• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

The line also has to improve in run blocking. If we can't run the ball at all, D-lines are going to tee off on whoever is back there at QB.

One interesting note is how few redshirts will be burned against Tulane. It's possible that it could be as few as 3 (Carney, Maggio and Bassey) unless/until injuries hit.

The reasons that so few true freshmen will play is both 1) injuries in the 2016 class and 2) the 2015 class swarming onto the 2-deep. Overall it's an encouraging sign that few true freshmen have been needed so far.

True, I am optimistic about the line this year. Relative to the last couple years it SHOULD be improved. If the line prove to be a major issue again, I'm all for Hinton getting in more.

If tthe line is not improved someone head should roll

One interesting note is how few redshirts will be burned against Tulane. It's possible that it could be as few as 3 (Carney, Maggio and Bassey) unless/until injuries hit.

The reasons that so few true freshmen will play is both 1) injuries in the 2016 class and 2) the 2015 class swarming onto the 2-deep. Overall it's an encouraging sign that few true freshmen have been needed so far.

I think it's important to keep the RS on Dortch who showed flashes, but is still 160lbs. Very encouraged by him.

I think Carney is going to have a really good year for us. Guessed 750 yards and 5 TD's on BSD. That will help Wolford tremendously.

This will sort itself out. Hinton will have his chance to take the reins- he did last year and did not separate himself. Both QBs are prone to big mistakes and bad decisions- whoever is more efficient and can manage the game without the killing mistakes should play.

I still have my doubts about the mind numbing offensive scheme (gracious to call it a scheme) and as a big Clawson supporter I am reluctantly beginning to wonder like some others on the Board if he has the inclination, imagination, will and ability to develop an offense hoping that his UT experience was an anomaly. Sometimes I wonder if Lobo ever left. Ruggerio has not shown me anything so far and might prove to be the anchor around Clawson's neck.

I'm a little confused how you can be a "big Clawson supporter" and not trust his "mind numbing offensive scheme."

He's won at every level he has been at, and Ruggerio had a fantastic offense at BGSU by any metrics you look at.

Against Tulane, I'll expect a pretty vanilla offense. We'll step it up against Duke. Back it down against the Hens, and step it up against the Hoosiers. We won't tip our hand against the lesser opponents, and save our surprises for the P5 schools. What I want to see is our OL push somebody around and keep them out of the backfield. That will be a sign of progress.

Wolford was thrown to the wolves his freshman season. It's almost a miracle that he played as well as he did. Much of last season he played with a bad ankle sprain, which obviously limited his mobility. Hinton played with an injured shoulder which limited his ability to finish his passing motion.

So, the impression that Wolford is immobile and that Hinton is an inferior passer, both impressions are skewed. Wolford is better with his feet that many think and Hinton is a better passer than many seem to think. But, you can't bench a two year starter going into a new season unless the guy replacing him is so obviously superior that it would be ludicrous not to do so. Both have performed well in this preseason so the tie goes to the upperclassman starter.

Hinton will see lots of playing time and will have ample opportunity to win the starting position in real game situations. But no one should be surprised that Wolford is the starter if he has followed the practice reports and especially if he watched the Spring game and the public scrimmage.

As for Kearns, I think he may be the best passer of the three; but he is inexperienced and not as mobile as either of the other two. I expect that he will see plenty of action this season too.

good post.

I expect Wake to come out with their normal game plan against Tulane and play them straight up as if we were playing the top team in the country. We're not Ohio State or Alabama, we can't afford to take anyone lightly even if we're 17 point favorites in the opener. Tulane isn't good and likely isn't going to beat us, but it's not the same as opening against Elon or Delaware.

I expect Wake to come out with their normal game plan against Tulane and play them straight up as if we were playing the top team in the country. We're not Ohio State or Alabama, we can't afford to take anyone lightly even if we're 17 point favorites in the opener. Tulane isn't good and likely isn't going to beat us, but it's not the same as opening against Elon or Delaware.

Tulane is worse than Elon?

Wow. That's... optimistic. That would be 150 yards more than any RB at Wake since 2011.

Yeah no way. I assume the only reason he's talked about is that awful video from the spring. I guess if he shows any ability at pass pro he might get some touches.

Yeah the line for Wolford his freshman year was probably the worst in the country, certainly one of the worst in P5 history. The rushing stats from that year are just downright embarrassing.

Yep, Animal House Bluto Blutarsky bad.... 0.0 :(

Tulane is worse than Elon?

There are 253 D-1 football teams including all FCS and FBS teams. Last year, Tulane was the #151 team in the nation (just behind Idaho, NC A&T and Fordham). Elon was the #199 team. So, as of the end of the last year, Tulane was better (but not by a lot) than Elon (according to Sagarin). FWIW, last year, WF was #92. Just behind UCONN and just ahead of Colorado State. WF has more returning experience than just about any team in the nation (which means that WF should be improved from last year). Tulane hired a new coach after last year, and is breaking in a new system, which typically means growing pains.

Back