• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Yeah he picked Wolford and stuck with him throughout last year. But none were healthy enough to last the entire year.

More notes from the Dan Collins article here

In addition to the 77 yard TD reception, Claude also took a kick return back 94 yards for a score. Clawson said Claude might be the most improved player in camp. That’s great news considering he was already known to be one of the fastest (actually, probably the fastest) player on the team.

The running backs had runs of 59 yards (Colburn), 23 yards (Reid) and 13 yards (Carney). It’s also worth noting that the top 3 RBs also managed to gain 2.8 yards per carry on their other 25 carries. That’s a big improvement from the first scrimmage where that same stat was something closer to 1.0 yards per carry.

The starting OL was the same as the first scrimmage: Herron/Hayworth/Harris/Gilliam/Anderson. Haynes missed with injury.

The starting defense was
DE Chris Calhoun (Ejiofor missed with injury)
DT Chris Stewart (Banks missed with injury)
DT Willie Yarbary
DE Wendell Dunn
LB Marquel Lee
LB Jaboree Williams
ROVER Demetrius Kemp
CB Brad Watson
CB Essang Bassey
S Jessie Bates
S Ryan Janvion

It’s notable that Chris Calhoun got the start at DE. In the first scrimmage I thought that Rashawn Shaw and Paris Black got more time with the 1s. DE remains the position where we probably have the least clarity regarding how the snaps will be distributed (other than Ejiofor once he is healthy).

Dan had Kemp as the starter at Rover after Thomas Brown played with the 1s in scrimmage #1.

With Essang Bassey starting at CB I would assume that Dionte Austin was out with an injury. I suspect that safety Cameron Glenn probably missed the scrimmage as well.

Last edited:
Reports this summer seem to indicate that Hinton has upped his passing game and worked on correcting some of his flaws...that would be huge if it can translate onto the game field. Tons of respect for wolford, but if the passing advantage has shrunk and Hinton is showing he can sling it, I think you have to go with Hinton because of the dual threat advantage (not to mention the just the "threat" of him running the ball makes the other team focus on that and opens up other things, which you cannot say about wolford).

I prefer Hinton to Wolford although haven't seen either live since last seaon. As to the point about running though, Wolford had 4 rushes for 28 yds yest compared to Hinton's 10 for 14 according to stats I saw. A healthy Wolford with a capable 2nd quarteback makes him a bit more of a dual threat.

Until we can put an effective ground game on the field, I'd prefer to see Hinton so we have some semblance of a running threat. And less likely to get sacked.

Until we can put an effective ground game on the field, I'd prefer to see Hinton so we have some semblance of a running threat. And less likely to get sacked.

Some of these comments seem to ignore the fact that Wolford and Hinton are equally as fast. It's easily argued, however, that Hinton is more creative and elusive.

Sacks? Hinton took four of them yesterday to Wolford's goose egg. Small sample size, and it was under conditions where if you get touched you're considered down. That being said, Hinton got waffled once on accident, so it's not like he would have evaded all four sacks. In fact, in the two scrimmages combined, Hinton has been "sacked" nine times to just twice for Wolford.

Last year this time, Wolford was the clear no. 1 choice. That isn't the case right now.

Obviously the normal caveats about small sample sizes apply, but here is a comparison of passing stats for Hinton and Wolford in the two scrimmages (combined):

Wolford – 62% completion percentage and 9 yards per completion.

Hinton – 66% completion percentage and 11 yards per completion (note that Hinton’s yards per completion is inflated by the long catch and run by Steven Claude last night. If you remove that play his average drops to 8 yards per completion).

Both QBs worked a lot on shorter passes in the scrimmages and there's not much differentiation there. So the storyline is really the completion percentage. Wolford stayed about where he was in the spring (he’s consistently in the 62-65 range) but Hinton brought his % up significantly from a comparatively poor performance in the spring.

One note on trying to derive anything useful from sack totals - Hinton runs more often and anytime he gets tackled for a loss on a rushing attempt it goes down as a sack. So Hinton will almost always get sacked more than Wolford, but that comes from having more rushing attempts.

A few other notes:

TJ Haney has landed at Charleston Southern

LaRonde Liverpool tweeted that yesterday was his first day at Wake, so it appears that the plan to greyshirt has changed.

