• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

You don't think the GOP congress would try to make proposals more moderate?

You do?

They've spent the last six years constantly trying to repeal the ACA, even though they knew it would never go through. They also attempted, at various points to:

- Defund Planned Parenthood
- Shut down the government
- Repeal Wall Street regulations and the CFPB
- Impeach the President
- Block every single gun control measure
- Revoke the voting rights act
- Let the Violence Against Women act expire
- Refuse to pay our financial obligations

What makes you think having a GOP POTUS would all of a sudden turn these lunatics into moderates?

You do?

They've spent the last six years constantly trying to repeal the ACA, even though they knew it would never go through. They also attempted, at various points to:

- Defund Planned Parenthood
- Shut down the government
- Repeal Wall Street regulations and the CFPB
- Impeach the President
- Block every single gun control measure
- Revoke the voting rights act
- Let the Violence Against Women act expire
- Refuse to pay our financial obligations

What makes you think having a GOP POTUS would all of a sudden turn these lunatics into moderates?

To be fair, items 2, 4 and 8 were solely motivated by irrational hatred of a black, Democrat President. I doubt they would have shut down the government or refused to pay debt obligations under a republican. Didn't McConnell specifically say that his #1 priority was making sure Obama was a one term president?

A Trump presidency frightens me. There is just no telling what kind of damage single party Republican rule will cause given the current incarnation of the GOP/tea party/Trumpism. The last two rounds of single party rule gave us massive tax cuts and a pointless war, then Obamacare. The next round would be even worse.

Single-party rule in NC certainly has not gone well over the past 4 years. Really looking forward to January when hopefully we'll at least have a Democratic governor and no more veto-proof majority in the General Assembly. That should curtail a lot of the stupid.

As a father, the thing that bothers me most about Trump's candidacy is that he is objectively a pretty terrible person and horrible role model. The idea of having to explain to my kids in the future how this man who is basically the Quintessential Asshole got 40+% of the popular vote is sad. Trying to explain a Trump presidency would be almost unthinkable. There's just nothing to respect about the man.

Single-party rule in NC certainly has not gone well over the past 4 years. Really looking forward to January when hopefully we'll at least have a Democratic governor and no more veto-proof majority in the General Assembly. That should curtail a lot of the stupid.

let's hope so.

As a father, the thing that bothers me most about Trump's candidacy is that he is objectively a pretty terrible person and horrible role model. The idea of having to explain to my kids in the future how this man who is basically the Quintessential Asshole got 40+% of the popular vote is sad. Trying to explain a Trump presidency would be almost unthinkable. There's just nothing to respect about the man.

Good way to explain to your kids how dumb America is as a whole.

The Trump brand is built on aspiration. All that tacky gold-plated Saddam Hussein/Gaddafi furniture is bizarre. Totally get and empathize that lots of rural working poor have fallen behind economically, but don't get how anyone can aspire to Trump's horrific personal life.

Do any parents want their daughters to live with a 45 year divorced guy (at least a decade older than her) who's so insecure that he uses a fake name to call a reporter and brag about banging three side pieces?!?

Good way to explain to your kids how dumb America is as a whole.

I recognize that there are a lot of woefully hopeless people out there, but I actually do have faith in America that Trump will not be elected President.

I have already started prepping for this, my daughters are 9 and 7. But it is very hard to put a positive spin this. We listen to NPR together on the way to school in the morning, and we talk about why people are angry these days. I also openly talk to them about racisms which I think is important since I am a liberal New Yorker raising my kids in Alabama.

I have already started prepping for this, my daughters are 9 and 7. But it is very hard to put a positive spin this. We listen to NPR together on the way to school in the morning, and we talk about why people are angry these days. I also openly talk to them about racisms which I think is important since I am a liberal New Yorker raising my kids in Alabama.

feels like the pilot episode of Revolution where the dad is having his kids eating all the ice cream from the freezer saying "remember how this tastes because you'll never get it again"

My 7 year old told me last night that if Donald Trump is president he'll bring back nuclear weapons. I couldn't assure him that wasn't true.

To be fair, items 2, 4 and 8 were solely motivated by irrational hatred of a black, Democrat President. I doubt they would have shut down the government or refused to pay debt obligations under a republican. Didn't McConnell specifically say that his #1 priority was making sure Obama was a one term president?

I think you just made my point. A group of people willing to torpedo the country for the reasons you stated are all of a sudden going to be moderate just because their guy won?

I think you just made my point. A group of people willing to torpedo the country for the reasons you stated are all of a sudden going to be moderate just because their guy won?

Correct, I wasn't being serious. Even though this is the serious thread.

Well shit. My sarcasm meter's battery must be low.

Don't be so hard on yourself. This is my fault, we're on the serious thread I should keep it serious. Plus it wasn't really sarcasm because it was completely true. I don't know what you call that except dark and sad.

You guys can tell jokes, that is fine. Just keep the crazy off this thread.

The Trump brand is built on aspiration. All that tacky gold-plated Saddam Hussein/Gaddafi furniture is bizarre. Totally get and empathize that lots of rural working poor have fallen behind economically, but don't get how anyone can aspire to Trump's horrific personal life.

Do any parents want their daughters to live with a 45 year divorced guy (at least a decade older than her) who's so insecure that he uses a fake name to call a reporter and brag about banging three side pieces?!?

Aspiration?

Don't you mean narcissism? Or theft?

My son just turned 5, and he thinks the President is a big deal, knows about the White House, Air Force One, etc. It really is a national embarrassment.

My son just turned 5, and he thinks the President is a big deal, knows about the White House, Air Force One, etc. It really is a national embarrassment.

I got my kids super interested in the election, in part, by taking them to some (small) Bernie Sanders rallies in our town in the spring. We were standing on the sidewalk holding Bernie 2016 signs and giant pick-up after giant pick-up drove by shouting obscenities and "TRUMP 2016." Super classy, believe me! My 7 years old kept asking "why are they so mad?"

Back