• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Not the most flattering description of our offense here from a respected writer. Interesting question from this article. If the Deacs win 4 is Clawson on the hot seat? With this schedule, not sure he would get fired, but would face a lot of heat going into 2017.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...n-les-miles-charlie-strong-gus-malzahn-082416

It is ridiculous to speculate about Clawson being on a hot seat. Grobe left the cupboard absolutely barren. Nick Saban would not have done any better the last 2 years.

Until we start playing on an even playing field(cheating), our ceiling will be 5-7 wins with our floor at 0-2

It is ridiculous to speculate about Clawson being on a hot seat. Grobe left the cupboard absolutely barren. Nick Saban would not have done any better the last 2 years.

I agree. It is appalling how fall we fell in terms of talent. Our #1 RB from a short time ago is now a defensive back. Clawson's recruiting is really amazing in light of our record in recent years. We have some surprising talent, apparently.

Now, he must demonstrate the ability to coach these recruits into a winning team. Perhaps this season is too soon; but I am hopeful...and admittedly a bit impatient.

Teams weren't cheating '06-08?

I hate when people say this but it's true that FSU was down for 3-4 years towards the end of daggum old Bobby B's tenure, Clemson was not yet the national powerhouse that they are today, NC State didn't have much momentum and Duke was Duke. This was before Louisville joined the ACC as well. The ACC is stacked(relatively), and the sad reality is we are a bottom tier team. I think we can surprise some people and win 5-7 games a year and MAYBE make a run at an 8 win season but it is becoming more challenging by the day. As good as our recruiting has been under Clawson, it's no better than any other team on Tobacco Road. I'm an eternal optimist too

Yes, I agree that if he gets the start next week he will touch the ball. I do not think he will receive enough reps throughout the year to hit 750 yards.

Only takes eight carries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always felt that our success should be judged on how we do vs our equals. The programs that are in the same boat that we're in. Beat our lesser , (Tulane, Army, Delaware). Compete against the better programs (Clemson '11, L'ville the last couple of times, comes to mind) and the season will be judged on how we do vs our Equals (BC, Syracuse, Duke, UVa, NCSU, Indiana). We'll know by the end of September whether to take some vacation in December.

I'd take the last decade Northwestern had. Any day of the week

Pat Fitzgerald is getting it done, relatively speaking, with 3* talent in a tough league. Stanford has a better national network of alumni. They would have been 8th or something in the gold medal count in Rio, vs other countries. Vandy is in our boat too.

Yes, he would have.

Yes, he would have.

+1. Hate Saban, but he probably would've won 3-4 games in 2014 and probably 5-6 last year. Not much better, but certainly better. The reason i could see him doing a little better is because I'd doubt he'd continue with the same hapless offensive scheme over and over and over again which produced next to nothing. I'm not saying clawson stinks. Just saying that Saban most certainly would have done better, albeit marginally

Pat Fitzgerald is getting it done, relatively speaking, with 3* talent in a tough league. Stanford has a better national network of alumni. They would have been 8th or something in the gold medal count in Rio, vs other countries. Vandy is in our boat too.

Stanford isn't a fair comp, but I see no reason why the other two aren't.

Duke also has had a couple decent seasons lately under Cut, apparently

This blocking scheme is predicated on which way the DL goes (inside or outside). That's what creates the hole to run through. The technique isn't about our lower body strength as much as catch and shoving with upper body strength. If quicker DLs can't be caught or bigger DLs can't be shoved, you end up with one of the worst offenses in the nation. They should learn how to pass block or run block first, and then try this hybrid technique.

Totally agree, perhaps it is because he doesn't have enough confidence in the ol to open the hole where the play is designed and this scheme is to give the rb the option to go where he sees daylight, if there is any.

I think that's what it is which is ridiculous. It trades a disadvantage for an even bigger disadvantage.

Notes from Clawson on the radio show:

On Wolford: “Throws the ball well and makes great decisions” “Great young man and great leader”

On Hinton: “He makes explosive plays” “Great person”

Part of the idea of playing Hinton at QB in every game is keeping him sharp in the event that he needs to start games later in the season.

People underestimate Wolford’s running ability and Hinton’s passing ability.

He briefly answered a question on Kyle Kearns by saying that he was continuing to learn offense and continuing to develop. Gets the 3rd team reps. They were also able to get him a lot of 2nd team reps. That was it.

He answered questions about the OL by saying it is on an upward trajectory. Not where it needs to be yet. It is the position that takes the longest time to build. Noted the increase in experience. Said Gilliam and Benzinger were where Haynes and Herron were last year and yet they don’t have to play as redshirt freshmen like Herron and Haynes did. Wake’s DL will tell you that the OL is improved.

Cade Carney, Essang Bassey, and Tra Redd will play as true freshmen (I think the staff has forgotten that Dom Maggio is a true freshman). They are going to try to redshirt the rest of the class. Named Greg Dortch, Brandon Chapman and Boogie Basham as examples of guys that may have to play if injuries were to hit.

He said that Cade Carney will start at RB.

Delayed handoff is part of read game that is common in college football. Reading D to make sure that there is not an unblocked player.

Named most of the young players on offense when he was asked about possible breakout players.

Josh Banks is poised to have his best year. Willie Yarbary has had a good camp and won the other starting role at DT. Chris Stewart and Shelldon Lewinson are the 2s at DT.

Ejiofor and Dunn will start at DE. Paris Black and Chris Calhoun are the 2s and will play a lot.

Last edited:
Back