• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where Should I Live?

Where Should I Live

• Total voters
No, I get NYC and I really like it. But at some point I'm going to want a yard for a family and I don't want to commute from Connecticut/Jersey.

Biff and milhouse are excited to induct into the ASD;BC family.

Milhouse is the suburban guy. I live in an urban mecca.

I'll pile on:

It's a city obsessed with status (where you went to school, which Congressional office you work in, etc) ... and yet the vast majority of people are only there because they failed to get a good job in a real city and their dad hooked them up with a local elected official as a favor and so they have a fancy business card and yet still shit for brains.

It's Miami for ugly people with horrendous fashion. Nothing like watching dorky people in bad fitting clothes slobbering on each other in overpriced bars used for fund raisers.

It's desperately poor unless you are in NW, where it's rich as shit. Nobody gives a fuck about this.

In fact, nobody gives a fuck about the city at all. They are all from somewhere else, work representating people from somewhere else and the end result is they don't truly give a damn about where they are actually living. It's why the metro is a death trap, 3/4 of the city lives in destitution, why the national mall has about 4 blades of grass in the entire thing (compare it to Central Park for example, it's shocking how shabbily it's kept up) and the suburbs and urban sprawl are among the worst in the US.

Oh, and it's hot and humid as fuck ... just a miserable fucking place to be about 8 months of the year.

Asked and answered. I'd probably disagree with your characterization that everyone is as you describe, but I never ran in those circles and wasn't part of the government scene so you may be right with your opinion on a large number of them.

I've never been to LA but NYC is my answer. Leagues beyond DC.

And the house with the yard is the ideal lifestyle for people with no imagination. I can't imagine a better education than growing up going all over NYC.

DC sucks donkey balls! NYC is the tits. Only do LA if you can live and work in Manhattan beach or Malibu and know how to surf well. Don't come out like some noob getting in our way on the swells!

Last edited:
ITT vad repeats lazy 10-year old DC stereotypes.

DC is incredibly diverse if you actually expand your horizons and stop hanging out in the 4 square blocks surrounding the Hill.

I don't know if it was because I had been on a 2 day bender and like 3 hours of sleep but when I went to a job interview in DC a few months ago I really really hated it.

Hot takes:

I felt really old in DC when I was like 27. Unless your settling down and/or 23 years old I'm not sure I'd move there

NYC is the tits but after about 72 hours of visiting I'm always ready to leave. The walls start closing in.

Never been to LA. Heard the traffic sucks, the prices of everything rapes your soul, but the weather is nice and BEACH

That's all I got

Yeah DC is on the list pretty much only for potential future career opportunities, but I can probably just move there later if I need to. It's definitely third, behind NY and LA.

ITT vad repeats lazy 10-year old DC stereotypes.

DC is incredibly diverse if you actually expand your horizons and stop hanging out in the 4 square blocks surrounding the Hill.

I spent most of my time in DC going to the backside of Columbia Heights and playing soccer with all the El Salvadorians in various church owned parks. That was pretty cool.

It's just that unlike nearly every other national capital in the world, there's no real economy outside of the government. You simply cannot escape it, no matter where you go. For someone who is not a politician or diplomat (and is married to one, so I get it already enough at home) ... it's such a fucking oppressive atmosphere, and it's not just the 4 blocks around the Hill ... there's 6 million people in the metro area affiliated with the government in one way or the other. They aren't just in 4 blocks around the Hill. The entire time I'm there I just want to find someone like me who is not related to governance in any way and be like "OMG ANOTHER NORMAL PERSON". It's a factory town.

And I'll freely admit, I fucking hate DC. Vadtoy actually likes it quite a bit - but again, she works in a political field so it's kind of her version of what say ... Silicon Valley or Austin or similar is for me. Lots of like minded people, pinnacle of the profession, seat of power, etc.

Hot takes:

I felt really old in DC when I was like 27. Unless your settling down and/or 23 years old I'm not sure I'd move there

NYC is the tits but after about 72 hours of visiting I'm always ready to leave. The walls start closing in.

Never been to LA. Heard the traffic sucks, the prices of everything rapes your soul, but the weather is nice and BEACH

That's all I got
This is probably bc you treat NYC like Vegas when you visit

This is probably bc you treat NYC like Vegas when you visit

Fair point. Although like two of the times I visited I didn't rage and I was still kind of over it by day four. Too much hustle and bustle for this simpleton.

Last edited:
I've got a 6 year old and live in Manhattan, yards and shit are overrated - having friends, babysitters, parties, parks and anything else kid related within walking distance is a million times better than burb living with a kid - riverside park is my yard. It has a cafe with beer.

me too but with a 5 y/o an a 2 y/o

Back