not a good sign for Team Trump.

"It is clear the campaign is now going in a direction I am no longer comfortable with and I have decided to move on,” Healy Baumgardner, a longtime GOP operative, told Bloomberg.

http://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2016/09/trump-adviser-in-florida-resigns-105972

According to the Bloomberg article, she resigned over GOTV funding and direction in FL before the debate and not as a result of the debate and its aftermath. There's no path without FL and no evidence Trump has much of an organization in PA, NC, or VA. Good luck with that.

Jason Miller, Trump's spokesperson who doesn't understand polling, came from the Cruz campaign. Katrina Pierson has been a disaster, as was Lewandowski. Conroy, who came from Cruz's SuperPAC, has been the the lone bright spot. Other than Conroy, none will ever have major roles in a GOP presidential campaign again. WTF were they thinking by hitching their wagon to Trump after seeing the primaries up close? Cruz and Carly made better decisions than any of those clowns.

Dissension is permitted but not crazy bullshit. You are welcome to contribute any evidence you have that Hillary has not accomplished anything in her 30 years of public service.

I thought his assessment of her career was quite accurate.

Interesting. The Tampa Bay Times had this headline yesterday.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...llary-clintons-ground-game-in-florida/2295880

[h=1]Democrats distressed about Hillary Clinton's ground game in Florida[/h]
Despite roughly 500 full-time staffers spread across the state to help Clinton win forever-close Florida, party leaders and activists are fretting about the campaign's ground game. Even Clinton staffers in other states are quietly buzzing about the Florida campaign struggling to meet its goals for voter registration and other outreach benchmarks.
"There needs to be more of a presence," said Ken Welch, a Democratic county commissioner in Pinellas County. "I haven't seen it yet in the places where I would expect to — churches, even Little League games. You absolutely saw that four years ago with the Obama campaign."
"The adjectives I would use are underwhelming and stressful," said Monica Russo, president of the SEIU Florida service employees union, of the campaign's voter outreach efforts.
U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Delray Beach, has already let leaders of the Brooklyn-based Clinton campaign have it for not focusing enough on grass roots organizing — "If you spend $20 million on television, and you don't move the needle, then you need to recalibrate" — and is confident they got the message.

Fair enough. My thought was that in order to gain voters or improve his polling he'll have to do better. The people that already support him aren't going anywhere.

My thoughts are heavily influenced by a piece on NPR by Mara Liason on Tuesday. She actually used the phrase "word salad" to describe Trumps responses.

I have to agree with this. If he cannot debate better, he cannot win. We will see if tutor sessions with Cruz make a difference.

Speaking of SNL, it ought to be over the top this weeken with debate replays.

Back