• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SayHeyDeac's Thread For Serious Political Discourse Only--Trolls Need Not Apply

One week until the debates and the news cycle this week will mostly be about the recent MN/NJ/NY events, national security, and immigration.

In NC for a few days, have seen many people convassing for HRC in/around CLT and buddy from ILM said same situation there. Similar stories from NOVA, WI, and CO. Zero stories about anyone actively convassing for Trump in swing states. Guess the new silent majority doesn't need any fancy pants GOTV stuff.

There was a team of Hillary people in my neighborhood (PA) yesterday canvassing and helping people register to vote.

How do they help people to register to vote? Is it as easy as using an iPad and signing up online, I feel there's no way republicans make it that easy.

You can register online, but they had clipboards not iPads, so I assume they were filling out forms. You have to register 30 days before the vote in PA, so there should be a push to get people registered the next few weeks.

Oh man, the General Election thread has gone nuts. Do I really want to catch up on over 100 posts?

You don't have to read all 100. You know which to ignore. :)

You can register online, but they had clipboards not iPads, so I assume they were filling out forms. You have to register 30 days before the vote in PA, so there should be a push to get people registered the next few weeks.

Oh man, the General Election thread has gone nuts. Do I really want to catch up on over 100 posts?

There is some interesting discussion about the debates this morning, but yesterday was just Palmab03 talking about betting lines and in general being a douche. His post about Muslim girls with back hair was excellent though.

Yeah that General election thread is impossible to read now. It's basically three posters celebrating the fact that Trump has tied this thing and being particularly douchey about it. As I said on the other thread, there is a lot of left in the game. We're basically at the end of the half and have two more quarters to play. Would not be surprised to see a few more volatile swings based on news cycles.

It could easily be argued that Hillary has run the most inept presidential campaign since WWII (and possibly longer). With even a modicum of professionalism, this would be blowout.

It could easily be argued that Hillary has run the most inept presidential campaign since WWII (and possibly longer). With even a modicum of professionalism, this would be blowout.

I disagree with this hyperbolic post. Calm down.

She has known all her political life that she does not possess the charisma of Bill, Obama, Reagan, or even Donald Trump (to the rubes, anyway). So her strategy has been to lay low and let Trump dig himself under by being a dumbass - and work hard on the groundgame with the data from the Obama campaigns to GOTV like a mofo and eke out the battleground states and win. You don't have to win huge, just win. As stated before, all races are tight nowadays in polling.

they have done a pretty good job of this and are running pretty well. Has it been the best campaign ever? no. But the most inept since WWII? surely you jest

She has known all her political life that she does not possess the charisma of Bill, Obama, Reagan, or even Donald Trump (to the rubes, anyway). So her strategy has been to lay low and let Trump dig himself under by being a dumbass - and work hard on the groundgame with the data from the Obama campaigns to GOTV like a mofo and eke out the battleground states and win. You don't have to win huge, just win. As stated before, all races are tight nowadays in polling.

they have done a pretty good job of this and are running pretty well. Has it been the best campaign ever? no. But the most inept since WWII? surely you jest

I agree with this. Hillary hasn't run a bad campaign, necessarily, she was/is very bad candidate to start with. Almost any other Democrat would be ahead by 8 to 10 points without even trying. Even far left Bernie would probably be sitting on a comfortable 5 point lead. But the Dems hitched their wagon to a very flawed and personalityless candidate and then she got sick and nearly collapsed on camera.

The Sanders candidacy did damage to her with millennials. Many are convinced that the entire election was a sham and that Sanders would have won going away with a fair election. Of course this isn't true and he lost because he had no minority support among other things, but they are convinced of it.

Bernie has been a good soldier since the primaries, but I don't know if that cat can get back in the bag, and it hurt her with a constituency that she needs.

It's not hyperbolic at all. It's also not comparing her charisma to Bill's or Reagan's or even Trump's.

There are mountains of things a normal campaign would have used against an opponent. You would especially want to use these things against someone with a hair trigger temper and loves to tweet incendiary posts. This is the way to make him bury himself.

In this era of internet, social media and cable, you can do the above easily and without impacting the GOTV efforts.

