• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

I think you probably could make the assumption that if Trump wins Republicans will have control of the house and senate as well, at least that's my assumption. Gridlock gone, open season for crazy.

Democrat filibuster would still be in full effect though.

That's pretty far fetched, IMO. There was some basis for not appointing a justice this year, but that goes out the window after the election. Whomever wins this election is likely to have significant impact on the supreme court. One of the most important areas will be gerrymandering. This election has the potential to be as big as the 2010 congressional elections for long-term impact.

I completely disagree with the bolded. There was no precedent or reasonable justification.

Having said that, yes my 6 justice supreme court idea is a hysterical and outlandish speculation. Obviously that would not happen IRL.

Maybe we could apply this rule to all of the Tunnels for the next, say, two months? Thanks mods!

Also, there are birds that use tools? Whoa. #whoa
Using tools:

And making tools:

Democrat filibuster would still be in full effect though.

Filibuster records would be set, considering the amount of things the GOP-controlled two branches would try to undo - ACA, various treaties, environmental protections, CFPB, Dodd-Frank, etc.

It includes things like completely eliminating the Clean Power Plan, the United States’ most robust attempt at curbing dangerous greenhouse gas emissions from power sources. It would also eliminate the Waters of the United States rule, a rule that would protect millions of Americans from water pollution.
Donald Trump’s new economic policy plan would be devastating to the climate:
https://thinkprogress.org/trump-economic-plan-climate-dangers-4b685b8bb576#.xd6lgehl8

The link they provide for some sort of fact sheet on Trump's new economic plan is pretty much a blank page so I can "fact check" any of this.

Yeah I was on his website yesterday and his plans there are as much coal as possible, removal of any regulations that are too restrictive in every sector, out of the UN climate change agreements, etc... It's a great plot to pander to people in swing states reliant on a dying industry that won't innovate so hopefully it's just that, pandering.

How much power would Trump have to do this stuff unilaterally? I learned a while back that there are checks and balances but not sure if it still applies.

Yeah I was on his website yesterday and his plans there are as much coal as possible, removal of any regulations that are too restrictive in every sector, out of the UN climate change agreements, etc... It's a great plot to pander to people in swing states reliant on a dying industry that won't innovate so hopefully it's just that, pandering.

Smoke em if you got it.

How much power would Trump have to do this stuff unilaterally? I learned a while back that there are checks and balances but not sure if it still applies.

If Trump wins, the GOP will also control the Senate and House. The Democrats will have filibuster power, but it'll basically be a blank check for the idiocracy.

You don't think the GOP congress would try to make proposals more moderate?

I honestly think that could accomplish a lot and I think that the house would eagerly support deregulation. Repealing Dodd Frank won't happen, but a lot of how laws are implemented happen through rule-making from the executive branch. That is a pretty easy set of changes for him to execute. When he says things like:

- A temporary pause on new regulations and a review of previous regulations to see which need to be scrapped.
- Require each federal agency to prepare a list of all of the regulations they impose on American business, and rank them from most critical to health and safety to least critical. Least critical regulations will receive priority consideration for repeal.
(https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/economic-vision)
He is talking about changing the ways laws are implemented not through congressional actions.

Yes, if there is one thing we can say about the current GOP congress, is that they are moderate.

If Trump wins, the GOP will also control the Senate and House. The Democrats will have filibuster power, but it'll basically be a blank check for the idiocracy.

So the entire country will essentially become Kansas. Fantastic.

Yes, if there is one thing we can say about the current GOP congress, is that they are moderate.

Don't get it twisted or I'll wrassle you! What I'm saying is that if Trump decides to do something crazy presumably they'll rein him in a bit. Maybe not, but Trump doesn't espouse a lot of traditional GOP economic thought so thinking there could be some push back.

Don't get it twisted or I'll wrassle you! What I'm saying is that if Trump decides to do something crazy presumably they'll rein him in a bit. Maybe not, but Trump doesn't espouse a lot of traditional GOP economic thought so thinking there could be some push back.

They certainly held Bush accountable to limit big government spending.

It would be interesting if the projections of increased deficit by 10 trillion by implementing Trumps plans what does a republican controlled legislative branch do? They do always end up talking a big game then increasing the deficit a lot when they are in charge but that might even be too ridiculous for them

It would be interesting if the projections of increased deficit by 10 trillion by implementing Trumps plans what does a republican controlled legislative branch do? They do always end up talking a big game then increasing the deficit a lot when they are in charge but that might even be too ridiculous for them

Just do the patriotic thing and support our President, TWMD.

A Trump presidency frightens me. There is just no telling what kind of damage single party Republican rule will cause given the current incarnation of the GOP/tea party/Trumpism. The last two rounds of single party rule gave us massive tax cuts and a pointless war, then Obamacare. The next round would be even worse.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back