• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Not to be forgotten, Hinton is a sophomore and Wolford is a junior.

Re: Hinton. And, I'm sure 99% of the board already knows this.... But here goes....

His threat to run helps to neutralize defenses, especially the linebackers, for 1-2 seconds. That's really huge when you have a very suspect OL that can barely hold blocks to open holes for the running backs.

I thought Hinton was a significant factor in our very competitive FSU game last year. When Hinton was in the game, the FSU LBs were on their heels, not knowing if he was going to take-off up field.
His run threat helps our very anemic offense by keeping defenses honest. When Wolford is in the game, it's essentially a blitz on every play.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't forget that Josh Harris had an absolutely monster game against VaTech his freshman year. A feat he never repeated. I'm not sure Hinton's FSU game isn't becoming the same kind of legend probably for similar reasons. However, I hope he plays often and if better than Wolford really shows it in a big way.

I am a big hinton fan but last year he made some dumb throws. Wolford makes very few dumb throws. Almost none. His balls get tipped though but so do hinton's. We have 1 qb on our roster w a 50 yard td run. Hint: it's not hinton. Most fans aren't respecting that wolford played most of the year on a high ankle sprain.

Wolford strikes me as a guy who is just not enough of a beast to stay healthy in div 1 football for his position. Not a knock. Hinton may not be either. He took some pro bersion of rg3 hits last year.

As someone said I think we will need 3 qbs this year and our best option from week to week may be our healthiest one

None of our QBs have been good enough to stake permanent claim to the job. While I understand the benefit of getting all of the first team reps each week, as was said earlier, this doesn't matter when you field players who are more likely to get hurt. Deploy them situationally, IMO.

I am a big hinton fan but last year he made some dumb throws. Wolford makes very few dumb throws. Almost none. His balls get tipped though but so do hinton's. We have 1 qb on our roster w a 50 yard td run. Hint: it's not hinton. Most fans aren't respecting that wolford played most of the year on a high ankle sprain.

Wolford strikes me as a guy who is just not enough of a beast to stay healthy in div 1 football for his position. Not a knock. Hinton may not be either. He took some pro bersion of rg3 hits last year.

As someone said I think we will need 3 qbs this year and our best option from week to week may be our healthiest one

Are you forgetting Hinton ran for a 69 yard TD against NCState last year?

Didn't Hinton lead the team in rushing TD's. Also, he had a 60-70 yd touchdown against NCSU. I think that his elusiveness is the difference maker in this decision. How often does a football player get to run full speed in a straight line. It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you stop and start.

Didn't Hinton lead the team in rushing TD's. Also, he had a 60-70 yd touchdown against NCSU. I think that his elusiveness is the difference maker in this decision. How often does a football player get to run full speed in a straight line. It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you stop and start.

Hinton had 7 of the team's 12 rushing TDs last season. Also if you look at gross yards rushing (eliminating losses from sacks) he led the team. Had about 20 more yards than Tyler Bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinton had 7 of the team's 12 rushing TDs last season. Also if you look at gross yards rushing (eliminating losses from sacks) he led the team. Had about 20 more yards than Tyler Bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When in doubt play the best athlete. Always.

Hinton simply has a higher ceiling than Wolford

Amen...said it all last season but I didn't have the inside info on health/injuries. Hinton won the game at Army and really played well in about every game he had a chance to get good reps. Besides the State run and FSU game, Clemson and Louisville were notable performances. Most of the bad throws by both QBs was due to pressure, initial contact, or ball being tipped. Both are pretty good when they have time. Hinton throws better on the run and out of the pocket than Wolford, IMO.

Are you talking arm strength or accuracy? Hinton certainly seems to throw the ball with more pace than Wolford. Also from the moment that he set foot on campus he has appeared to have a better deep ball than Wolford.

Yes, accuracy. Should have been clear. Hinton has better zip and a better deep ball than Wolford.

I don't see any rationale for demoting the upperclass QB for the 1st game of the season. Not if there is no real difference in performance to this point. However, it is perfectly reasonable that he would be on a short leash if he performs poorly in the first couple of series.

I did forget hintons run. Sorry. Wolfords was against presby or some other inferior opponent 2 years ago. I juat think hr gutted out the season on a bad wheel and we should acknowledge that. It saved a year w Kearns

Hinton simply has a higher ceiling than Wolford

If he has improved on the short to intermediate passes then I think Hinton should be the starter. If not, then we have to have a guy back there who can make those throws.

Hinton has a very high upside and his legs make a strong case, but with Wolford you get more consistency in the passing game, and a higher floor.

Hinton had two or three absolute WTF interceptions when he was under pressure. I think Wolf's picks were more tipped balls or telegraphed passes that were broken on.

Don't forget that Josh Harris had an absolutely monster game against VaTech his freshman year. A feat he never repeated. I'm not sure Hinton's FSU game isn't becoming the same kind of legend probably for similar reasons. However, I hope he plays often and if better than Wolford really shows it in a big way.

Not many running backs go for 240 yards in a game in an entire career. Not really fair to say that he couldn't repeat it and hold that against him.

I hate to say it because the only way it would happen is through injury but man it would be nice for Hinton to take a RS.

I hate to say it because the only way it would happen is through injury but man it would be nice for Hinton to take a RS.

Not with these promising QBs in the pipeline.

How has Newman looked so far?

If it was flag football and we were choosing up sides, and I take Hinton and you take Wolford, my team is going to beat your team 7 out of 10 times.

Back