You never want to let a game or an election get too tight. If you are up 5-10, you should try get up 10-15 and then let it close. By using this strategy, she will win, but she has harmed the down ticket races. If she went for the bigger lead, many opposition voters would be less likely to vote. Using this strategy has empowered the opposition's voters. Many Senate races are tight now that wouldn't have been had she even minimally participated for the past six weeks.

Not going for the kill when she had the chance is even worse than Gore not using the Clintons to win WVA or FL in 2000.

It's not hyperbolic at all. It's also not comparing her charisma to Bill's or Reagan's or even Trump's.

There are mountains of things a normal campaign would have used against an opponent. You would especially want to use these things against someone with a hair trigger temper and loves to tweet incendiary posts. This is the way to make him bury himself.

In this era of internet, social media and cable, you can do the above easily and without impacting the GOTV efforts.

You never want to let a game or an election get too tight. If you are up 5-10, you should try get up 10-15 and then let it close. By using this strategy, she will win, but she has harmed the down ticket races. If she went for the bigger lead, many opposition voters would be less likely to vote. Using this strategy has empowered the opposition's voters. Many Senate races are tight now that wouldn't have been had she even minimally participated for the past six weeks.

Not going for the kill when she had the chance is even worse than Gore not using the Clintons to win WVA or FL in 2000.

you missed my point I believe. She knows she isn't likable so she is limiting her exposure and likely pulling some punches to not look like an asshole. She has it much tougher than Trump in that regard, because she comes into this thing being roundly hated by many, and being a woman. When a guy is ambitious and provocative and on the attack it is seen as a strength, when a woman does it it is seen as bitchy. Obama had the same problem, he didnt want to be seen as the "angry black man." I think she is doing about as well as she can. She is not the ideal candidate, but I am arguing your point that she is running an inept campaign. I think she is trying to stay out of her own way as much as possible.

I agree she should stay out of it as much as possible and that she's a terrible candidate, but she doesn't have to do it herself. She has a massive staff and lots of "surrogates". Hell, they could use the people Trump didn't pay as ads. They could use the girls from his modeling agency.

They could use the products he has made in China and Mexico in ads with tags like "since when does Donald make things in America".

If the ads were real people, it's diametrically different than simple negative ads. People can identify with a painter or cabinet maker or others he screwed. There's nothing more powerful than have a neighbor tell you about a product or candidate.

The fact that millions haven't been spent on Telemundo or Univision is gross negligence.

I agree she shouldn't be talking about these issues at campaign stops, but there are lots of other ways to get the info out and she hasn't done so.

I have seen ads Trump's products made in other countries, ads that feature people that have been screwed by Trump University, and ads featuring small business owners screwed by Trump Inc. Frequently.

We only get the national commercials. None of those have played here or on national networks.

She has known all her political life that she does not possess the charisma of Jeff Bzdelick. So her strategy has been to lay low and let Trump dig himself under by being a dumbass - and work hard on the groundgame with the data from the Obama campaigns to GOTV like a mofo and eke out the battleground states and win. You don't have to win huge, just win. As stated before, all races are tight nowadays in polling.

FIFY

The Sanders candidacy did damage to her with millennials. Many are convinced that the entire election was a sham and that Sanders would have won going away with a fair election. Of course this isn't true and he lost because he had no minority support among other things, but they are convinced of it.

Bernie has been a good soldier since the primaries, but I don't know if that cat can get back in the bag, and it hurt her with a constituency that she needs.

HRC has made a more aggressive push for the so-called millennials of late. Just today I've seen a number of media mentions, articles, and/or releases from her campaign targeting that demo.

It would be a very millennial thing to do to sit out an election because you thought you were getting screwed and end up bitching and complaining about a worse outcome for you with a Trump presidency in which you didn't vote. You want millennials to vote for you Hillary, say you will legalize marijuana, done and done.

It would be a very millennial thing to do to sit out an election because you thought you were getting screwed and end up bitching and complaining about a worse outcome for you with a Trump presidency in which you didn't vote. You want millennials to vote for you Hillary, say you will legalize marijuana, done and done.

yea i posted this on the general election thread but millennials were generally too young to remember what happened in 2000 with nader votes and low young voter turnout was, but thanks young people

still, blaming young idiots for handing the election to trump is fine but most young people will not vote for trump

he enjoys most of his support in pretty homogeneous boomer and gen x cohorts

Back