• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where Should I Live?

Where Should I Live

• Total voters
I've got a 6 year old and live in Manhattan, yards and shit are overrated - having friends, babysitters, parties, parks and anything else kid related within walking distance is a million times better than burb living with a kid - riverside park is my yard. It has a cafe with beer.

Point being, don't make a decision based off what you think you will want in 5+ years

What's wrong with DC? Wife and I had a great time living in DC for three years. I would say you should actually live IN DC rather than Arlington or Alexandria and just say you live in DC.

I've left downtown LA at 5 PM and gotten up to Pasadena in 20 minutes with barely any traffic. You're not getting to Fairfield, CT in 20 minutes. Plus there are a lot of firms in Century City which is a easy commute from livable places on the West Side

RE: LA - it's about where you'll be working. LA isn't really a conventional city. I'd take the West Side over New York or DC.

Three of the worst choices for sure. Call an audible and live somewhere awesome like Seattle.

So you can be surrounded by pretentious assholes and shitty weather?

LA has amazing weather, great beaches, great surfing, and the people have a dope fuck you vibe to them that is so different than douchey places like Seattle.

What's wrong with DC? Wife and I had a great time living in DC for three years. I would say you should actually live IN DC rather than Arlington or Alexandria and just say you live in DC.

It's a shittily managed city with shitty infrastructure that barely functions, it's incredibly segregated, has a virtually non-existent arts scene, it's food scene pales in comparison to NYC or LA, and it's a one industry town full of largely awful people so if you don't work in law/government you end up hating most of everyone living around you.

It's not a world class city in any way. It's basically a big version of some random state capital city, and even it's still awkward.

I've lived in all three cities. Drop DC, it's not even close to being on the same level as the other two cities.

If this is your first lawyer gig and you're single I'd suggest NYC.

LA is awesome, don't listen to the donk detractors that visited once and got stuck in Hollywood traffic. But it's not quite as cool as NYC if you're still young/single. If you're just starting your career I wouldn't assume you'll be able to find a house with a yard in a non crime area unless you get some roommates in LA. Rent is still ridiculous although you're right that houses are actually an option unlike Manhattan.

I've lived in all three cities. Drop DC, it's not even close to being on the same level as the other two cities.

If this is your first lawyer gig and you're single I'd suggest NYC.

LA is awesome, don't listen to the donk detractors that visited once and got stuck in Hollywood traffic. But it's not quite as cool as NYC if you're still young/single. If you're just starting your career I wouldn't assume you'll be able to find a house with a yard in a non crime area unless you get some roommates in LA. Rent is still ridiculous although you're right that houses are actually an option unlike Manhattan.

workaholics_house.jpg

It's a shittily managed city with shitty infrastructure that barely functions, it's incredibly segregated, has a virtually non-existent arts scene, it's food scene pales in comparison to NYC or LA, and it's a one industry town full of largely awful people so if you don't work in law/government you end up hating most of everyone living around you.

It's not a world class city in any way. It's basically a big version of some random state capital city, and even it's still awkward.

I'll pile on:

It's a city obsessed with status (where you went to school, which Congressional office you work in, etc) ... and yet the vast majority of people are only there because they failed to get a good job in a real city and their dad hooked them up with a local elected official as a favor and so they have a fancy business card and yet still shit for brains.

It's Miami for ugly people with horrendous fashion. Nothing like watching dorky people in bad fitting clothes slobbering on each other in overpriced bars used for fund raisers.

It's desperately poor unless you are in NW, where it's rich as shit. Nobody gives a fuck about this.

In fact, nobody gives a fuck about the city at all. They are all from somewhere else, work representating people from somewhere else and the end result is they don't truly give a damn about where they are actually living. It's why the metro is a death trap, 3/4 of the city lives in destitution, why the national mall has about 4 blades of grass in the entire thing (compare it to Central Park for example, it's shocking how shabbily it's kept up) and the suburbs and urban sprawl are among the worst in the US.

Oh, and it's hot and humid as fuck ... just a miserable fucking place to be about 8 months of the year.

That was not my experience living in DC at all, but alright.

I wouldn't want to live in DC either, but that's typical vad hyperbole. The rent is too damn high, but I have a great time every time I visit. It's not NYC though.

At least we know why vad hates America.

I wouldn't want to live in DC either, but that's typical vad hyperbole. The rent is too damn high, but I have a great time every time I visit. It's not NYC though.

I just hate the place, never enjoyed it (living or visiting). Probably my least favorite major city in the entire US.

I don't get any sense of neighborhood pride, or at least I didn't til a buddy moved to Brookland, and that shit is plastered on every bar wall and on all the street signs and stuff. Decent upcoming art scene there too. Also the bars and restaurants are solid. Some really talented chefs in DC these days.

I just hate the place, never enjoyed it (living or visiting). Probably my least favorite major city in the entire US.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you lived or spent any time here? It has changed dramatically in pretty much every sense in the 13 years I've been here.

Back