I was disappointed to see that Kyle Kearns had only 3 passing attempts yesterday. Keep in mind that if it weren't for trying to preserve his redshirt he would have played last year when our QB injury situation was at its most dire. There is a good chance he will see the field at some point this year, so I'm a little surprised to see him getting so few reps.

Did Liverpool take Haney's scholarship that just opened up?

A few other notes:

TJ Haney has landed at Charleston Southern

LaRonde Liverpool tweeted that yesterday was his first day at Wake, so it appears that the plan to greyshirt has changed.

I was disappointed to see that Kyle Kearns had only 3 passing attempts yesterday. Keep in mind that if it weren't for trying to preserve his redshirt he would have played last year when our QB injury situation was at its most dire. There is a good chance he will see the field at some point this year, so I'm a little surprised to see him getting so few reps.

I seem to recall a post of yours which indicated that Liverpool was being moved from OLB to TE. Do I have that right?

I've been a Wolford fan, and will continue to be, but if Hinton has improved his arm to average and can handle the huddle and the LOS (this was a weakness of his last year) & it's close I think you go with Hinton to start (he can just do more).

(Post-Spring IMHO) on a
Bad - Below Avg - Avg - Above Avg - Good
scale:

Wolford:
Arm - average
Mobility - average

Hinton
Arm - below average
Mobility - above average*

I seem to recall a post of yours which indicated that Liverpool was being moved from OLB to TE. Do I have that right?

Yes, TE is correct. During his recruitment I had him pegged as a DE. Later on I heard the story that following his workout he was offered as a DE, LB or TE (his choice). He asked what would help the team the most and was told TE. At the NSD reception Clawson most definitely held open the possibility that he switches back to D at some point.

My impression of Liverpool is that he is a really good kid. He's also been very pro-Wake on Twitter and clearly has been eager to get on campus.

He did suffer an injury that cost him a big part of his senior season in high school, however once he is fully rehabbed he should be good.

Liverpool had other P5 options. The highlights they showed at NSD showed him destroying some guys. Good stuff.

Last edited:
I've been a Wolford fan, and will continue to be, but if Hinton has improved his arm to average and can handle the huddle and the LOS (this was a weakness of his last year) & it's close I think you go with Hinton to start (he can just do more).

(Post-Spring IMHO) on a
Bad - Below Avg - Avg - Above Avg - Good
scale:

Wolford:
Arm - average
Mobility - average

Hinton
Arm - below average
Mobility - above average*

Are you talking arm strength or accuracy? Hinton certainly seems to throw the ball with more pace than Wolford. Also from the moment that he set foot on campus he has appeared to have a better deep ball than Wolford.

Are you talking arm strength or accuracy? Hinton certainly seems to throw the ball with more pace than Wolford. Also from the moment that he set foot on campus he has appeared to have a better deep ball than Wolford.

Yeah. Agree here. Hinton's arm strength is significantly better than Wolford's. Accuracy is the only question.

Some of these comments seem to ignore the fact that Wolford and Hinton are equally as fast. It's easily argued, however, that Hinton is more creative and elusive.

Sacks? Hinton took four of them yesterday to Wolford's goose egg. Small sample size, and it was under conditions where if you get touched you're considered down. That being said, Hinton got waffled once on accident, so it's not like he would have evaded all four sacks. In fact, in the two scrimmages combined, Hinton has been "sacked" nine times to just twice for Wolford.

Last year this time, Wolford was the clear no. 1 choice. That isn't the case right now.

They might have a similar 40 time, but there is no question who is the bigger threat to run. It's not close.

Re: Hinton. And, I'm sure 99% of the board already knows this.... But here goes....

His threat to run helps to neutralize defenses, especially the linebackers, for 1-2 seconds. That's really huge when you have a very suspect OL that can barely hold blocks to open holes for the running backs.

I thought Hinton was a significant factor in our very competitive FSU game last year. When Hinton was in the game, the FSU LBs were on their heels, not knowing if he was going to take-off up field.
His run threat helps our very anemic offense by keeping defenses honest. When Wolford is in the game, it's essentially a blitz on every play.

Just my 2 cents.

Back