• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where Should I Live?

Where Should I Live

• Total voters
Like someone else mentioned NYC is the shit but seems to get old quickly. Walking everywhere sucks.

The LA weather makes it very appealing.

Chicago is not on this list, but it would be my #1 choice.

Weather, nature, food/drink, diversity, really cool collection of hoods, and the surrounding area are big selling points. Dollar goes a lot farther, too, in comparison to NYC, too. Transit options are far better than advertised.

true also we aren't scared of black ppl like atlantans who need to suburbanize so hard they just let their downtown be shitty, we just live next door to them and hang out and have block parties and use the same public transportation

Like someone else mentioned NYC is the shit but seems to get old quickly. Walking everywhere sucks.

The LA weather makes it very appealing.

Chicago is not on this list, but it would be my #1 choice.

I'm not going to Chicago. Climate is way too bad

If you get sick of Manhattan or Brooklyn there is always plenty of close suburbs to NYC where you can get the house/yard. Fairfield is about an 1 and a half away. So may nice neighborhoods closer when you are ready to settle down (Bronxville, Rye, Long Island, Summit etc)

If you get sick of Manhattan or Brooklyn there is always plenty of close suburbs to NYC where you can get the house/yard. Fairfield is about an 1 and a half away. So may nice neighborhoods closer when you are ready to settle down (Bronxville, Rye, Long Island, Summit etc)

I've lived in Fairfield before. I don't want that commute

Sounds like you want a big city with lots of culture where you can buy a decent-sized house for not too much money in a place that has an easy commute and great weather. No sweat.

true also we aren't scared of black ppl like atlantans who need to suburbanize so hard they just let their downtown be shitty, we just live next door to them and hang out and have block parties and use the same public transportation

Lol. This is a 1990 criticism of ATL.

ATL has the largest black middle class in the country, but we are afraid of each other? Fuzzy math.

Lol. This is a 1990 criticism of ATL.

ATL has the largest black middle class in the country, but we are afraid of each other? Fuzzy math.

Not afraid if you say so. Just choose to live in different places.

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated

silver-feature-segregation-city.png

How Segregated is Atlanta ?

Screen_20Shot_202014-06-02_20at_2011.16.47_20AM.0.jpg

Last edited:
That is 2010 data, so it is way off, and I suspect strongly it is considering the greater metro area, not the city.

I would point the corridor from downtown/midtown extending east to 285, from Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, O4W, Inman Park, Edgewood, Candler Park, Kirkwood through Decatur and extending east to Lake Claire and Avondale Estates, these are all seriously integrated middle and working class neighborhoods. Drive through and there are equal numbers of white and black households.

Will it stay that way in 10 years?, or will gentrification and reverse white flight raise prices driving out minorities? Maybe. But as of now there are tons of seriously integrated intown neighborhoods in the A.

I think a fair amount of that would be baked into 2010 stats, but okay.

I think a fair amount of that would be baked into 2010 stats, but okay.

I live in Inman Park and it is dramatically different than it was six years ago and that is starting to spread out into other neighborhoods. The townhouses across from me start at 600K so I imagine it will be pushing a lot of people out.

I lived in the hood in ATL near Turner Field in the summers of '07 and '08. I suspect it's a lot different now.

A tour on Google Maps says maybe not.

I dig the Grant Park area.

Last edited:
I hung out in Decatur and Edgewood/Kirkwood in the last couple of years and both seemed pretty cool. Not a terrible walk to Little Five Points or East Atlanta Village, and those seemed like semi-happening spots. My friends living there were single-income with a toddler, too, and rented a pretty sweet place. They seemed to subscribe to the theory that gentrification began with lesbians, then gays, then hipsters, then rich whities, and their area was still in the "gay" phase, so not as segregated/gentrified. It looked pretty diverse from my weekend there, and the park next to their place definitely had some shit going down.

I might be down for Atlanta, overall though, if I found a cool place from which I could bike/walk places.

Back