• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where Should I Live?

Where Should I Live

• Total voters

MysteryMen

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
So, I basically have to figure out this summer where I want to live for probably at least the next 3-5 years. Options are basically down to NYC, LA, DC. Weigh in

So, I basically have to figure out this summer where I want to live for probably at least the next 3-5 years. Options are basically down to NYC, LA, DC. Weigh in

What do you like and dislike? Where have you lived before? What worked/what didn't? What will you be doing for 3-5 years?

Of those choices (and the generous background details you've provided to inform the decision) I'd say NYC or gtfo

What do you like and dislike? Where have you lived before? What worked/what didn't? What will you be doing for 3-5 years?

I'm living in NYC now. It's fine, but not sure I want to be there long term. I lived in LA this summer and liked it, but wasn't a huge fan of how disconnected I felt from people on the East Coast. Still overwhelming a positive experience though

I'm going to be being a lawyer, probably at a firm. I like LA because I think the quality of life is a little better in the profession than in NYC. DC is on the list for the possibility of getting into government in a few years, which I'm somewhat interested in.

I'm living in NYC now. It's fine, but not sure I want to be there long term. I lived in LA this summer and liked it, but wasn't a huge fan of how disconnected I felt from people on the East Coast. Still overwhelming a positive experience though

I'm going to be being a lawyer, probably at a firm. I like LA because I think the quality of life is a little better in the profession than in NYC. DC is on the list for the possibility of getting into government in a few years, which I'm somewhat interested in.

Why would you omit that fact?

Obviously you don't get nyc

Move to Charlotte

Why would you omit that fact?

Obviously you don't get nyc

Move to Charlotte

No, I get NYC and I really like it. But at some point I'm going to want a yard for a family and I don't want to commute from Connecticut/Jersey.

La and dc won't be commutes?

Eh the commute in LA will be a lot less of a pain than NYC. I'd guess DC probably wouldn't be much better, but I don't know enough about it.

Plus, if we're being honest, the allure of living in NYC comes from actually living in NYC. Living in Jersey and going into the city to work is a lot less alluring. Much different than LA, where you can still live in the city and have a house

No one lives in LA proper, it's a shithole - mass transit commute >>>>>>>>>>> hour long commute in a car going 4 total miles. If you like the beach and want good weather and don't get road rage go to LA. If you want to live in a city and not have to get in your car for everything, live in NYC - DC is the last option because you get the worst of both worlds

Plenty of places to live in DC where you don't need a car to get to work.

You should probably go where you get a job. My understanding is that legal jobs aren't dropping into people's laps these days

And you could have a decent yard, but it probably wouldn't be less than $1mm (based on what I know about NW DC proper)

Last edited:
1 of those cities is not like the others. *hint, it's DC, hint*

NYC or LA. I'd list 50 cities in the US I'd rather live in than DC.

No one lives in LA proper, it's a shithole - mass transit commute >>>>>>>>>>> hour long commute in a car going 4 total miles. If you like the beach and want good weather and don't get road rage go to LA. If you want to live in a city and not have to get in your car for everything, live in NYC - DC is the last option because you get the worst of both worlds

You can commute from say, Pasadena, to downtown in a lot less than an hour. I wouldn't want to live in Pasadena off the bat, but maybe if I had kids I would

You should probably go where you get a job. My understanding is that legal jobs aren't dropping into people's laps these days

I have offers in LA. Pretty sure I will have some in NY too

Back