• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

From someone 15 hours away who reads and watches everything possible but can't actually get over to see a practice I hope someone can answer this or let me know if already discussed. What is going on with Kearns? He was the highest rated QB in program history and doesn't even get a look in this QB battle?

Rightly or wrongly I think the decision was made early on that the staff wasn’t going to turn the keys over to Kearns this season because he lacked experience running the offense in practice and games. Then Hinton and Wolford needed a big percentage of the reps to essentially prepare two starters. So Kearns has been left with whatever reps the third team was able to get. But he certainly hasn’t disappointed in the scrimmages. In the last summer’s second scrimmage he led a beautiful TD drive in his final series. In the spring he did the same thing with his last series (maybe not as picturesque, but just as effective). Then in his first series this summer he had the most impressive drive from any QB in the first scrimmage. I’m an unabashed Kearns fan, but I also know that he won’t move up the depth chart until the staff is willing (or able?) to invest more 1st team/2nd team practice reps in him.

The arm looks very legit. He has his share of bad looking throws, but who knows if the 3rd string WRs are even running the right routes. The whole third string O looks just as messy as you would imagine.

I'm fine with playing both qb's I guess. Last year Rugiero didn't go about it in the right way. He only ran read options when hinton was in the game and the defense knew exactly what was coming. If I remember correctly, Hinton was put into games for a single play, ran a read option, and took him back out. That is not the way to go about things if you're going to have Wolford as the starting quarterback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratching my head a bit at this. Hinton seemed to be the guy that gave us a better chance to win. Understand that he makes more mistakes, but a mistake-free Wolford doesn't happen much, either.

Scratching my head a bit at this. Hinton seemed to be the guy that gave us a better chance to win. Understand that he makes more mistakes, but a mistake-free Wolford doesn't happen much, either.

Well said. Hinton is the only player on offense aside from Cam who has demonstrated high ACC level skill at anything. Give him a shot.

Wolford got an entire season to show what he could and couldn't do. Hinton will get a few plays here and there barring injury.

Wolford got an entire season to show what he could and couldn't do. Hinton will get a few plays here and there barring injury.

I certainly didn't interpret it as a "few plays." They're both going to play. Clawson refused to divulge exactly how it will be split out, as that does nothing but help the opposition game plan, but I'd be shocked if Hinton wasn't in the game pretty darn close to the same amount of snaps as Wolford. Hinton is too valuable to have on the sideline.

Well all we have to go on is last year's in which Hinton was the running QB and Wolford was the passing QB.

It really doesn't matter how they're rotated. The problem is that it's still an unsettled QB situation.

Well all we have to go on is last year's in which Hinton was the running QB and Wolford was the passing QB.

It really doesn't matter how they're rotated. The problem is that it's still an unsettled QB situation.

The problem last year (IIRC) wasn't really that either of our QBs were that bad, but the O-line couldn't give them any time to throw so they were always running for their lives or throwing too quickly and that made them "bad".

Last edited:

How is it unsettled? They're both playing. They both know what their role will be at the start of the season.

Last year Kendall was more of a running QB because he had a bum shoulder. Last year Wolford was more of a pocket passing QB because he had a high ankle sprain. This year they're both healthy (so far) and the competition was ridiculously close.

How is it unsettled? They're both playing. They both know what their role will be at the start of the season.

Last year Kendall was more of a running QB because he had a bum shoulder. Last year Wolford was more of a pocket passing QB because he had a high ankle sprain. This year they're both healthy (so far) and the competition was ridiculously close.

[Clawson] made it clear that, this time around, he would rather have either Kendall Hinton or John Wolford cement their spot as the clear starter.
“We do not want to be a two-quarterback system,” he said.
--- WSJ, July 22, 2016

still seeking charter members for the #clawsoutclub. don't miss out!

Yeah. It's unsettled because they're both playing.

The OL was bad but we need a QB who can do the most behind a weak OL. Picking the QB who can play the best with an OL we don't have doesn't make sense.

Yeah. It's unsettled because they're both playing.

The OL was bad but we need a QB who can do the most behind a weak OL. Picking the QB who can play the best with an OL we don't have doesn't make sense.

Did they not play with that offensive line all during camp? You know making reads and accurately finding targets quickly can help you avoid having to scramble around, right?

They're both playing, and they both have solid value. I can't imagine how difficult it will be to figure out who plays when, but I think Hinton and Wolford can make this work.

We have talked about foot speed and arm strength, but which QB makes the best decisions? That's who I want.

From what I've seen they are both good decision makers. Wolford has learned to get to the ground before he is pounded by a rushing defensive end. Hinton has a great side step he has learned to use when trying to avoid both defensive ends in the backfield.

so, back to back redshirt years. That is certainly intriguing

Huh? He redshirted last year.

ETA: cheese beat me to it.

Had it in my mind that he was from this class. That is odd he isn't being talked about. I can't imagine who we have being THAT much better than any of the other QBs. Especially a guy who was supposed to be a baller outta high school

So in actuality there was no competition at all.

Back